mzawf.org • View topic - Casualty
Login

• Advertisement

Casualty

This forum gives you the opportunity to share your experiences with others.
Make the ordinary extra ordinary...join the forum now
Forum rules
This forum welcomes contributions from you if you have something to share about your everyday experience, it might be something about your job or it might be about an ambition or a particular experience that stands out as a challenge, achievement, disappointment!
  • Author
Casualty

Postby ArthurBrown » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Casualty
My dad had a fall and broke his thigh bone, so the last ten days I have been mainly at the hospital. He had surgery to place some metal work to the bone. My dad is ninety and has dementia. He was extremely distressed and was dependant on a range of public service workers who rarely get commended for making such a massive difference to lives of people as they go through these experiences and accidents.
The first people to help were the fire service, who had to break into my dad’s house. They managed to do this, whilst causing minimal damage to the door. The ambulance service helped my dad with pain and his severe injury meant that morphine was the best option. 48 hours later he had surgery, and then for five days looked often confused and distressed not knowing where he was. Each day he was cheered up by staff of many levels, trying to make his hospital experience as bearable as possible.

The surgery was slow in coming, we were forced to wait 48hrs in the emergency department – but the compassion and brightness of staff making him feel well cared for which was difficult as I watched an over-stretched staff tired and under pressure showing such dedication. I came away with renewed respect for NHS staff, who although clearly pushed to their limits did their very best to help my dad get better
He has courage, and will fight to recover and now with 2 weeks in a rehab centre to help him regain his mobility to the level where he can return home safely. I must again commend the many NHS workers who have taken extra time to care for my dad and many others like him
Thanks to nurses ambulance staff

Arthur Brown

For this message the author ArthurBrown has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
ArthurBrown

Have thanks: 39 times

Advertisement

Re: Casualty

Postby mym8 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:30 pm

my m8 is in Brighton hospital and hopefully gets well soon also praises the nursing staff for their hard work. But after sitting in A&E for 9 hours waiting to be allocated a bed, then said the food is so bad several patients on his ward collectively refused to eat the prepared food because it was looked like dog [smiliefurious.gif] and appeared totally inedible. During another conversation I was told that if somebody is in need of resuscitation you get put on the waiting list hospitals are at breaking point. Can it be fixed? :shock:
mym8

My Old Man!

Postby ArthurBrown » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:28 pm

My old man should be treated better than a dog?
A month of rehabilitation, and my old man is struggling to learn to walk once more. The dementia makes everything a challenge and he can’t express or articulate his needs from his hospital bed. Patients come and go around him, which convinces him that he is not getting any better and the only person remaining. I try to explain to him that this is not the case, but his is down in the dumps and anxious and tired. For months now prior to his most recent accident and surgery he has been asking me to help him end it all. But I avoid it and try to ignore these words and the desperation behind them. Death is an awful prospect wherever, whenever it visits. I left the hospital and bumped into an old friend of mine and he told me that his beloved pet of fifteen years had been put to sleep last week. He said the dog licked him all over the face and then the dog just rested his head on his shoulder and died instantly, free from his struggle with pain and distress and it made me wonder why the whole death question for my old man wasn’t made easier. A peaceful dignified death of his choosing would be the ideal. But his capacity is to suspect and can no longer organise very much for himself. But I can’t deal with that as an option for him, but do think that the time has come as a society, for us to be more open, and realistic about the quality of life our older citizens are living.
For me, I think a little small drink in Geneva a dignitas way out, would be an ideal and perfect solution. When my diagnosis becomes terminal, as it inevitably will Meanwhile for my old dad I can only hope that struggle is replaced by perfect peace – what’s the point of suffering---------------On?!
Arthur Brown.
ArthurBrown

Have thanks: 39 times

Return to >>>A day in a life !