• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 pm

'The Drover' - Page 59:

After the last of the sheep were through the gate Harry said to Rose, ‘how many matches have you got?’ She counted them from her pocket and said, ‘fifty.’
‘They’re all there then, you did a great job for a girl.’ He commented.
‘I’m not a girl, I’m a woman, or hadn’t you noticed.’ She replied replacing the matches in the box and returned the box to him. He noticed she was a woman, thundered through his mind.
‘Henry, we’ll make camp this side of the bridge and cross in the morning.’ Harry said.
‘Alright, Boss, I’ll see you there this afternoon. He left to prepare the camp.
Ted in the meantime drove the sheep along the stock route; Harry soon joined him while Rose worked the wing with a dog.
‘Ted, tell me more about the war.’ Harry requested.
‘We’d been in Changi Prison for a couple of years trying to keep alive. Food was running low to feed all of the prisoners, some died from malaria and other diseases such as cholera. Somehow I survived. Then we were put into railway wagons and taken by train to Burma to build the rail line. The Japanese wanted to move their troops through to Rangoon.’
‘I’ve never heard of these places, Ted. How in hell did you survive – you’re tough, I’ll give you that much.’ Harry told him.
‘On our wits and tough work, I was one of 12,000 men and most of them didn’t come home. We went by train part of the way then marched the remainder through rain and high humidity. In the end we built their bloody railway track and lost many men doing it. At times it was hard going but you had to keep telling yourself you were alive – that’s what kept most of us going.’ Ted shared with Harry.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/95766
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 pm

'The Drover' - Page 60:

Ted continued his story of survival with Harry. After building the Burma railway line the troops returned to Changi and on 15th August 1945 Japan surrendered. The war was over.
Ted described his return to Australia by sea; skin hung from his bony frame, his eyes sunken in their sockets, arms and legs stripped of muscle, his mind echoed the nightmare of his past four years of capture.
Harry felt pleased to have heard Ted’s story and if anyone needed the highest praise – it was Ted who stood ten foot tall and bullet proof. Ted as well, felt relieved, he’d unleashed the anguish and horror encased in his mind for more than half a decade. He felt relieved to have shared his story with another human being and pleased this human being was Harry. Both men had a high respect for one another.
After the sheep were housed in the brake for the night, the three retired to the camp and sat around the fire.
Harry said,’ this is our last night together. I have enjoyed your company and your help and if we can do it again – I hope we can.’
‘I’ve certainly learnt a lot about droving – thanks Harry, for teaching me to count.’ Rose butted in, a grin on her pretty face.
‘It’s been a pleasure to serve you Harry and thanks for listening to an old codger.’ Ted stated.
‘Don’t worry about me, Boss – I’ll be on the next trip with ya.’ Henry finished.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 pm

'The Drover' - Page 61:

Chapter 8

Christmas of 1950 was a week away. Harry completed the droving of sheep to Bourke and returned to celebrate Christmas with his sister and her family in Cunnamulla. It was to be a joyous occasion. His brother-in-law Les would be home together with his nephews Young Les and Charley.
Harry couldn’t erase Rose from his memory. He tried to put her memory aside for awhile, however; her beauty returned to him during sleep; he daydreamed of her through other times. What was he to do about courting her? His answer, ‘he would ask Ted.’
In the early evening after dinner Harry walked along the street where Rose lived in the hope to see her outside. Many evenings he walked past her home on the opposite side of the street and looked to see if lights shone from the front bedrooms. Should he wander over and ask for her, he pondered. He couldn’t build up the courage to ask her to the pictures but still wanted to see her.
It was two days before Christmas, Harry did his usual walk on the opposite side of the street when he heard her voice, ‘why don’t you come over and speak with me,’ she called out.
Harry looked through the evening glaze and saw a silhouette of a woman standing close to the front fence.
‘I didn’t want to annoy you,’ he called out and walked across the road to where she was standing. Her black raven hair fell from her neck past her shoulders and down her back. She was dressed in a skirt and blouse – she looked beautiful.
Fragrance of womanhood filtered through his nostrils forcing his mind to imagine how wonderful it would be to become her husband and to serve her the remainder of their lives.
‘How have you been since we got back?’ He mumbled.
‘I’ve missed you.’ She said in a seductive voice.
‘Ah…I’ve missed you too.’ Harry felt pain around his heart and in his mind a nervous ache, he didn’t know what to say, the cat had caught his tongue.
‘How’s your parents, did Ted get over the trip?’ He asked wanting to change the subject.
‘Why don’t you come inside and ask for yourself, they’re sitting in the lounge room listening to the wireless.’ Rose asked in an inviting voice, ‘I’ll make some supper, I’m sure you’re hungry.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:09 pm

'The Drover' - Page 62:

Harry opened the small gate and followed Rose to the front steps. He followed her steps across the veranda and into the light; his eyes refocused from the darkness. When he entered the lounge room Rose said,’ look who I found wandering outside.’
Ted looked up from his seat, ‘good-evening Harry, great to see you again, looking forward to Christmas.’
‘Yes, how have you been Ted and hello to you Mrs Henderson? How have you both been?’ Harry didn’t know exactly what to say, he was here to see Rose and it was nice to visit Ted and Mrs Henderson.
‘I’ll make us some supper Pa.’ Rose said and left to go to the kitchen.
‘I’ll help.’ Mrs Henderson said to join Rose.
‘Ah…Ted I want to ask you a question, if that’s okay.’ Harry said.
‘Go right ahead my boy, you can ask me anything.’ Ted replied, he remembered how he shared his war story with him and treated him as a person he trusted.
‘Would you mind if I asked Rose to go to the pictures with me?’ Harry muttered.
‘It’s not up to me, it’s up to her; she’s over twenty-one and can make up her own mind. There’s been a slight hitch since we’ve been away,’ Ted continued, ‘mother invited Roger out here for Christmas; she playing cupid, is all I can guess.’
‘When’s he arriving?’
‘Tomorrow, on the Westlander, that’ll put the cat among the pigeons.’ Ted answered with a slight grin on his face.
‘Alright you two come and get it.’ Rose called out.
The two men joined Rose and her mother in the kitchen.
Rose sat Harry beside her, ‘this is not like in the bush – we have normal tea here. Mother, we drank tea from our quart pots, without milk and sugar – it was different.’ Rose admitted.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:59 pm

'The Drover' - Page 63:

Harry took a gulp of his tea, ‘It wasn’t that bad – was it?’ He asked.
‘I enjoyed myself.’ Ted answered swallowing a piece of cake.
‘What are you doing for Christmas Dinner Harry?’ Mrs Henderson asked.
‘Having it at my sister’s home – all of the family will be there.’
‘I was hoping you may want to have it here with us.’ She replied.
Harry’s mind went into raptures, what’s this old girl getting up to, Roger will be here and Rose; and I don’t know if it would be a good idea. He thought.
‘Ted told me Roger was visiting and arriving tomorrow on the train – wouldn’t it be crowded?’ He said.
‘What’s this about Roger coming tomorrow - mother.’ Rose exploded and looked directly at her mother with a stare which almost knocked her mother from the chair she was seated.
‘While you were away droving I wrote to Roger and invited him to have Christmas with us – he accepted and will be arriving on the Westlander tomorrow.’ Mrs Henderson answered.
‘Well, he’s not staying here – you had no right mother. Roger and I are no longer together. It was rude of you not to ask me first.’ She exploded pushing her chair away and stormed from the room.
‘Now look what you’ve done mother – upset Rose; and this Roger business, I wish you’d leave it alone, I don’t like the fellow.’ Ted expressed.
‘I do.’ Mrs Henderson continued. ‘I’ll go and see if she’s alright.’
Harry and Ted finished their supper in peace without exchanging words.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:49 pm

'The Drover' - Page 64:

‘I better be going Ted and thanks for the supper, I hope things work out – see you later.’ Harry said.
‘Yeah…I’ll catch up with you later Harry – have a Merry Christmas if I don’t see you.’ Both men shook hands and Harry left the room.
When he walked onto the front veranda he heard sobs of crying coming from a bedroom and knew it was Rose who was crying. Don’t worry Rose – I’ll be here when Roger goes, he told himself when he walked from her home.

Christmas Eve saw the return of his brother-in-law and nephews from their droving trip. Harry’s sister worked tirelessly in the kitchen to prepare Christmas Dinner whilst the men did what men do and drank beer.
‘How’s the droving going?’ Harry asked his brother-in-law.
‘You know what its like – you’ve been on plenty trips – what about your last trip you took along a woman.’ Les asked.
‘I had five thousand sheep to take to Bourke and needed more than Henry to help me. Ted Henderson and his daughter Rose came with me. It was a good trip apart from the rain.’ Harry shared.
‘She must be alright – Anna tells me you’re smitten.’ Les laughed.
‘Not for long – her old boyfriend has turned up; I don’t know what to do.’
‘You love her.’ Les wanted to know.
‘I don’t know what love is – what is it Les – you and Anna, how did you know when you fell in love with my sister?’
‘Ah…you know alright, you can’t stop thinking about her, she’s in your dreams, not only at night but every moment of the day – you’ll know alright, it hits you like a freight train.’ Les shared with Harry.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:27 pm

'The Drover' - Page 65:

‘If that’s the case, then I must be in love with Rose and don’t know it.’
‘What are you going to do about this Roger fella – he might steal her away.’
‘I don’t know – what can I do?’ Harry felt ambushed and disillusioned.
‘Do you want me and my sons to have a talk with him and take him for a trip out of town?’ Les wanted to know.
Stories circulated around town pointed the finger at Les and his sons when someone suspiciously left town without telling anyone. It was only a theory and gossip – there was no evidence or truth about the stories; however Harry had his suspicions.
‘Na…I’ll look after Roger. All I know about him is; he is Queensland champion high jump rider.’
‘I’ll make the bastard jump with a whip on his arse.’ Les laughed and handed Harry another beer.

The Westlander was due into Cunnamulla at 4.45pm that afternoon. Harry decided he would go to the railway station and size up the situation. He’d never been in a situation like this before and had to be guided by his instincts and the love he felt for Rose.
Precisely at 4.45pm the train whistle blew as the Westlander pulled into the platform. On the eastern end of the platform Harry stood puffing on a smoke with his hat drawn over his eyes. He slouched against the wall half hidden by a post; he could see passengers alighting from the train. Mrs Henderson stood on the platform alone. Harry sighted her.
He noticed she walked toward the train once it stopped when a tall athletic male stepped from the train, Harry heard Mrs Henderson say, ‘hello Roger.’ She swung her arms around his neck and placed a kiss on his cheek.
‘Hello, Mrs Henderson – it’s good to see you again, isn’t Rose here?’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter