mzawf.org • View topic - Food File
Login

• Advertisement

Food File

Food for thought? Favourite recipes
Healthy eating
Money saving tips.
Forum rules
Anything food ? Share your favourite recipe with other mzawf members. Share advice on money saving when making food purchases.
Advice on healthy eating and ways to maintain an optimum weight for a healthy and active life - whatever !
As this is an open forum and can be viewed by any user on the WWW you are sharing too the world.
Happy days !
  • Author
Re: Stevezy

Postby dub » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:47 am

Sorry about the picture m8....With the dawn of a new day and being less tipsey from the effects of the red wine.
The picture dosn't do the ragu full justice.
That aside though we thouroughly enjoyed the meal many many thanks.
I will recipricate the gesture before I return your container.
Maybe my overload bolognaise not sure though going to give it some thought.
Happy Days
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Advertisement

Postby steveizy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm glad you liked it .

I'm putting the recipe RICH RAGU in the anything food section in case any one else shares our tastes in rich food :shock:

Cheers S
steveizy
Support
Support

Have thanks: 482 times
Highscores: 2

Rich Ragu

Postby steveizy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:38 pm

RICH RAGU

This recipe came about from my search for the best authentic Italian ragu a few years ago. This is my take on them. In common with most of the authentic recipes I unearthed back then, this recipe may seem strange in that no herbs are used. They really aren't needed.

Preparation takes a while and the ragu needs to be simmered slowly in a very large saucepan, without catching, for about six hours so this makes this a good candidate for cooking a day before and reheating.

Also, the amounts given in the list do make a big pot, but you can easily halve everything if you prefer. I never do this because it is good frozen and reheated.

INGREDIENTS

4 tbsp. butter
4-6 tbsp. olive oil, not extra virgin

500g Lean steak mince
500g Pork mince
150g Chicken livers
250g Smoked bacon lardons

5 Medium onions
3 Carrots
3 Celery sticks
5 Garlic cloves, or to taste

1 Glass White wine
500ml Warm Milk
500ml Chicken stock

3 Tins Chopped tomatoes (Good quality)
Tomato puree
Salt, pepper to taste.

Firstly very finely dice the vegetables so that they are about 1/8 inch cubes, no bigger. This does take quite a long time but it is very important to the texture of the finished dish.

Using half the butter and oil fry the onions and garlic until beginning to soften. Add the carrots and celery then the bacon lardons. Fry until just starting to brown then transfer to the big saucepan on very low heat to keep warm while the meat is fried.

Roughly chop and mash the liver. Add the remaining oil and butter to the frying pan and fry the mince, adding small batches, until beginning to brown then add the livers, increase the heat and break them up to mix with the mince. Once the meat is browned and juice given by the meat is drying up, turn up the heat a bit and add the wine. Stir around to deglaze the pan and then reduce down a bit.

Pour the meat and wine into the saucepan containing the onions etc. increase the heat and bring to the boil and add the warm milk and the tins of tomatoes, puree and stock. Bring back to the boil add seasoning if required, then reduce heat to a slow simmer. It will be quite runny at this stage.

Stir occasionally and skim any excess oil. Keep simmering and stirring uncovered taking care not to let it burn for about six hours, adding water if needed to reduce down to a saucy consistency and concentrate those flavours!

Serve up with your favourite pasta and enjoy. :D
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:39 pm

PS. I meant to add that your picture does do it credit and the garlic bread adds a nice touch. So does the cheese - yum :). We often have too much ragu and too much pasta to have room on the plate for much else, except cheese :shock:

"Overload bolognaise" sounds, er, interesting :? I'm sure we will tuck in :)

Regards S.
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby dub » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:14 am

Game On ! 8-)
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks for the Lamb Korma Madras. It was gorgeous. As I didn't need to cook, I did my OTT special rice to go with it.

As you can see in the picture, we don't do small helpings ;) The meat was cooked to perfection and the curry was just right - not too hot or too mild.

Two absolutely clean plates was our verdict :D
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Sorry, the picture upload doesn't seem to work. :?:
steveizy
Support
Support