• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:32 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 51:

‘He always took fifteen minutes after he left home to board the train at precisely four-thirty. He left home at the usual time and walked through the paddock, across the road and onto the footpath, up over the overhead railway bridge and onto the platform.’
‘Yes, I can see that?’
‘There was an opportunity from the time his mother turned to walk inside, to the time he didn’t arrive at the platform, which in my opinion would have been about five minutes. Did you time yourself when you walked the one hundred and eighty metres?’
‘No – I had no reason too.’
‘That little machine didn’t time you by accident, did it?’ Bundy asked Kate with a slight grin covering his lips.
‘No – it doesn’t do that. I can take your photograph – if you want.’ Kate aimed the phone toward Bundy, he noticed a flash.
‘Did you take my photograph?’ He asked in astonishment.
‘Here – have a look.’ Kate turned the face of the telephone toward him and he saw a reflection of himself.
‘Amazing.’ He said.
The telephone in his office came to life with a ringing sound.
‘I wonder who that could be. I never receive any phone calls.’ Bundy said.
‘You’d better answer it to find out who it is.’ Kate replied.
Bundy walked to his office, picked the hand-held telephone, clicked the call button and placed the phone to his mouth, ‘hello, Bundy Quicksilver speaking.’
‘How ya going – you ole fox, still got that little vixen with you.’ It was Quincy Simpson.
‘Yes – she’s here Quincy, she stayed overnight.’ Bundy told his friend. He heard Quincy’s breath quicken,

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:02 am

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 52:

‘do you want to speak with her?’ He continued walking to the front veranda as he spoke.
‘No – I wanted to speak with you – actually.’ His voice more relaxed.
‘What do you want to speak about? I’ll put you on loud speaker so Kate can hear what you want.’ Bundy told his friend. He pressed the button on loud speaker and placed the telephone on the table in between Kate and himself.
‘Good morning Kate.’ Quincy spoke.
‘Same to you.’ Kate replied, ‘how can we help you?’ She asked.
‘Is it possible to get me a piece of Peter’s hair, or some clothing? I want to test it for DNA. I have an idea but I can’t share it with you yet because I’m still working on it. I’ll let you know as soon as you deliver me some hair particles or clothing belonging to Peter he was wearing around the time of his disappearance.’ Quincy told his friends.
‘Yeah – we’ll get them for you.’ Both said in unison. Bundy and Kate looked at one another in surprise they’d spoken exactly the same words at the same time.
‘Ring me when you’ve got them so I’ll be home when you bring them.’ Quincy finished the conversation and disconnected the call.
‘I wonder what that’s all about.’ Kate asked in an inquisitive voice.
‘I told you he’d come back with something to help us.’ Bundy had a smile in his voice.
‘We’ll see.’ Kate continued to be sceptical about Bundy’s friend.

dub, mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Thank you Dub: here is the page for today: 'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 53:

Chapter 7

Before they left, Kate telephoned Mary to inform her they were on their way and if she had a piece of Peter’s hair and some clothing he was wearing around the time he disappeared. She told Kate, she would have both items ready when they arrived.
Mary met Kate and Bundy at the front door, ‘come in, I’ve put the kettle on and we’ll have a cup-of-tea.’ She beckoned both into the dining room. She handed Kate an envelope containing a sample of her son’s hair, ‘this was his first haircut. Here is a pair of jeans and tee shirt. I hope they’ll do.’ She said.
Kate took both the envelope and clothing and placed them separately into a plastic evidence bag which she’d bought with her.
‘Can you tell me why you need these things?’ Mary asked - concerned.
‘My friend is a forensic scientist; he telephoned this morning and asked if we would speak with you to see if you had these items. We’re uncertain why he needs them. We’re the messengers at this stage.’ Bundy explained.
‘Oh, I hope they’re what you want – I’d love to find Peter.’
‘We hope this will help.’ Kate told her.
‘Mary, can I ask you a question.’ Bundy asked her.
‘Of course you can – go right ahead.’ Mary replied ready for Bundy’s question.
‘On the day Peter disappeared, are you certain you saw him walk across from the paddock to the footpath before you returned inside to cook dinner for your husband?’ He asked in a sincere voice.
Mary thought of the time, her memory still uncertain of details and couldn’t honestly answer as she’d done before, ‘it’s a long time ago. I know I always watched

dub, mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks dub for your kind message: here is today's page: 'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 54:

Sorry folks for the past couple of days but we've had rain; rain and more rain which caused a huge flood. We at Brooloo faired pretty good but the poor buggers in Gympie and Bundaberg copped the worst of it. Anyway, I'm back on track and ready to deliver your next page for the day. Here it is:

him walk onto the footpath when he went to railway station, but this time – no, I can’t tell you if he reached the footpath before I returned inside. I’m sorry,’ she began to weep. Bundy handed her his handkerchief to wipe away the tears.
‘I’m sorry – if doesn’t matter – we’ll work it out. Thank you for the cup-of-tea and we’ll take these things to my friend.’ Bundy explained.
They left her home.
A couple of kilometres along the highway Kate said, ‘we’d better telephone Quincy and see if he’s home – I’ll pull over to phone him because you’ll bugger it up and I’d need to telephone him in any case.’ She slowed and pulled over to the side of the road.
Quincy was home and would wait for them. They’d be at his home in time for lunch.
Over lunch Quincy explained to Bundy and Kate his latest theory, together with recent studies with DNA. He had his own laboratory at his property where he tested DNA with his cattle. He explained after he graduated from university, his first job as a scientist was to study DNA. At the time DNA was in its infancy in Australia and only America was up-to-date on how it worked. His life’s ambition to understand all he could about DNA; fascinated his curiosity.
He shared his latest discovery and wanted to try his ‘secret weapon’ to find Peter Clayton. Bundy listened to Quincy’s explanation and plan which excited him about the prospect of this latest discovery.
More Quincy explained his plan – more excited Bundy understood what his friend wanted to do. Quincy was onto something. This experiment had never been tried or used before to solve any investigation. This would be a first.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 55:

Kate on the other hand said, ‘you can rule me out. I don’t believe in this hibber jibber stuff and I’m not going to be a part of it.’ She spat the words.
Quincy explained more of his idea to Bundy whilst Kate joined Victoria for a coffee and women’s talk. A couple of hours later they left.
On the journey to Bundy’s home Kate was silent.
‘Why don’t you like Quincy’s suggestion?’ Bundy asked her.
‘It’s hocus-pocus Bundy, I don’t believe in that stuff. It’s ridiculous. Imagine what the Commissioner is going to say when I tell him.’ She burst out almost shouting her answer.
‘Why have you got to tell him about Quincy’s ‘secret weapon’?’ Bundy asked.
‘It’s better to keep him informed, if he hears it from me rather than someone else. I’m going to ask him to take me off the case and return to proper investigation work. I’ve had enough. You can carry on with the investigation if you’re going to do what Quincy wants.’ Kate informed Bundy.
‘Let me tell you a story about Quincy before you get off your high horse. One investigation we did together in 1976 was to prove how a young farmer died when he was found dead on the roadway at the front of his home.’ Bundy went on to explain, no one else, including his boss of the day believed the theory Quincy had came up with to solve the investigation.
The farmer had gone to his paddock at sunset to put a calf away and lock the cow in a yard so the following morning he could milk the cow. If he hadn’t locked the cow away, the calf would have sucked the cow dry and the farmer would have no milk the following morning.
When the farmer never returned, his wife went in search for him and found him dead on the roadway in front

mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 am

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 56:

of their home. He had a wound to his forehead and his left ankle broken. The position he was found on the roadway was flat on his back, his arms spread wide. A huge gash indented across his forehead.
Bundy continued his story, he contacted Quincy and they worked together to find the cause of death. Throughout this investigation Bundy always had confidence in Quincy’s ability to solve the death of the farmer. After three days of continued investigation there was no evidence to point to any person who would have caused the death. Bundy thought it would end; an unsolved mystery.
Quincy at the time had microscopically examined a torch the farmer carried at the time of his death. He discovered a light lime or green colour streak mixed with white colour on the handle of the torch. Bundy, with this new evidence visited the nearest farms in the area and discovered a cattle truck of a similar colour.
He interviewed the owner who told him on the particular night his neighbour was found dead, he’d spoken with him earlier when he was transporting cattle to the local saleyards. They spoke at the top end of the road near the farmer’s home. The farmer told the driver he was waiting for the calf to have its final drink from the cow before he locked the cow in the yard.
The driver asked the farmer if he wanted a lift to the cattle yard to which he told him he didn’t. It was a cool and clear night and he would enjoy the walk of about two hundred metres. The driver left the farmer and drove on to deliver his cattle. On his return he learned of his neighbour’s death.
Bundy went on to explained how Quincy travelled to where the truck was parked and examined the crate and truck. Fastened on the rear of the truck below the crate was a towbar. Along the driver’s side of the crate Quincy

mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery)

discovered paint missing from the boards, which when microscopically examined matched the paint found on the barrel of the torch held by the farmer.
In conclusion to the investigation Quincy re-enacted the movements of the farmer after the driver of the truck left him on the corner. Quincy theorised the farmer declined a ride, the driver left him standing. When the truck slowly moved away, the farmer; changed his mind and decided to risk a lift by jumping onto the towbar fastened on the back of the truck below the crate.
His decision to jump off when level or near to the cattle yards, without the driver knowing he’d been on the back of the truck. When he first jumped on the towbar to where he wanted to jump off would have been a distance of about two hundred metres. Only trouble was; the truck increased speed and at one point the farmer decided to crawl along the side of the crate to alarm the driver to stop.
When he couldn’t get the driver’s attention, he climbed back down onto the towbar and at this stage was level with the place he wanted to get off. Standing on his right foot on the towbar, he placed his left foot down close to the road and jumped. The farmer held the metal torch in his right hand.
At the point when his left foot struck the roadway it fractured. The force of striking the roadway; pushed his body against the rear crate, caused his head to strike the metal torch and indent his forehead. Problem solved; Quincy worked it out with scientific evidence. Kate remained silent.
She drove to Bundy’s property, stopped the vehicle and said, ‘see you in the office tomorrow morning – eight o’clock sharp. Don’t be late.’
‘Okay, Kate – I’ll see you then.’ Bundy alighted from the vehicle; she sped away. She must be angry, she never said goodbye, Bundy thought.

mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter