• View topic - Crawley in League 1
Login

  • Advertisement

Crawley in League 1

The fortunes of Crawley
Town Football Club
:crawleyscarf
Forum rules
Dedicated to Crawley Town Football Club !
Come on the Reds
  • Author
    Message

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:23 pm

dub wrote:Crawley Town 0, Portsmouth 3. (Sunday 9th September)

The Reds lost to Portsmouth in a shocking defeat after being reduced to 9 men, a result of some dubious refereeing decision making.
The sending off of Josh Simpson and Hope Akpan gave Pompey one serious advantage.
Portsmouth playing 11 to 9 were bound to take control of play and that's what happened !
Against adversity Crawley battled to balance this numerical advantage, but after loosing two players it was all about damage limitation.

Not wanting to sound a bad sport :innocent methinks that had this cruel twist of fate had not occurred :no :thumbsdown In the worse case senario :crawleyscarf would resulted a no score draw at the final whistle.

It's again another example of how unpredictable prediction making is :rotfl a bad decision by the match official :angry can send things belly up
It;s just a blip 4 The Barkers Boys... next up :clap :clap
PRESTON v CRAWLEY TOWN (away npower League Sat 15 Sep 12, 15:00)
Preston held a nil nil draw against Scunthorpe earliar this year and the :reddevils trounced The Iron 3 -0 back in August, :punch :punch
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf
:mz:


I was going to report this match but thanks to Dub, I will not need to now!

Dreadful game, awful referee just about sums it up... The Reds did not look good before the sendings-off but once they happened we'd had it :thumbsdown

Hopefully just a blip - one that we can learn from. Two players suspended over their dismissals won't help us. No appeal possible as not straight reds but two yellows.

Onwards and upwards... Off to Preston North End on Saturday - I'm going of course, hoping for a revival though this is going to be tough, very tough. I'd bite your hand off if you offered me a draw and a point from this today! Whatever the result, it will be a good day out to a new ground :scarf

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Advertisement

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 am

Preston North End 1 Crawley Town 2

Due to another matter, I was unable to go to the match in the end despite having a ticket. It seems that the Reds did quite well without me!

I listened to the live commentary on the Reds Player instead. The first half saw Preston start quite brightly but it wasn't long before Crawley got into the match, pressing Preston back into their half for long periods. The first half ended goalless.

The second half started with Crawley in the driving seat again. In the 54th minute, Gary Alexander headed home a cross from Nicky Adams from short range :applause 0-1 Four minutes later it was Alexander again when he let one go from distance, beating their keeper :applause By all accounts this was a world class goal. 0-2. Crawley came close once or twice more but it was Preston who got one back in the 91st minute 1-2 and with five minutes added time the last minutes were tense, to say the least. Full time eventually 1-2. What a difference six days made... last week the disappointment of losing so badly to Portsmouth at home to this week when we took the points from an iconic team that were unbeaten in their previous five matches.

This result sees the Reds in fourth place in League 1 with other big and famous teams below us. Of course, the season is still young and anything can happen in football as we all know but what a position to be in especially after losses to Swindon and Pompey!

Next up is our journey to Colchester on Tuesday evening, again I have match and travel tickets and I'm really hoping that I will be able to go. Colchester are currently sitting at the bottom of the table, having only three points from their six games whilst Crawley have twelve points from six. Colchester will have something to prove and will be up for this match but if we can play like we did yesterday, we should beat them. If only it were that simple...

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby dub » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:45 pm

steveizy wrote:Preston North End 1 Crawley Town 2

Due to another matter, I was unable to go to the match in the end despite having a ticket. It seems that the Reds did quite well without me!

I listened to the live commentary on the Reds Player instead. The first half saw Preston start quite brightly but it wasn't long before Crawley got into the match, pressing Preston back into their half for long periods. The first half ended goalless.

The second half started with Crawley in the driving seat again. In the 54th minute, Gary Alexander headed home a cross from Nicky Adams from short range :applause 0-1 Four minutes later it was Alexander again when he let one go from distance, beating their keeper :applause By all accounts this was a world class goal. 0-2. Crawley came close once or twice more but it was Preston who got one back in the 91st minute 1-2 and with five minutes added time the last minutes were tense, to say the least. Full time eventually 1-2. What a difference six days made... last week the disappointment of losing so badly to Portsmouth at home to this week when we took the points from an iconic team that were unbeaten in their previous five matches.

This result sees the Reds in fourth place in League 1 with other big and famous teams below us. Of course, the season is still young and anything can happen in football as we all know but what a position to be in especially after losses to Swindon and Pompey!
:scarf :scarf

Next up is our journey to Colchester on Tuesday evening, again I have match and travel tickets and I'm really hoping that I will be able to go. Colchester are currently sitting at the bottom of the table, having only three points from their six games whilst Crawley have twelve points from six. Colchester will have something to prove and will be up for this match but if we can play like we did yesterday, we should beat them. If only it were that simple...

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

Thanks for the update steveizy plus sorry to learn that you couldn't attend the match..
I know that it must have been a disappointment to you.
A consolation must be the result Preston North End 1 Crawley Town 2
It seems Barkers boys have their eye back on the ball :football :clap :clap
We hope you get your wish a can make the journey to Colchester..
Hopefully another scalp for the taking :kebab Back in August Colchester pulled a 2 all draw at home against Pompey.
Plus a no score draw away to Preston 31 days ago and drew with Scunthorpe back in April of this year.
I reckon that we will win by a small margin.. The Invincibles nil
:reddevils one :thunbsup
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author dub has received thanks:
steveizy
User avatar
dub
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 724
Images: 16
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 am
Has thanked: 2034 times
Have thanks: 397 times
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (7)
Karma: 35

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Colchester United 1 Crawley Town 1

Crawley had to settle for a point in the end after a last minute penalty was awarded to Colchester and even that point is controversial.

After a first half with several chances for both teams but quite a bit in the Reds' favour the score remained 0-0. In the second half, Crawley had a few good attempts including hitting the post, before Kyle McFadzean headed home from close range in the 71st minute :applause There were immediately strong protests from Colchester that Kyle had handballed during his clash with their keeper and a defender. From where I was standing, it seemed a bit of a fudged goal but apart from that I'm saying nothing :whistling . It was allowed.

The goal spurred Crawley on a bit as they pushed hard having several good shots hitting the bar and the post before the questionable goal of ours was cancelled out when Colchester converted a penalty which, in itself, wasn't clear cut. It was against the run of play but levelled things up, so maybe we can't complain too much :angry

It ended 1-1 but not before Crawley had kept Colchester busy defending against several more Reds attacks,any of which on another day would have been goals.

It was a point, it could easily had been three from possession and chances but it keeps us fourth in the table. Quite amazing!

A valuable away point and an enjoyable game. Colchester's modern ground is impressive, with very good facilities, friendly fans and stewards and the food was well above average. Maybe the low turnout from about 2200 home fans was the only thing the evening lacked and makes our own low gates seem good in comparison.

From playing the then bottom team, next we have the current league one leaders Tranmere Rovers, who haven't lost this season, visit us on Saturday. This looks like being a good game and quite a test for our boys! I will be there!


:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby dub » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:11 pm

:reddevils 2 :clap Superwhites 5 :angry
The worst defeat of the season :cry After nail biting clash of the titans ! The Barker Boys at the final whistle suffered a trouncing at the hands feet :wub of Tranmere Rovers 5 goals to two.
The visitors of Prenton Park enjoyed and capitalised on :crawleyscarf and it has been reported poor defending by the :devils. A contributing factor to the outcome of this footballing fray :punch :punch
The Reds can still hold their heads high in the light of this crushing defeat as :scarf at times the forward attacks appeared formidable :punch with numerous opportunities to score falling short :football
Spectators were treated to a Goal Fest ! on the day. with loads of action, but alas the Crawley Town supporters were relegated to the bar to drown out their sorrows :cry :drink :angry :angry :drink :joker :drink :cheers :glug :rotfl :drink
The Superwhites retain top position on the table, boasting a strong pedigree and when the rovers were beating Arsenal one goal to nil (1973 League Cup tie).
Crawley town FC was still in its infancy playing at the floodlight, to a crowd of several hundred spectators.
:duke :duke to all those who built the foundations to what we see now, a force in football to be respected :notworthy
Moving on :innocent :arrow:
Next up Swansea City visit the Broadfield Stadium in the third round of the Capital One Cup.
mzawfers dub & nevis have tickets :kiss
Knock ! Knock !
Who's there ?
Eleven :reddevils :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil
You better be scared !
"This is one bird that's going get. Its wings clipped !"
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf
User avatar
dub
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 724
Images: 16
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 am
Has thanked: 2034 times
Have thanks: 397 times
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (7)
Karma: 35

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:43 pm

dub wrote::reddevils 2 :clap Superwhites 5 :angry
The worst defeat of the season :cry After nail biting clash of the titans ! The Barker Boys at the final whistle suffered a trouncing at the hands feet :wub of Tranmere Rovers 5 goals to two.
The visitors of Prenton Park enjoyed and capitalised on :crawleyscarf and it has been reported poor defending by the :devils. A contributing factor to the outcome of this footballing fray :punch
The Reds can still hold their heads high in the light of this crushing defeat as :scarf at times the forward attacks appeared formidable :punch with numerous opportunities to score falling short :football
Spectators were treated to a Goal Fest ! on the day. with loads of action, but alas the Crawley Town supporters were relegated to the bar to drown out their sorrows :cry :drink :angry :angry : joker: :cheers
The Superwhites retain top position on the table, boasting a strong pedigree and when the rovers were beating Arsenal one goal to nil (1973 League Cup tie).
Crawley town FC was still in its infancy playing at the Town Mead, to a crowd of several hundred spectators.
:duke :duke to all those who built the foundations to what we see now, a force in football to be respected :notworthy
Moving on :innocent :arrow:
Next up Swansea City visit the Broadfield Stadium in the third round of the Capital One Cup.
mzawfers dub & nevis have tickets :kiss
Knock ! Knock !
Who's there ?
Eleven :reddevils :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil
You better be scared !
"This is one bird that's going get. Its wings clipped !"
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf


There's not much I can add to that and it makes any match report of mine superfluous.

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Crawley Town 2 Swansea 3

Crawley go out of the league cup after a closely fought battle last night at the Broadfield.

Both teams had a few missed chances before, in the 27th minute, Swansea's Miguel Michu put a strong shot past Jones. One down but Crawley continued to push at the Swans and had a few attempts including an overhead kick from Billy Clarke that just missed. Then, seconds before the half time whistle, Josh Simpson put us back on equal terms with a low shot from outside the box and took one or two deflections before finding the net! :applause

The second half started brightly for the Reds and in the 62nd minute our pressure was rewarded by a goal from Hope Akpan low into the goal from close range :applause 2-1 and Hope had given us hope :hyper Swansea came back at us and put us under more pressure but the Reds were giving as good as they got and had the odd chance too. We were doing well at defending our fragile lead until, in the 74th minute their Danny Graham shattered our hopes by heading home from close range. 2-2, it looked like extra time and possibly penalties would decide the match. Worse was to come, in the second minute of added time (injury time) their Garry Monk found the Crawley net with a headed goal 2-3 and a few minutes later the ref blew for the end of the game. :cry

The Reds can hold their heads high, they did very well against Premier opposition, even scoring goals and being ahead at one stage which has not happened before in the club's history. :clap It was a very enjoyable game to watch, the score being the only downside. It was also nice to see fellow :mz ers dub and nevis at half time, enjoying the match.

I'm not going to issue warnings about possible sell-outs for the time being as it seems like scaremongering. Last night's attendance was a quite unremarkable 3963, including 937 Swansea fans. This was against Premier League opposition, albeit in a cup. :scratch

Anyway, we move on and hope the strong effort displayed against Swansea continues in the league when we face Carlisle away on Saturday. I'm booked on the coach and overnight stop at Morecambe. This will no doubt be a beer and curry evening hopefully to celebrate an away win, otherwise to drown our sorrows :drink :hungry

The next home match at Broadfield is versus Bournemouth on Tues 2 Oct, KO 7:45 pm... I hope we get to see Tubbsy... but I hope he doesn't score!

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 am

Carlisle 0 Crawley 2

We took the long journey up to Carlisle not knowing what to expect after the recent ups and downs. The Swansea game gave us a bit of hope of getting something from this match though and the 144 away supporters who made the trip were rewarded with three points and a slight improvement in our table position from eighth to seventh. It made the long journey home seem a lot quicker. :joker

The match was played with a strong wind blowing throughout which helped neither team and left some of us feeling frozen. The first half was goalless but, in fairness, Carlisle should have been ahead but they seemed to lack the killer touch - something that Crawley fans know all about...

The second half continued in a similar way until we made the breakthrough in the 64th minute when our Spurs loanee defender Nathan Byrne scored a quality goal from the edge of the box low into the net. :applause 0-1. Nathan's first Crawley goal in only his second match - not bad for a defender!

After the goal, both teams still looked evenly balanced and Carlisle could have equalised but The Reds hung on. The game was put to bed when in the 73rd minute Nicky Adams hit what looked like a looping volley from distance that took a deflection, leaving their keeper stranded as it dropped into the net 0-2. :applause Lucky! They all count.

With over a quarter of an hour remaining, it was a little tense but it was nearly three when Nicky Ajose netted but was adjudged to be offside just before full time. Oh well.

Our man of the match on the coach was won by Jones, our keeper, who looked a safe pair of hands and our victory was largely down to him.

A crowd of 4221, including our 144 watched at Brunton Park, a nice stadium, mixture of old and new. The natives seemed friendly as did the stewards. All in all a good day all round.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this was an overnighter down in Morecambe and we were all able to go out on the town with something to celebrate. Comfortable B&B and a good breakfast before the trip home. That seemed to fly by for most of us because of the jubilant mood on board, but a couple were nursing serious hangovers!

Next is Bournemouth at home tomorrow night. If only our home form was as good as our away form...

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby Nevis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:41 am

steveizy wrote:Crawley Town 2 Swansea 3

Crawley go out of the league cup after a closely fought battle last night at the Broadfield.

Both teams had a few missed chances before, in the 27th minute, Swansea's Miguel Michu put a strong shot past Jones. One down but Crawley continued to push at the Swans and had a few attempts including an overhead kick from Billy Clarke that just missed. Then, seconds before the half time whistle, Josh Simpson put us back on equal terms with a low shot from outside the box and took one or two deflections before finding the net! :applause

The second half started brightly for the Reds and in the 62nd minute our pressure was rewarded by a goal from Hope Akpan low into the goal from close range :applause 2-1 and Hope had given us hope :hyper Swansea came back at us and put us under more pressure but the Reds were giving as good as they got and had the odd chance too. We were doing well at defending our fragile lead until, in the 74th minute their Danny Graham shattered our hopes by heading home from close range. 2-2, it looked like extra time and possibly penalties would decide the match. Worse was to come, in the second minute of added time (injury time) their Garry Monk found the Crawley net with a headed goal 2-3 and a few minutes later the ref blew for the end of the game. :cry

The Reds can hold their heads high, they did very well against Premier opposition, even scoring goals and being ahead at one stage which has not happened before in the club's history. :clap It was a very enjoyable game to watch, the score being the only downside. It was also nice to see fellow :mz ers dub and nevis at half time, enjoying the match.

I'm not going to issue warnings about possible sell-outs for the time being as it seems like scaremongering. Last night's attendance was a quite unremarkable 3963, including 937 Swansea fans. This was against Premier League opposition, albeit in a cup. :scratch

Anyway, we move on and hope the strong effort displayed against Swansea continues in the league when we face Carlisle away on Saturday. I'm booked on the coach and overnight stop at Morecambe. This will no doubt be a beer and curry evening hopefully to celebrate an away win, otherwise to drown our sorrows :drink :hungry

The next home match at Broadfield is versus Bournemouth on Tues 2 Oct, KO 7:45 pm... I hope we get to see Tubbsy... but I hope he doesn't score!

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf


It was a marvelous game. :applause :applause :scarf

For this message the author Nevis has received thanks: 2
dub, steveizy
User avatar
Nevis
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 555
Images: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:19 am
Has thanked: 654 times
Have thanks: 516 times
Highscores: 20
Blog: View Blog (3)
Karma: 20

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Crawley 3 Bournemouth 1

After the impressive way that the Reds had played against Swansea and Carlisle, I suppose that this emphatic victory should not really cause any surprise, especially against a crisis suffering team languishing low in the table. But the result was still way above expectations. Like a wounded animal, Bournemouth were unpredictable and anything could have happened.

The Cherries started the better team, with The Reds looking poor. After 10 minutes, their Frank Demouge suffered a broken nose from a legal challenge and was stretchered off, to be replaced by Broadfield hero Matt Tubbs who earned a rapturous welcome from us Crawley fans eager and pleased to see him again - even as an opposition danger!

Matt almost immediately caused us a problem but then, despite being in good striker positions was just not getting the service and posed us little danger for the rest of the match. Crawley took the lead after Hope Akpan scored from close range off a corner :applause . Half an hour gone and Crawley were getting stronger. Just before half time, Joe Walsh headed home from another corner :applause to put us in a more comfortable 2-0 position before the break.

The second half had a little downturn for us when The Cherries got one back, now 2-1. This inspired a bit of a Cherries comeback, but was dealt with until our fragile lead was extended to 3-1 by Nicky Adams from a close-in shot. :applause This knocked any remaining steam out of them and Bournemouth posed few further problems. We might have scored a couple more after that to add to David James's unhappy recollections of the Broadfield Stadium. He had shipped one here that resulted in Crawley beating Championship Bristol City in the FA Cup and the scorer was .......Tubbsy laugh

Good game, good result which pushes us up to third in League One :shock: . Sad to see a player like Matt Tubbs, who scored at Broadfield for fun, looking a shadow of his former self with no service to him. Although we absolutely didn't want him to score of course, we never even really got a glimpse of his old talents. I suppose we can't have it both ways!

The crowd was a predictable 2928 and of that, 435 were Cherries so that means no progress is being made whatsoever building on the core local support which hovers in the 2500-2700 area. This objective wasn't helped by the news that the club had decided to re-impose the smoking ban on "instructions" from the FA. OK, it won't turn many away but extra "nanny" rules are generally disliked these days by all of us, except politicians, so it certainly won't help build attendances. Most other clubs at our level manage to find a way to accommodate smokers as they recognise that, although "Lepers" - they are a valuable contribution to revenue. One day our club will get wise.

Rant over, next up for us is an unusual away double act. We face Brentford at their place on Saturday in the League. Then we go back again on Tuesday for the Paint-Pot cup match. At least it isn't Carlisle twice! No need for a coach here as it is easier by train especially in groups. Brentford are mid table so doing OK and we are really going to have to play... then again on Tuesday whatever the result on Saturday - WOW!


:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

PreviousNext

Return to Crawley Town Football Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron