Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 4:

Don't Stop Me Now

When Noel gave us this topic, my mind went directly to a song Elvis Presley sang 'Don't Stop Me Now.' Elvis's voice echoed in my mind listening to the words. Or I might be wrong about the title. May have been 'Don't Leave Me Now.' Anyway, whatever the song title Elvis Presley sang the song.
Growing up in the 50's Elvis Presley became 'King Of Rock & Roll'. I remember aged eight-year-old my mother taking me to the movie theatre at Roma for the movie 'Love Me Tender'. Being his first movie left an impression on an eight-year-old when he sang the title of the movie to his mother. If only I could've possessed a similar voice to Elvis to sing the same song to my mother.
Venturing into my teenage years Elvis Presley created more 'Rock & Roll' music plus acted in the many movies. Elvis never gave up instead changed his act to include a more mature kind of music. After acting in over thirty-six movies Elvis loved touring especially playing Las Vegas International Hotel.
His marriage to Pricilla Presley became the highlight of Elvis's life until the arrival of his only child Lisa Maree Presley, became the apple of his eye. Life went along smooth for Elvis until his desire to entertain his fans took over his life. His love of music grew wide throughout the world placing him 'King Of Rock & Roll'.
Unfortunately, his life with Pricilla ended in divorce. His music never stopped with nightly shows at Las Vegas International Hotel for his audience to enjoy. These shows kept Elvis alive until 1977 when he collapsed and passed away at his home in Graceland’s.
'Don't Leave Me Now' echoed throughout the many radio stations across the world. Fans gathered, most crying to witness the passing of an American Icon. No one believed Elvis was dead. Many have tried to swing their hips, sing songs like Elvis, no one can replace the 'King Of Rock & Roll'.
This year marks forty years since the death of Elvis Presley. Many sightings have been reported across the world. Elvis Presley is dead. His music never died with him. Even after forty years from his death Elvis's music lives on in the soul of his fans.
How can one individual after forty years since he left this world live on in his music. His music should be 'Don't Stop Me Now' which Elvis Presley has proven to the world he continues to sit on his throne as 'King Of Rock & Roll'.
Word count: 435
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 5:

Do You Really Want To Be A Hundred?

In one answer, YES! With thirty-two years to reach this milestone imagine how many books I'd have written and published by the age I turn one hundred years old. Presently I have twenty books. Writing and publishing two books annually by the time I turn one hundred years old keeping up a similar pace as present, I'd eventually have written and published eighty-four books. This would be quite a milestone to reach.
Annually I write and publish One Minute Reads using the stories we write weekly at Pomona Writers Group into a book. Sitting here amongst you all writing the weekly topic Noel has given us. We'd be a jittery old crew at this stage. Perhaps by then we will be using our tablets or i-pads. Or, better still talk our stories to appear before a screen.
Technology being the way by use with i-phones, computers, tablets every other technical appliance available, writing may become a thing of the past. Let’s look back in the past thirty-two years to compare the future of writing.
In 1988; almost thirty-two years ago my first book took three years of hard work. Computers were only being introduced to the public with Commodore. More a word processing package rather than a computer. I remember after completing my shift from work at midnight arriving home to sit at the kitchen table writing on a A5 sheet of paper using a biro. By four o’clock in the morning I retired to bed. This practice went on for almost three years until the manuscript finished before publication.
Transferring the written word onto a computer, I needed to learn how to turn the computer on by using a boot disc, extract the disc, insert a word package disc, type like mad until the disc filled with the writing. Use another disc to fill. This is the manner in which I wrote my first book ‘Closing The Gap’.
After three years, a new word package arrived on the market – Word Perfect 4.1. Like driving a Ford Prefect motor vehicle suddenly driving a brand-new Holden Commodore V8. Change in computer software plus computers reached a new era.
To complete the first manuscript, I used an electric typewriter which at the time became the modern word processor. At least the manuscript looked something like a book, still with A5 size paper. After a couple, more years my manuscript was published by an independent publisher. At the time, ‘Closing The Gap’ safely held in my hand finished. Apart from the birth of my first child, became the highlight to my career as an author. You wouldn’t believe the adrenaline pumping through my veins almost gave me a heart attack.
Present day writing is easier for an author to write, publish, market, sell their books through the internet. All the technology one ever needs.
Do you really want to be a hundred? By all means!
Word count: 493
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 6:

Back Soon With Fish

The year 1975. Married with one child. Our first holiday. Booked into accommodation at Coolangatta. Decided to take our daughter for a walk in the stroller around Greenmount. When we returned to our motel discovered purse lost during walk. Had all our holiday money plus keys to motel. Devastation because in those times banks opened only Monday until Friday. This being Saturday no money until Monday morning after the bank opened.
Anxiety flooded my mind plus body. Retraced pathway where walked couldn't locate missing purse. Reported loss to Police. What should I do? After returning to motel unit I said to my wife. 'Back soon with fish', I muttered leaving my family at the motel. Being a male, I decided to catch a fish for dinner. Later I returned with no fish. Honestly, I didn't have any other ideas.
Hoping for a miracle a knock on the door. Who would be here at this time of night? We paid for the unit. Flashed through my mind. Opening the door two rough looking characters stood at the doorway holding in front of them our purse. 'We found this. Thought we'd return your purse.' He handed me the purse.
In shock I muttered, 'thank you.' Took the purse from them. All the money still in the purse. Nothing missing.
One said, 'cool man.' Both left.
Relief flooded my body sharing this good news with my wife. I hadn't rewarded these fellows for their honesty. Running from the unit hoping to find these two good Samaritans, they'd vanished. I couldn't believe the honesty of these two-young people who returned our purse. Human nature at its best.
My wife laughed. 'Why are you laughing?' I asked puzzled.
'Back soon with fish'. She laughed louder. 'What were you going to do hope a fish jumped on your hook. You're hopeless at fishing.' She continued laughing.
'How else was I going to feed you until Monday?' I thought about her question. Started belly laughing with her. I'd never caught a fish in my life.
Although this vacation happened more than forty-two years ago this incident remained in my mind sparking feelings of anxiety when we lost our purse. Trying to catch a fish became a nightmare, because even if I caught a fish, I had no idea of clearing the fish plus we didn't have facilities in the unit to cook. So, when I told my wife 'back soon with fish' my mind totally fixed on caring for my family.
I've never forgotten those two young men who returned our purse, particularly, finding all our money still in the purse. Five hundred dollars a large amount in those times. Unfortunately, I couldn't find them after I left the unit, searched everywhere to give them a reward for their honesty.
My only hope to have them realise how fortunate we were to have them find our purse plus return the purse to us at the unit. Each time I visit Coolangatta since this time my mind flashes to the same motel recreating the visit from two young honest men. Also, my words to my wife, 'back soon with fish'.
Word count: 532
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 7:

A Lost Cause

Have you ever developed an idea to such a degree to turn white heat almost melting your mind? Napoleon Hill, author of ‘Think and Grow Rich’ explained: Every adversity carries with it the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit. Whilst I’ve never reached the heights of Napoleon Hill, my mind developed an idea to help parents improve their communication with their teenage child.
This idea filled every pore in my body to find a solution. My wife repeated over and over with her comments, ‘a lost cause, flogging a dead horse, who do you think you are to change society.’ These comments drove me onward to find a solution to this difficult problem.
Searching through my history bank to identify why this issue become more than an obsession to solve, I dug deep into my past to recognise reasons why I couldn’t stop until I developed the proper outcome.
I’ll share a secret of my life which only one other person has knowledge this happened. At fourteen years of age, I was no different to any other teenager, or so I thought at the time. At school my buddy wanted me to steal my father’s car to use and ‘run away from home’. After thinking about his proposal, I agreed. My father parked his car at the front of our home with the keys in the ignition. On a night, we arranged I drive to his house, collect him and away we’d go.
Thinking back to this moment I can’t remember why we didn’t carry out our plan. Probably because we chickened out at the final moment. Move forward twenty years. My role at the time to protect children under age seventeen years. An issue, almost impossible to solve, ‘teenage children running away from home’ developed.
Instead of solving this issue, each time I tried to prevent a teenager from running away from home, road blocks appeared. Many times, I thought of giving up. Something forced through my mind to make me search for the answer.
Not only my wife told me this idea was a lost cause, my bosses, workmates, and friends admitted the same. One told me, ‘you’re painting yourself into a corner.’ These words drove me on to find an answer.
After so many failures I almost believed those others who told me my idea to be a lost cause might be right. I never gave up. An answer to my problem just around the corner always drove me onward. My self-belief focused on finding an answer drove me toward my goal. Battling my way through adversity, out-of-the-blue a sign appeared to show me the way to find a solution.
Communication became my mantra. Parents didn’t possess the skills to communicate with their teenage child. My role to listen to each parent, spit out their frustrations of their teenage child’s behaviour, whilst on the other side of the coin protect the teenage child from intimidation or frightened to speak their mind in presence of their parents. During each session between parents and their teenage child each party placed their issues on the table to discuss a solution.
Ninety-nine percent of the issues were parents failed to possess the skills to communicate with their teenage child. After showing each parent improved skills, like the ability to listen, understand these issues, no greater pleasure than to witness both parties hug, cry and kiss one another. Always bought a lump to my throat with emotion to witness this scene.
I’d discovered the holy grail of ‘teenage children running away from home’. This wasn’t a lost cause after all.
Word count: 606
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 8:

A Cliff Too Far

During my absence from the writer's group, my partner and I boarded a paddle boat Murray Princess on a Murray River Cruise. Never having done this before excitement built inside my mind taking me to the movies from America of their paddle steamer experiences.
Murray River is the longest river in Australia reaching two thousand five hundred kilometres from the ocean. Wide enough to share many boats. House boats dot the landscape either birthed, moving up or down the river with other traffic. Small hamlets several kilometres apart resemble villages dotted along the landscape. Bird life in abundance of various species.
Our journey commenced at Mannum in Victoria established in the late 1800's. Buildings from the era still stand. My first impression of Murray Princess took my breath away. Total of one hundred and twenty-five passengers with twenty-five crew in attendance. Each crew member excited to invite passengers onboard to enjoy their journey.
Settling into our cabin our journey began. In our minds we had no idea of the experience we were about to undertake. Leaving our moorings at Mannum, the Captain steered the boat north. Our first call of duty for all passengers to assemble in the Dinner Hall to be addressed by staff about safety whilst on board.
Slowly moving along the river our paddle boat made little noise only the swishing of the paddle wheel at the rear end of the boat. Length of the boat measuring a football field. After all safety measures were explained, we relaxed in lounges to partake of refreshments.
Standing on the deck looking across the river huge cliffs reached for the sky leaving our paddle boat appear small compared to these cliffs. After my mouth closed my mind couldn't believe the height of these cliffs only on one side of the river. A cliff too far exploded in my mind. How cliffs be so high on one side of the river whilst on the other flat land. Unbelievable experience.
These cliffs made of limestone, layer upon layer reaching high above the water. Straight upward. Birds nesting burrowed into the limestone. An experience I shall never forget or wonder how this act of nature occurred.
Moving along at a slow pace, like slow boat to china, our minds began to relax taking in the sights and landscape. Nightime fell, our paddle boat moored at the nearest village for the night. This being a four-day tour meant our vessel sailed up river for so far, turned around to return to Mannum.
Over the next couple of days, we leisurely cruised the Murray River stopping along the way, going on bush walks, experiencing a bush bar-b-que, enjoying the company of guests. Our crew were beyond special. Each doing their job professionally.
Returning after our four days to Mannum we disembarked farewelling our crew members who stood at the bottom of the gangplank wishing us farewell also thanking us for our company on board their vessel. A highlight to this wonderful trip, a cliff too far. An experience never forgotten.
Word count: 514
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:06 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 9:

How Did We End Up Here?

We may discuss the birds and bees, theory. Or to be more specific how did we end up here at Pomona Writers Group. An interesting story. Pomona Writers Group saved myself as well as my writing career so to speak. I've been a member since 2010.
I'd love to share my story of how did we end up here. In October 2010, I read in the local throwaway Mary Valley Voice an invitation for writers to attend an introduction day of Pomona Writers Group to be held at the Pomona Bowling Club. I attended to meet some of the most wonderful people I've ever met in my life.
Before entering I met Pam who like myself wanted to attend this introduction day. Jim, the facilitator of the group at the time met Pam and I at the front door introducing himself with a warm welcome. We entered the dining area of the club to meet members of the Pomona Writers Group.
This moment almost surreal because before attending this meeting my writing career had almost come to an end. After writing and publishing many books, in all honesty I never had a clue what I was going to write next. Jim certainly changed that idea. His introduction gave me a shining light to the end of the tunnel. His words seeped into my mind. An important subject he mentioned – no judgement on any writing. Write whatever comes into your mind. No one will judge you or your writing.
Now Jim mentioned these rules, my mind sparked electricity. Electric currents escaped from my ears. My mind alive with words and motivation never experienced. I'd been a member of another writers group subjected the writer to criticism. I didn't want to personally experience these critiques again. My mind relaxed. I became a member of Pomona Writers Group instantly.
My writing journey turned a corner now I became a member of Pomona Writers Group. Excitement filled my mind to forge ahead with my dream to become an author. A tough road to travel especially a lonely one not many others to depend on along the way. Members of Pomona Writers Group since my beginning have been the best writers I have ever come across.
Our facilitator, Noel, provides us with a topic to write as our homework for the week. From this topic five hundred words or round about the number to express a story from the topic. Writing these number of words is tough to share your writing with all members of the group for following week.
When listening to the other members stories my mind swallows these stories to keep in a safe place. By each member writing about a similar topic one would think most of the stories would be similar. Not likely. Each story is completely different written by each member. Amazing.
I pride myself in writing these five hundred words. I name One Minute Reads which I publish annually as eBooks. This year will mark seven books of these One Minute Reads I've written at Pomona Writers Group recording each story I've written.
Would you believe for an author writing five hundred words for a story is tougher than writing a novel of over fifty thousand words. We write five hundred words weekly for our homework. You may ask: How Did We End Up Here.
Word count: 574
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:24 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 10:

How The World Ends

I have a dream! This dream is to win lotto. Weekly I play lotto games daily in the hope to win. Okay, let's say for instance I do win lotto. What would be my dream? To have a spare $1M my dream would be to own a racehorse. Not any racehorse, a special racehorse.
Bart Cummings, one of the greatest racehorse trainers this country has ever witnessed passed away handing down his training complex to his grandson James. A racehorse Bart trained to win the Australian Cup named So You Think. This stallion won over $8M during his racing career. So You Think stands at Coolmore Stud, New South Wales.
With $1M in my possession this amount of money will pay for a service fee to, So You Think hopefully to breed a colt foal. For this foal to be a champion racehorse a suitable mare of strong breeding to be mated for a better than average result.
After searching the broodmares of Coolmore Stud a suitable mare by the name of Independence Day came to light. Mating Independence Day to So You Think to produce a colt foal to name him Howtheworldends. Now to release my dream into the universe to make my dream come true. These dreams are fate and destiny mixed with a huge dose of LUCK!
Mating season for thoroughbreds commence anytime after September of each year. After joining So You Think with Independence Day result of the joining is eleven months Howtheworldends born in August 2018. From birth the foal is nursed by its mother for six months when the foal is weaned to join other foals born around the same period.
Howtheworldends reaches the age of a yearling building strength from running and playing with his mates. Turning twenty months old Howtheworldends is sent to a horse breaker to ready his forthcoming racing career. After being broken into race he is transported to James Cummings Stables in Sydney for training.
He is allocated a strapper who takes care of his every need. Daily brushing, walks, exercise to build muscle. James Cummings highly depends on information from Howtheworldends strapper to plan the horse's future for racing.
Howtheworldends becomes a champion like his father So You Think. His winnings take him from a maiden two-year-old to become one of the best two-year-old racehorses for the season of 2020. His winnings turn into $5M. His selling price $20M.
Would I part with him for $20M? Not in your life. Howtheworldends will go down in history as being one of the best racehorses ever bred and raced. Pages of history will show how he beat the best two-year-old horses in Australia and New Zealand.
Increasing his prizemoney from year to year extends higher than any other racehorse in history. His final feat to win the Melbourne Cup. His father finished third in the race years before. Howtheworldends goes two places better with James Cummings training him winning this great race.
This is my dream. If this was so simple.
Word count: 514
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter