• View topic - Breakfast at Sainsbury's West Green
Login

• Advertisement

Breakfast at Sainsbury's West Green

:hungry
The Best Full English and Great Days Out !
Ruby Murray...Top Curries!
Forum rules
The Great Full English Breakfast has transgressed our shoreline and is as famous now globally as is the sandwich.
In The Best Full English forum write and tell other members about where you have enjoyed a good hearty English breakfast.
Maybe it was in Arenal Espania or in the heart of the Sussex countryside.
From the transport cafe to the posh eatery in Windsor your guaranteed to find a cafe providing an all-day breakfast.
Maybe you were en route to have a leisurely day out possibly off to the funfair...
Maybe it was a boating trip on the canals of The Norfolk Broads.
Whatever.
Write it in the best Full English and Great days Out forum and share with like minded people.
:yum
  • Author
Breakfast at Sainsbury's West Green

Postby steveizy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am

We thought we would try this as it is local to us and they used to do a reasonably priced breakfast.

The store has been enlarged and refurbished and the cafe is all gleaming new. That is all it has going for it though, I'm afraid.

We both had the "big breakfast" which consisted of 2 Sausages, 2 Bacon, Egg, Mushrooms, "Grilled tomato" Beans , Hash browns and Toast. This costs £5.95 so it is about the same as other establishments.

It was absolutely horrible :puke The sausages were cooked on one side only and did not seem to have any flavour whatsoever - nasty :thumbsdown The bacon was almost raw from the packet :thumbsdown The egg was just about edible, but undercooked and swimming in oil :thumbsdown The mushrooms were from a tin and just warmed :thumbsdown The tomatoes were undercooked, cold and hard in the middle :thumbsdown The beans were OK. The hash browns must have been deep fried for considerably longer than needed and were burnt and dry :thumbsdown Even the toast was poor - soggy :thumbsdown

Unusually for me, I had to leave half of it on the plate.

This was even worse than the Tavern - so bad that I can only give it 1/10. The one point only because they managed to warm some beans up without ruining them - otherwise it would be a big zero.

Not recommended whatsoever and something of a surprise considering that Sainsbury's sell food. They could showcase some of their better products for a slight reduction in profits rather than serve this muck up to potential customers. We have certainly been put off :(

I am writing to Sainsbury's over this issue and I want our money back as a minimum. If they send me vouchers as I suspect they will, then we will be very careful to only buy trusted brand stuff and certainly no sausages or bacon from them :no

Sorry for the rant - it needed to be said. I will update this if and when I get a reply.

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
Rating: 11.11%
steveizy
Admin
Admin

Cash on hand: 679,740.00
Bank: 6,535,830.50
Have thanks: 430 times
Highscores: 2

Advertisement

Re: Breakfast at Sainsbury's West Green

Postby steveizy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Northgate
CRAWLEY
West Sussex
RH10 ***
01293 *******
13 October 2011

Customer Complaints Department
J Sainsbury plc
33 Holborn
London
EC1N 2HT

Dear Sirs,
We used to use the cafe in the West Green, Crawley store on a fairly regular basis before the
refurbishment of the store and always found the breakfasts to be reasonable value for money and
edible.

Now that the refurbishment is complete, we thought we would try the gleaming new cafe.

We noticed that prices had increased so there is now no price advantage over other establishments.
But even worse was the quality of the food. Poor quality sausages cooked on one side, raw on the
other, bacon that was almost raw and tasteless, egg swimming in oil, soggy toast, horrible cold
tinned mushrooms, grilled tomatoes that were cold and hard in the middle and hash browns that
must have been deep fried for a long time and were burnt and crunchy. All in all, this turned out to
be the worst breakfast we have ever had anywhere. So bad that we left most of it and decided to
abandon our planned shop in the store.

We know that you have to make a profit, but using what must be the cheapest and nastiest ingredients,
then cooking them badly, just shows contempt for customers and does you no favours whatsoever in
the long run. We were certainly put off from doing our weekly shop and decided to go to another
supermarket instead.

We paid £11.90 for two “Big Breakfasts”, left half of it on the plate and came away with a very poor
impression of Sainsburys. The worst £11.90 we've ever spent.

We do hope that you can confirm that the ingredients used were, indeed, the cheapest and not
reflective of the products you sell in the store. Also you might like to consider that your cafe is, or
should be, a showcase for your store.

We await your comments on the issues raised with interest.

Yours faithfully,
Steve and Carol **********

dub
steveizy
Admin
Admin

Postby Nevis » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:17 pm

After reading your post. I suddenly feel like reaching for a sick bucket (as my nan would say).
How horrible. I intend to investigate this to the fullest. I may need to go under-cover. Watch this space..... xx :kiss

For this message the author Nevis has received thanks:
dub
Nevis
Admin
Admin

Cash on hand: 1,962.00
Bank: 4,591,070.62
Have thanks: 503 times
Highscores: 20
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby steveizy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:05 am

Nevis wrote:After reading your post. I suddenly feel like reaching for a sick bucket (as my nan would say).
How horrible. I intend to investigate this to the fullest. I may need to go under-cover. Watch this space..... xx :kiss

Sorry if the post turned your stomach!

Make sure you are absolutely starving first, take two bags... one for, err, any emergencies and a doggy bag for the dogs. On second thoughts forget the doggy bag as it would be an act of animal cruelty to feed them this stuff :lol:

I'll be interested in your findings!

dub
steveizy
Admin
Admin

Postby Nevis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:21 am

[0.14..MZAWF.png]
:scarf Did you get any reply to your letter of complaint? :scarf

For this message the author Nevis has received thanks:
dub
Nevis
Admin
Admin

Cash on hand: 1,962.00
Bank: 4,591,070.62
Have thanks: 503 times
Highscores: 20
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby steveizy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Nevis wrote:[0.14..MZAWF.png]
:scarf Did you get any reply to your letter of complaint? :scarf

Oh yes, I thought I posted about it but I must have had a senior moment :scratch

Sainsburys wrote back and confirmed that the bacon and sausages were not items that they sell in their store but were, indeed , purchased just to cook and sell in the cafe. Horrible, nasty cheap stuff.

I also was fed the unbelievable line that despite the slight price increase, "they were committed to offering great quality food at fair prices which is sourced with integrity" and that there were lots of factors that could affect their pricing in a competitive market with rising costs.

Basically that means that they, despite their huge commercial advantage in obtaining ingredients at the lowest possible cost compared to, say, the Broadfield Cafe, do not even try to address the issue of giving good value, quality food but instead hope to rely on turnover in their Cafe to make their bottom line with little regard to customers or the food.

They even tried to lecture me over the many factors that can affect prices which ranged from rising costs, even transportation and packaging you know!

My suggestions that they could use their cafe to promote some of their best products fell on deaf ears.

I was then admonished for not taking this up with them at the time!

However, they did send me £15 in vouchers to cover costs

dub
steveizy
Admin
Admin

Return to Anything Food