Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:50 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 8:

The Gate.

Unfortunately this gate didn’t swing like any other. It dragged along the ground. With years of torture from cattle crashing into it, a bar missing and others bent in all directions. How it kept any animal from escaping was anyone’s guess. At times it didn’t.
Actually I felt sorry for the gate because if it had a mind of its own no doubt it would have wanted to be repaired. So, being a kind person as I am, I decided to bring it back to life? Unscrewing the hinges from the top of the gate it gave way with a sigh of relief. How it survived this long was anyone’s guess. The top bar was mangled and twisted.
Normally these gates had three steel tubes equally spaced from the top to the bottom running along the length. One was completely missing whilst the other two hung by a thread. I laid the gate on the ground to decide how to repair it. What a task. Perhaps it may have been better to purchase a new one rather than repair this old one. I wanted to repair it and bring it back to life.
Taking a sledge hammer to it as it laid spreadeagled on the ground I continued hammering it with all of my might. A slight dent here and there and after more bashing with the sledge hammer finally the gate again looked like a gate; the exterior of it anyway.
There it lay bare with only two bars running from left to right across. At least now it had straightened a little more than it had when swinging from the post. When repairing other gates I always stood them upright to take an eye view of the straightness and shape. My eye was better than a tape measure to measure the distance from corner to corner. If I saw it was straight than other people who looked at the gate would also see it was straight.
To make it stronger I welded three pipes running along the gate between the top and bottom in equal distance. To finally complete the task I welded upright bars from top to bottom in equal distance.
The gate was now reborn with the strength of Samson. With a coat of silver-frost paint it rose from the ashes of death and now happily swings from the post at the cattle yard where it should last for a few more years.
Word count: 412
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120881.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:13 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 9:

How To Mend A Broken Heart.

My mother once told me, ‘you’ll know when the right one comes along.’ She always had an intuition of what was about to happen. What is stranger than my mother’s intuition is, only recently, I had been thinking of my first love or whatever it was. And now this story has been given to us to write.
Let me share with you my first love, or perhaps it wasn’t love – it may have been something else. Whatever it was broke my heart. I honestly thought I was going to die. The thought of not being with this person shook the earth below my feet. I felt devastated and hurt. Every bone in my body ached and I kept asking, ‘why me?’
There was little to do in our neighbourhood where I lived and one afternoon I decided to go for a walk. Entering a park a girl around my age walked toward me. Our eyes met - hers brown and sparking. I couldn’t take my eyes from her, she was beautiful.
I stopped and wanted to speak with her and couldn’t. The cat had caught my tongue. Nerves twisted and turned in my body.
‘How are you today?’ Her sweet voice echoed in the air. I was gob smacked. Why would this beautiful and delightful girl want to speak with me? We chatted for a time, exchanging names and where we lived. She asked me to walk her home.
Her Irish parents greeted me with warmth and care and wanted me to stay for afternoon tea. Was I in a dream or was this actually happening, I thought.
From the day we’d met we continued to see one another either at her home or mine. By this time she’d met my family and it was deemed she was part of my life.
Life couldn’t be any better for a fifteen year old teenager who thought he’d found true love. We’d been inseparable for fifteen months. By this time I turned sixteen years of age. Actually I thought I was in love, but at the age of adolescents I really didn’t understand what the term ‘love’ actually meant.
One afternoon I introduced ‘my love’ to my ‘best friend’. Their eyes glued together and within a week I was told me get on my bike and move on. I felt the world had ended. How could my best friend do this to me after I introduced them?
I remembered the words told to me by my mother, ‘you’ll know when the right one comes along.’ Obviously this first encounter with the opposite sex wasn’t the right one.
Anyway eventually I did overcome puppy love and found the right one.
Word count: 456.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120881.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:16 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 10:

The Troubled Man.

Bundy Quicksilver staggered from the public bar of the Railway Hotel. It was closing time. Each night he visited his watering hole to catch up with his mates. On this particular night his mates left at six o’clock stating they were going home to their wife and family. Bundy couldn’t understand why after an hour of drinks they wanted to go home. His session had just begun.
At eight o’clock he looked at his watch through blurred eyes to see it was almost time to leave. The next he remembered was the barman shouting, ‘last drinks gentlemen.’ He couldn’t explain how the past two hours went so quickly.
His trusted steed, the iron horse, Hillman Minx was tied to the hitching rail as he almost fell while stepping from the kerb. The police station was across the road so he thought he’d better act right. They’d be on the lookout for drunks driving their car home but Bundy was sure they wouldn’t catch him because he was one of them.
The iron horse knew its own way home, thank goodness, because Bundy had little sense of how he arrived home. He found his house in darkness, and thought no one was home until he almost fell up the front steps and stumbled falling to the floor. Picking himself up, he staggered into the bedroom and the bed lamp illuminated. Ada, his lovely wife shouted, ‘don’t think you’re sleeping here tonight – you’re drunk. You sleep on the lounge’.
Bright and early next morning Bundy committed his daily ritual by emptying the contents of his stomach on the back lawn. He’d slept in the clothes he’d worn the day before and vomit splattered over his new shoes. His mouth felt as though birds had built a nest and his head thumped as if someone was banging a hollow forty-four gallon drum.
Ada wasn’t happy. When Bundy walked into the kitchen to the smell of fried bacon and eggs, he almost vomited.
‘You come home drunk tonight; I’m taking the kids and leaving. I’ve had enough’, she shouted. Bundy couldn’t believe the words his wife blurted out to hear them clearly.
‘Is there a problem with my drinking?’ He wanted to know.
‘You come home drunk every night and I don’t know where you are half the time. I’ve had enough, and enough is enough.’
A cold feeling overcome him, ‘I PROMISE YOU NOW, I WILL NEVER DRINK AGAIN.’ He told her.
Bundy kept his promise and never drank alcohol again and that was thirty-four years ago.
Word count: 430.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:14 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 11:

Chasing The Sun.

It was a time when the Beach Boys sang about surfing and celebrations. Lester and Danny, my mates from those days wanted to chase the sun with their surf board. They’d been mates since childhood and I felt I was the third wheel. At times I felt I would never fit in and to tell the truth I doubt that I did. Until one day they wanted a set of surf board racks made to carry their surf board on top of Lester’s car.
My expertise was welding and making anything from cement trowels to surf board racks. This was a time before surf board racks were publically manufactured. Instead of carrying the surf board on top of the car, half of it hung out of the back window or if you had a panelvan, it was carried in the back.
Surf board racks, simply made, were two rods, usually the domestic straw broom handle, fastened by a locking devise to the gutters on the roof of the vehicle. It was ingenious at the time and never in my wildest dreams would have thought the idea would spread world-wide.
I manufactured four couplings and fastened them to the gutter on either side of the roof on Lester’s Austin A40 Sedan. A triangular steel plate held them in position, together with a threaded steel rod passed through a tube welded to the plate. When tightened, the triangular steel plate locked into the guttering of the roof on the vehicle holding the roof rack in position.
To complete the surf board racks, the handle of a straw broom minis the broom head, was passed through steel tubing welded on top of each coupling. It looked fancy and all there was left to do was lay the surf board on top of the rack and fasten it to both wooden handles.
Leslie and Danny chased the surf that summer without me. I continually felt I was the third wheel and they weren’t too keen to have me along. On their return from their escapade they abused my workmanship because during their trip the surf board racks broke and they lost their surf board.
With the speed of the vehicle together with the cylindrical force against the roof racks holding the surf board caused the roof rack couplings to loosen and break from the guttering of the vehicle.
Looking back on the event some fifty years later I may have been slack in welding the racks to the proper standard or perhaps it was I knew they were more interested in going with themselves rather than have me chase the sun with them.
Our friendship didn’t last past those years and I wonder why?
Word count: 456

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Thank you dub for your thanks: Here is the story for today: 'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 12:

My Uncle’s Donkey.

When we received this story to write, I didn’t have the slightest idea on where to start until I checked on Google. To my surprise after typing in ‘my uncle’s donkey’ in the search field revealed a novel ‘My Uncle’s Donkey’ written by author Tohby Riddle. Before searching the name I’d never heard of the title of the book nor the author.
Eagerly I read the notes published by the author and was astonished to read the idea actually came when he had a ‘silly’ conversation with his then three-year-old niece. The author told his niece he had a donkey in his apartment where he lived. This lead to questions and sparked the imagination from each of them. She laughed at his answers. This small collection of words became an idea for a book.
Speaking about a donkey living in an apartment, as a book, on our recent Christmas Tour with Sinclair Tours, I was seated beside an aged lady who loved to talk. Could she talk? Our bus was nearing the town of Cooma when she asked me what I did. I told her we bred miniature horses.
‘What do you do with them?’ She asked in her inquisitive voice.
‘We invite them inside the house and each has their own small lounge chair to sit and watch television.’ I told her with a straight face.
Her hand went to her mouth, ‘Oh – you’re telling me lies, you don’t do that.’ She was aghast by my comment.
‘No I’m not – each miniature horse has their own chair and when we have our meals they sit at the table with us.’ I continued to share with her. She almost called me a liar until the owner of the bus whispered in her ear he had personally seen them sitting at the table eating their oats and chaff.
My imagination went wild seeing these small horses only 34 inches in height sitting in their lounge chair watching Mr Ed on television and whinny with laughter at the jokes. This poor woman didn’t know what to believe and later asked me if she could come to my home to witness such an assembly. I invited her.
By the end of the trip she didn’t know who or what to believe but thinking about what Tohby Riddle wrote about the conversation between he and his niece to plant a seed for a book ‘my uncle’s donkey’, I think a book could be written about ‘my miniature horses and what they get up to’.
Word count: 426.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:26 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 13:

Sophie’s Unicorn.

It was in the fifties and I reckoned my grandmother was the greatest cook in the whole wide world. I was either ten or eleven – I’m not certain, however I clearly remember my birthday party and the cake my grandmother made. This birthday would be remembered for a number of reasons. Not only from the gathering of school friends and relatives who attended, but for the delightful and elegant birthday cake she made.
She’d spent hours preparing the filling for the cake of mixed fruit; flour; butter; milk; eggs and all of the other ingredients. Her speciality was not baking the cake but how she decorated it to become a masterpiece of elegance and delight. This particular cake affected my life forever. The base was round and coloured blue – my favourite colour. Green grass made of marzipan icing – thick and hard to hold and glisten in the light. My name and a Happy Birthday written in dark blue inscribed with more marzipan icing.
Appearing on the second level was a bright coloured blue unicorn lying down gazing out from the centre. Its eyes seemed to follow you whenever you moved. A huge horn projected from its forehead. This moment was surreal; I couldn’t understand why my grandmother had made a unicorn. Covering the unicorn was another layer of cake resembling a stable with straw bedding made from marzipan icing.
If ever a person was gobsmashed, it was me. I couldn’t believe that anyone would make such a glorious gift. It should never be eaten, I commented. At first when I saw the cake I must admit to being a little bemused about the unicorn. I couldn’t understand until my grandmother enlightened me with her story of Sophie’s Unicorn. Her words penetrated my mind to remain there forever.
If ever I wanted anything in life, all I needed to do was to touch the tip of the horn of Sophie’s Unicorn and my wish would come true. This was like having a genie in a bottle. There was one condition in touching the tip of Sophie’s Unicorn. My thoughts had to be for the good of others.
Ever since the first time I touched the tip of horn of Sophie’s Unicorn, a magic entered my mind to do a good turn for a person rather than a bad one and to treat people how I wanted to be treated and this is with trust and honesty.
My grandmother was a wise person.
Word count: 416
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:25 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 14:

The Dawn Service.

This is the first time I attended The Dawn Service. It was at Imbil and from the large gathering almost half of the surrounding community attended. This day left a huge sorrow in my heart of reasons why I haven’t attended one before.
A couple of times a year I visit my elderly aunt. During my last visit she handed me a folder, ‘you may be interested to read about your grandfather. This is a record of his army service.’ It was the first time I’d seen his army service records.
My grandfather, Thomas Daniel Wilson number 2752 was a private attached to 49 Infantry Battalion. He enlisted on 4th July 1916 and soon afterwards left Australian shores. On 7th April 1917 he was wounded in action whilst flighting in France. After rehabilitation in England he returned to France where he fought to the end of the war.
Up until the time my aunt gave this folder I didn’t know anything about the history of where my grandfather fought and thank goodness he survived because had he been fatally injured I wouldn’t be here to share this story with you. At the time of joining the armed forces he was 21 years old. His whole life had been in the bush and gladly he used his bush instincts to survive. I can’t imagine what he went through at such a tender age.
This Anzac Day is the first time I’ve thought about my grandfather. I decided to attend the dawn service at Imbil. I did it in memory of him. At the time of his death I was two years old and therefore didn’t have the opportunity to have him as a grandfather only identifying him in photographs. Little did I realise after sixty years I’ve found solace and comfort in knowing my grandfather fought in World War 1.
When the last post was herald by the bugler my heart swelled with joy and a tear trickled down my face. My thoughts at the time were of my grandfather fighting the enemy on France’s shores, across the other side of the world. I am a lucky person to have him as my grandfather and feel proud he represented and fought for his Queen and country.
During the service, a poem was read of a grandson asking his grandfather his story of the war. Listening to the words put me in vision of asking my own grandfather about the war and like the words of the poem most of the story would have been hidden and only the good of man would have been told.
Thank goodness we had soldiers like my grandfather who fought to protect their country and to know his grandchildren would benefit from those days he fought the enemy in France to give us the freedom we all now enjoy.
Word count: 479
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter