dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 pm

After the launch of 'Closing The Gap' I performed interviews with television show, such as Today Show on Channel Nine. It was exciting to be interviewed by Liz Hayes, now with the television programme '60 Minutes'. She is a delighful person and gave me and 'Closing The Gap' plenty of exposure. The switchboards at Police Headquarters went chazy.

At the same time Crimestoppers was launched. This was also exciting for it was a programme I built from a seed and after twenty-two years is still going. Something must have gone right.

I was exhausted and tired. It was a Friday afternoon. On the following Monday I was selected to attend the Commissioners Officers Course at Police College Chelmer. I was returning to my office and felt my chest was about to burst. I couldn't breathe, my legs felt wobbly.

After I arrived home that afternoon I went to visit a doctor. My heart rate was beating at 17 beats per minute. Immediately I was rushed to the Redcliffe Hospital and admitted. Three days later I underwent an operation to have a pacemaker implanted. It was the 11th January 1990.

Wait until tomorrow and I'll share with you how my second book 'How Could This Happen To Me' was written and published.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Within a couple of weeks I'd climbed Mount Everest and on the decent fell from the edge and landed into a BIG BLACK HOLE!

After the operation I wanted to get back on my feet as soon as possible and take off where I left. Unfortunately it doesn't happen that way. Shortly after leaving hospital and returning home, one morning I arose from bed early and walked into the kitchen.

When I walked into the kitchen I felt a dark cloud envelope my mind. My mind echoed 'you have a heart condition'. For the next three days I sat in a lounge chair and only rose to go to the toilet. Little did I know I was suffering depression.

After three days I made up my mind to get through this depression and get on with my life. Shortly after I returned to work I was told to go home and in a month's time I would receive a medical discharge. It was too dangerous to have a pacemaker in the police.

Exactly twelve months from the day I had my operation I received my discharge from the police. I was no longer a police officer.

The Secretary of the Australian Drug Awareness Foundation which published 'Closing The Gap' telephoned me to travel the eastern states of Australia to promote 'Closing The Gap' on television, radio and Lions Clubs.

Wait until tomorrow and I'll share with you my story of writing my second book.

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm

After three weeks of travelling the eastern states of Australia, I was almost all 'Closing The Gap' out. Don't get me wrong I thoroughly loved spreading-the-word about an idea I developed and had the opportunity to tell whoever listened how to improve communication with their teenage child. Over 4000 books sold during the tour of duty.

I needed a real job, one which would pay a wage. It's strange how one door closes and another opens. I applied for a position as a alcohol and drug counsellor with Queensland Health. I am an alcoholic. I took my last drink of alcohol on 13th January 1977. I would never have guessed I would get a job because of being an alcoholic.

During the following couple of years my mind still contained the black shadow. I would learn it takes from 18 months to 2 years until this black shadow disappears. It's true.

Shortly after it disappeared I saw the blue sky and never wanted to return to depresssion. Instead I wrote and published 'How Could This Happen To Me'. Here is the link:

How Could This Happen To Me, an Ebook by Pat Ritter

At 42 years old I had a pacemaker implant. From that moment onward I had no idea of the future. I fell into a big black hole of depression. This is a story of surviving a life crisis. There were no other books available to explain what the patient endured after the pacemaker implant. I decided to wr...

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 pm

I felt alive once more and wanted to get on with my life. The reason I wrote and published 'How Could This Happen To Me' was because I wanted to help all of those other pacemaker recipients and save them from going through a similar experience.

It's strange how life pans out. At the time I lived at Redcliffe north of Brisbane. I was transferred to work as an alcohol and drug counsellor for Redcliffe and Deception Bay areas. Instead of working from the Community Health Centre I worked from the local Neighbour Centre at each place.

This was terrific. People who were experiencing issues with alcohol and drug problems came to see me at the Neighbourhood Centres. Counselling was conducted under a huge mango tree or a walk along the beach.

I discovered many parents wanted to find out if their child was using drugs, or how could they identify drugs. A mother discovered a white powder in her daughter's bedroom. That afternoon she read the book 'Closing The Gap'. After her child arrived home from school she and her daughter sat down and spoke about the drug. It was heroin.

Wait until tomorrow and I'll take you through the process of writing and publishing my next book to help parents understand what drugs were in their society.

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

After hearing about the mother who found heroin in her daughters bedroom, I became concerned 'why' parents didn't know enough about drugs.

I don't know what it is with me, but when I'm onto something it burns away in my brain until I reach a result. This was an area where parents couldn't identify if their child was using drugs. I'd often be asked the question and it's difficult to answer everyone's questions until you know the answer.

From that moment onward I decided to research and put together a booklet to help parents identify drugs and provide them with information and support to help them.

To test the waters I sent a draft of the new booklet free with each copy of 'Closing The Gap'. Instantly I had success. A Principal from Norfolk Island School telephoned me at home to request I send him another ten copies of 'Closing The Gap' and to include the free book on drugs. I knew I was on the right path.

Here is the book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/67699

Tomorrow I'll share with you the next book I wrote to help young people.
Parents STOP Be Aware Of Your Child Taking Drugs, an Ebook by Pat Ritter
http://www.smashwords.com
Many parents have little idea of the drugs being taken by their children. This is information for parents to understand what type of drugs there are in society. Each drug is explained of the affects and consequences it has when used. Also available are hints to help your child if you discover your...

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:06 am

Thank you Nevis :thanks

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 4
dub, goodtimesdisco, Nevis, smug
patritter