mzawf.org • View topic - The Hobbit and TGI on Friday
Login

• Advertisement

The Hobbit and TGI on Friday

This forum gives you the opportunity to share your experiences with others.
Make the ordinary extra ordinary...join the forum now
Forum rules
This forum welcomes contributions from you if you have something to share about your everyday experience, it might be something about your job or it might be about an ambition or a particular experience that stands out as a challenge, achievement, disappointment!
  • Author
The Hobbit and TGI on Friday

Postby dub » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Mrs V wanted to watch a newly released film called The Hobbit :aok

So off we went to the flicks for a day out, the plan was to visit the picture house and then after enjoy a feast at TGI Friday which is close by the cinema.
The film has a running time of 169 minutes. Opting for the 2d screening with special D-Box seating which is designed to add an extra dimension to the viewer’s experience ( It's a sort of shake rattle and roll re-adapted massage seat :joker of which fell short , because I think the experience would have been more enhanced if there was a footrest attached. (Probably H & S prevents that addition).
So with my feet firmly on the ground I settled into my electronically controlled wobbly seat for the long haul of a film that is more than two hours long. The film based on a very popular story that is a precursor to the Lord of the rings Trilogy.
The special effects and film quality were stunning and before long I became engrossed in the story. Partly this was due to the fact that the both characters and monsters and scenery appeared as a plausible reality and believable within the confines of the picture.
My initial worries of the film being overly long, and me being afraid that I might doze off ( the wobbly Chair ensured that wouldn’t occur) I was surprised when the lights went on :o and shocked that the time had flown keeping my attention focused on the action at all times. I was really impressed by the characters and actors in the film it almost cut it for me. :scratch
Initially at first when the lights went on signalling the end of the show, I thought that it was just an intermission break.
This was because the story had really only just begun and it left me hanging in mid air without a proper ending .
Very helpful for the film maker and picture house, methinks there is going to be at least another two films before any conclusion to this story is reached.
Still I had good & enjoyable experience and will certainly have to go and see the coming sequels (mind you probably pass on the D-Box seat and likely opt for the 3d experience next time.

On to a feast at TGI Friday, :hungry on arriving it was little past three in the afternoon and the restaurant was practically empty.
We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff that showed us to the table of our choice. The cocktail and food menu looked impressive and I was up for a quality food fest.
Alas this wasn’t going to be the case. :no
Mrs V and chose the combo meal the only difference was that Nevis choose a vegetable medley and I the salad accompaniment. When asked how we would like our steaks cooked we stated medium would be good for us both.
The meals arrived after a short wait and looked good.
Sadly though it was lousy, the steaks were over-cooked the ribs were of a supermarket quality and the accompanying Jack Daniels sauce was much like Ho-sin sauce. Any connection to a whisky flavour was just non-existent JD by name only.
I ordered some of Joe’s extra hot chilli sauce which turned out to be like red vinaigrette (tip to TGI ; it’s always a good idea to shake the bottle well before serving a portion of any sauce to the customer).
My salad turned out be a selection of lettuce leaf with a tomato salsa on top, no cucumber or onion sliced tomato or anything salad like apart from the lettuce :angry .
Mrs V spoonful of mixed vegetables were overcooked and inedible. :wub
The shrimps in breadcrumbs were quite enjoyable we both agreed. :yes
The onion rings Nevis liked and I saw them as breadcrumb rings with a slither of something without any flavour in the centre.
Moving on to the cocktails drinks which weren’t cheap to buy.
In my intention to make merry :celebrate I chose a drink with as many combinations of alcohol as possible as did Mrs V.
It turned to be another disappointment as in that with the champagne and brandy alone, I thought I might feel at least a little tipsy :yes
NOOOO Not so !
Same, same for Nevis, a wind up.
Methinks that, in the unlikely event of ever going back there for a meal. I would certainly insist on seeing the cocktail bar person make up the drinks in front of me to ensure they don’t miss anything out, say like any thing remotely alcoholic. :rotfl
In hindsight I could have made a scene but probably best not though, and I didn’t as not to ruin an otherwise good day out.
( I still might write a letter of complaint)
Marks out of 10 ?
I would award four, because I'm feeling, kind of kind. :-D :innocent
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Advertisement

Return to >>>A day in a life !