Login

• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:25 pm

This has been quite a journey you've taken with me so far and I thank you all for your continued support. I thought of recapping on a few events during this career. It's not over by any strength of the imagination.

From time to time I come to a sign post and need to decide which way I turn or which sign to follow. Life's a bit like that also. Anyway, I've come to a sign post.

At the beginning of my career I wanted to write a book to help parents improve communication with their children. At the time it was a huge mountain to climb and eventually I climbed it to have a look at the promised land.

Along the way I discovered so much about myself and others. I think when you write, I've read about it, and been told at seminars, it takes ninety percent persistance and ten percent imagination.

If there is one lesson I've learned since I started and that is to go down to the hardware store and purchase gallons and gallons of 'bum glue'. Without 'bum glue' there's no hope in writing or finishing a book and have it published. It's a lonely life because no other person can write what you want only yourself.

I write everyday. It mightn't be much but I've got to keep up the habit of writing for the old saying is - if you don't use it - you lose it. Another important aspect to the craft is to set a deadline to complete a novel. Otherwise the novel will end up never being read by the readers. It could be the greatest novel that's ever been written and if it's on your computer and not being sent out to the public - you'll never know if it has a chance of success.

As I mentioned before, I'm at a sign post in the highway of writing. This new novel 'Detective Bundy Quicksilver' is started. I've written the first one thousand words and have another ninety thousand to go.

Wait until tomorrow and I'll share with you how I'm writing this latest novel.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1879 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Before I started writing this new novel, I researched the internet to discover an author in America writes a series of books and sells them as ebooks. This gave me an idea of going down a similar pathway.

In 2004 I wrote and published 'Confessions of an alcoholic'. In this book I introduced a character named Bundy Quicksilver. Bundy because of bundaberg rum and Quicksilver because when you drink alcohol it is quicksilver. The name stuck inside my head.

In Confessions of an alcoholic saw when Bundy first tasted alcohol at aged twelve years and fell into the habit of drinking until at twenty-eight years his wife Ada decided she'd had enough. She threatened to leave him and take his two children if he didn't do something about his drinking.

At that moment he promised her he would never drink alcohol again. It has been thirty-four years and has not touched a drop since. His life improved without alcohol but his behaviour didn't change. Over the next twenty years he was known as a 'dry drunk.'

Life went on for him. After twenty years since he had his last drink he became an alcohol and drug counsellor. His time working with people he'd once been there himself suffering a similar problem. He learned how the alcoholism caught hold of him and after studying these reasons underwent an intensive twelve month programme to identify his behaviour and alter his life.

He began to understand he needed to be a trustworthy person and honest with his dealings with other people. He succeeded.

After losing his wife Ada to cancer, some eight years before; he receives a retirement medal from the Commissioner of Police. He'd been retired from the police for twenty-one years and was astonished to receive this medal.

With respect, he personally wrote a letter to the Commissioner who on receipt of the letter telephoned Bundy.

Wait until tomorrow to read what happens after Bundy receives the telephone call.

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Bundy accepts an invitation from the Commissioner to visit him. On his visit he experiences flashbacks of different events which happened when he was a police officer.

Standing in front of Headquarters he recognized the footpath and gutter when he was a junior detective working nightwork when he lent down to pick up a drunk from the gutter when his revolver fell from the shoulder holster and landed on the ground beside the drunk. Police headquarters wasn't the building at the time. It was the Railway Hotel which was demolished before the present building was built.

His mind returns to the present to enter the entrance to headquarters. After being received as a visitor he is ushered to the Commisioner's office. His conversation with the Commisioner takes his breathe away for the task he is offered.

Let me know if you are enjoying reading this story before I let you know what happens.

TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK
Pat Ritter Books then click.... PRB

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Yesterday I asked if you were enjoying reading the story. I received nil replies. Okay then I'll explain how my mind works when writing a book.

Take this book for example. At the moment I'm focused on writing this book. It's became part of my dreams at night. I'm actually dreaming the scenes of the book. It may sound strange however I can't stop my dreams. It's as if the scenes have formed a life of their own. I meet people in my dreams who are in the book. I talk with them and figure out what is going to happen next.

When I'm awake thoughts are raging through my mind of the next scene to write. It's as if the book has taken over my life. I can visualise how the book is going to grow from receiving those two medals to the journey they take me on with adventure and intrigue.

Many years ago I studied 'Positive Thinking' by reading and studying the author Napolean Hill and particularly a book he'd written 'Think And Grow Rich'. In the book he spoke about forming his own team of experts who sat around a table and discussed ideas with him. In his imagination he honestly thought these meetings were actually happening. He needed to stop because this team was taking over his life.

Thinking back to this time, I suppose I'm experiencing a similar situation in that I'm so excited to write this book - it's actually taking over my life. I'm going to do what Napolean Hill did, I going to relax and write the story as it unfolds from my mind. I've never experienced these things before when I written a book.

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby Nevis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:08 pm

We look forward to your posts Pat. sometimes, life takes over and people only have time to read. Doesn't mean to say you are not being read. Because you certainly are :thanks :mz

For this message the author Nevis has received thanks:
dub
Nevis
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 683 times
Highscores: 20

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Thank you Nevis for your kind thoughts and appreciation. I looked forward to posting more history about my writing career. :punch

TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK
Pat Ritter Books then click.... PRB

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 pm

This morning when I logged onto this site I was surprised to read a message about my writing and more surprised to see the results. Thank you all for spreading the word about my writing and your support. It gives me a warm feeling inside to know people like yourselves are spreading-the-word about my writing. I appreciate all of your efforts.

Now back to my latest novel - Detective Bundy Quicksilver. Yesterday writing the novel Bundy visited The Commissioner at his office. You see when The Commissioner was a constable and Bundy went to the police station to enlist, The Commissioner was the constable who helped him join the police. He'd followed Bundy's journey throughout his career and offered him this opportunity to work within the police again.

The Commissioner introduced Detective Superintendent Kathleen Emerson who would work with Bundy. At this stage Bundy has little idea of what work he needs to do and his future lies in the hands of Detective Superintendent Kathleen Emerson. It's a bit like Dennis Waterman playing the old retired detective in the television series 'New Tricks' on the ABC.

Wait until tomorrow to see where Bundy's life is about to change.

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter