• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 18:

'What’re you thinking?' Each read the other's mind.
Joe turned to Hannah with a smile wide across his face.
'Hannah, I've thought of a brilliant idea to water the stock. In the morning, I'll go to the blacksmith, have him build me a delver tongue. I imagine the delver in my mind.' He pointed to his temple.
'Is that all.' Hannah expressed. 'Come on, getting late. We'd better go to bed before your brain explodes.'
‘Only problem is. Where to find a water diviner.'
'Young Ryan Carlson, in my class at school, walks around the paddock with a fork stick in his hands. Kids at school think he's a little strange until he showed them how to find water. Now he's the most popular in class.'
'How old is this kid?' Joe asked.
'About ten. I think he turns eleven shortly because we're having a birthday party for him at school. His father is chief engineer hired to build the rail line from Charleville to Cunnamulla. Joe, we'll have the train at our doorstep. Won't that be great!' Hannah's enthusiasm showed on her face.
Joe thought about this information, a ten-year-old having the power to divine water almost swept the idea from his mind, 'Can I met this young lad?'
'I suppose so. I'd imagine he'll be at school tomorrow. I’ll ask.'
'I'd love to meet him, speak with his father. If what you say is right. I need his help to find water on your father's properties. Hannah, this may be a blessing in disguise.' He leaned across kissed her on the cheek. 'Let's go to bed.'
Early the following morning Joe visited the local blacksmith to explain his latest idea of making a delver tongue.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 19:

At first, the blacksmith couldn't understand what Joe required until he drew a sketch in the dirt.
'I understand what you want. I'll go ahead, make the steel tongue. Shouldn't be too difficult.'
When Hannah returned home after school excitement bubbled over in her when she met Joe in the kitchen.
'Joe, I asked Ryan. His parents are camped at the railway camp ten miles north of Cunnamulla on the sand hill near the Warrego River.'
'Hannah, that's wonderful news. Let's go. I want to meet this young fella especially his parents.'
After harnessing Joker to the sulky, they drove north of Cunnamulla.
'This is where Billy Wells held the stage up all those years ago. Would you believe I was only eighteen at the time, going to school? Seems like a lifetime ago. Now here we are happily married. I have the man of my dreams. Who would've thought.' Hannah smiled to herself, put her arm through her husband's free arm leaned over kissed his cheek.
'Just think Hannah. If Billy hadn’t robbed the stagecoach. I never would've met you or married you. He's not a bad fellow once you understand him. My time in St Helena Island Prison where I met him, he always treated me with respect also kept our secret between Joe Ryan and me.'
'That's water under the bridge now Joe. Let's find out if Ryan Carlson can find water for you and Pa.'
They approached Coongoola railway siding as far as the line had been built toward Cunnamulla surrounded by tents used by the workers for accommodation. A voice called from among the children gathered together to welcome the newcomers. 'Miss Young.'
'Hello Ryan. I’m now Mrs Gibson. This is my husband Mr Gibson.' Hannah smiled stepping down from the sulky once Joe stopped. Ryan extending his hand to help her down. His smile always made Hannah weak at the knees showing he wouldn't have any problem attracting friends.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:49 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 20:

Ryan soon introduced his parents to Hannah. 'This is my mother and father.' Joe came to stand beside her.
Joe shook hands with Ryan's father, 'Joe Gibson, Hannah's husband.'
'Glad to meet you, Todd Carlson. My wife Melinda.'
'Pleased to meet you both.' Joe tilted his hat to Melinda.
'Would you like to stay for a cuppa?' Melinda asked in a warm welcome voice. 'We don't often receive visitors’ way out here. Especially Ryan's teacher. He's always speaking about 'Miss Young' did this 'Miss Young' did that. You are now Mrs Gibson. Congratulations'.
'Yes, delighted. We'd be pleased to join you in a cuppa.' Hannah smiled. The two women went inside the tent whilst Todd and Joe sat on a stump near the fire at the front.
'I won't beat about the bush Todd. I've come to speak to you about Ryan.' Joe expressed in an inviting voice.
'What's he done wrong now.' Todd's expression puzzled Joe because he didn’t visit to dob in the boy but ask for his help.
'No! Ryan's done nothing wrong. In fact, I want to ask you about his gift for finding water.'
'Ah that! Yeah, he's always walking around with a bloody fork stick in the hands. Annoys the crap out of me. Even sleeps with the bloody thing. I wonder at times if water divining effects his thinking. Mind you, since we've been building this railway line camping at different locations he's always found water.'
'I want to ask you if Ryan may help us find water on our properties. This year is going to be hotter than ever before. If we don't find water for our stock, they will die.' Joe explained.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 21:

'You want my Ryan to work for you on your property to find water.' Todd said in an inquisitive voice. 'I'm sorry but I can't allow Ryan to be exploited. What he does is between us. Yes, he's found water. Thankfully each time he's told me where to dig, not deep. What gift he has. I'm certainly not allowing my son to be exploited because of this crazy so called gift.' Todd strongly expressed.
'I'm sorry. Never in anyway would I exploit Ryan. The only other person who had divined for water is no longer with us. I thought Ryan may help us.'
'No! That's all. He's only ten years old. I'll not have my son exploited at his age.' Todd adamant his son wasn't to be exploited.
Joe didn't mean to upset Todd, obviously thinking his son would be exploited. His thoughts placed himself into Todd's shoes. If a stranger asked to use his ten-year-old son to search for water. Thinking about the situation he also would be apprehensive about allowing his son to be with strangers plus to do something he wasn't familiar with.
'I'm sorry Todd. I understand your position. I wouldn't allow my son to be exploited either. I never understood until you explained your position.' He shook hands with Todd thanked him for his time. After a cuppa Hannah left with Joe returned home to Cunnamulla.
Further 1897 progressed, the hotter the weather increased. With no rain mitchell grass plains burnt off from the blazing sun turned landscape into desert. Mulga trees became the saviour for sheep. Daily from daylight until dark after Joe returned to 'Kahmoo Station' his team chopped branches from the mulga trees for sheep to feed on. A hard-tough existence with acres of mulga trees trimmed with an axe. Mulga leaves rich in protein gave each sheep sufficient nourishment to survive until next rain.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:37 am

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 22:

Joe repaired fences on ‘Tilbaroo Station’ to move Nat's sheep onto his property whilst a bore being drilled on 'Kahmoo Station'. With his team, they drove the sheep to ‘Tilbaroo Station’ where Mitchell grass grew lush. This gave Billy Campbell free rein on 'Kahmoo Station' in search of water. After a month of searching 'Kahmoo Station' Billy wasn't any wiser where to find water than when he first arrived.
'I wish Russell Clark was still alive. He'd found water before now'. Billy told Nat. 'I'm not giving up but honestly you might have to find a water diviner'. Nat thought for a moment beckoned for Billy to continue in the hope he'd eventually find water.
With shearing season, soon around the corner Joe wanted to discuss the progress of shearing with his father-in-law.
‘We've got to shear Nat. Where are, we going to put the sheep after they're shorn? Until rain, the paddocks are dry. I've never seen the country so drought effected.'
'I agree. In all my years, I've lived here, never been so dry. I have no idea when the rain comes. Each day the weather is hotter. Ma is finding difficulty with this heat. She's no longer a spring chicken. Might have to consider sending her to Cunnamulla to live with Hannah until rain comes.' Joe had never witnessed Nat speak in these terms before.
'I’ll take her into Cunnamulla when she's ready. I'm certain Hannah would love the company.' Joe stated.
Ma quickly agreed, packed her belongings after asked she’d like to return to Cunnamulla, live with Hannah. Joe hitched the sulky to drive her into town. Bidding farewell to her family Joe left in the late afternoon in the cool making Ma comfortable. Ma didn't look well, drawn in the face, constantly wiping her brow with a handkerchief, hardly speaking. He hoped she didn't suffer from heat stroke before they arrived in town when Hannah would take good care of her.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:47 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 23:

'Ma, Joe,' Hannah called when two people in a sulky arrived in her back yard. She ran from the top steps to help Ma down. 'Ma, are you okay?' Hannah's concern immediately went out to her great aunt who looked as if she may faint. 'Joe, help me with Ma.'
Joe tied the reigns onto the sulky, quickly jumped down went to Ma's aid. Lifting her up in his arms he walked to the rear steps of the house, Hannah opened the door.
'Put me down,' Ma abruptly told Joe, 'I'll be right once I sit have a cool drink.' Joe placed Ma on the lounge chair. Hannah handed her a cool glass of water. Ma gulped the water down rolled the outside of the glass around her face. ‘So hot.' She gasped.
'I'll go for a cloth to cool you.' Hannah soon returned with a cool cloth placed the cloth across Ma's forehead. 'Rest Ma. You're home now.' Hannah looked at Joe whose face showed concern about Ma's health and wellbeing.
While Ma rested on the lounge Hannah took Joe's arm led him into the kitchen. 'I'm worried about her Joe. She's frail weak. Look at her eyes. They’re glazed over. She’s unwell.' Hannah's concern worried Joe.
'What should we do?' Joe asked in a concerned voice.
'I think take her to the hospital. This heat has killed almost half of the older population in town. Hospital is the safest place to be. They'll make her comfortable.' Hannah's idea appealed to Joe.
'Ma, you don't look too good. I think we should take you to the hospital.' Joe said to Ma who lay back on the lounge drawing deep breathes. Her face flushed. She nodded. Joe picked her up in his arms carried her to the sulky at the back of the house. After placing Ma on the seat of the sulky Hannah climbed up to sit beside her leaned Ma against her. Joe quickly jumped into the driver's seat clicked up the horse to drive toward the hospital.
Pulling up in front of the hospital he climbed down carried Ma into the main foyer.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:57 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 24:

Pulling up in front of the hospital he climbed down carried Ma into the main foyer.
'Ma, is that you?' A voice called from behind the desk. The Matron on duty recognized Ma from her previous visits, especially when Mr Wilson was in the hospital visited by Ma and Hannah.
'Matron, Ma is not well. I think she's suffering from heat stroke.' Hannah assured the Matron.
'Bring her in here.' She hurried in front of the three. Joe carried Ma to where the Matron pointed to a hospital bed in a ward. 'Place her on the bed. I'll tend to her. Would you both wait outside while I undress her.' Matron commanded.
They left the ward. 'I'll shift the sulky. Be back shortly.' Joe rushed off leaving Hannah alone in the waiting area. After Joe moved the sulky from the front entrance of the hospital he returned to comfort Hannah. 'Any news.' He asked seeing Hannah holding a handkerchief to her eyes.
'Joe I'm worried. Ma's in the same bed as Mr Wilson was in when he died.' She cried into her handkerchief. Joe placed his arm around his wife's shoulders. Sobs shook her body. His thoughts; how fortunate he bought Ma into town when he did because by the look of her health she may not have lasted another day on the property. They waited for news.
Within an hour the Matron returned to where Joe and Hannah sat. Hannah sprang from her seat at the sight of the Matron.
'How is Ma?' She blurted out in between sobbing.
'The doctor has examined her. I'm sorry, we can make her comfortable as possible. Ma is dying.'
'No!’ Hannah screamed. ‘Can we go to her?' Hannah whimpered.
'Yes. She is very weak. She's comfortable as we can make her.'
They entered the ward. Joe hugged Hannah on seeing Ma in a sleeping state. The doctor turned. Shook his head. 'She's gone. I'll leave you to say your good-byes.'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter