• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:19 pm

'The Drover' - Page 123:

‘I’m Harry Williams and this is my wife Rose.’ Harry replied to the officer.
‘Pleased to meet you missus.’ He tilted his hat toward Rose.
‘What can I do for you officer?’ Harry asked. He wasn’t intimidated by the police officer but didn’t have much to do with the law only the time he went for his driver’s license and a couple of other times. He was a law abiding citizen.
‘Can I have a look at your stock, where’d you come from and where you going?’ The officer inquired. Whenever a police officer asked a question it always had a sense of authority in the question. Was it the way the police officer asked the question or was it something to fear, Harry wondered.
‘We’ve been on the road for almost ten months. I’ve got five hundred bullocks from Bulloo Downs in south west Queensland and taking them to Clifton Hills in South Australia.’ Harry answered with honesty and integrity.
‘Could I have a look at your stock permit and way bill?’ The police officer asked.
‘Yeah – I’ll get it for you.’ Harry left the camp to go to the front glove compartment of the truck to retrieve the documentation.
‘Would you like a cup of tea officer?’ Rose asked.
‘Oh, yes please – I’d love one, thank you.’ The officer replied. At times it was a difficult job but according to the law he needed to sight the stock permit and waybill and make an inspection of the travelling stock.
Harry returned with the stock permit and waybill and handed it to the officer. He looked over the permit and checked the number of stock on the waybill.
‘Have you a spare horse I could ride. I’d like to have a look at the stock to check the brands and earmarks.’
‘Yeah, I’ll get one of the kids to get you a quiet one.’ Harry replied. ‘Claire would you saddle up Trickle for the officer.’
PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/95766.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 pm

'The Drover' - Page 124:

Claire left and after catching and saddling Trickle – a quiet bally brown mare, she led her back to camp and handed the reins to the officer. After finishing his tea the officer handed the cup to Rose and said, ‘thank you for your kind gesture. It’s the best cup of tea I’ve had for awhile. I love tea when it’s brewed in a billy. The taste is just like the bush.’
Without hesitation he swung into the saddle. ‘Are you joining me Harry?’ He asked.
‘Yeah, I’ll show you around.’ Harry joined the officer and rode beside him whilst the inspection was carried out. Harry was pleased he never picked up any stray cattle along the track for from his observation he saw the officer knew his job and would’ve spotted a stray beast a mile away in the mob.
After inspecting the mob they returned to the camp.
‘They’re fine. I’ll sign and date your waybill and I’ll be on my way. You have a good trip and it was nice to meet you both.’ The officer signed the waybill adding the date he inspected the mob, bid farewell and drove away from the camp.
The remainder of the trip to Clifton Hills was uneventful as compared to the whole trip from Bulloo Downs. After Harry handed the cattle over to the manager, he asked if he could leave some of his horses on the property. Unless Greg decided to drove them back to Cunnamulla which would take another twelve months or more – it was easier to give the plant to the station. The manager agreed.
Harry bid the manager farewell on receiving payment for the drove. His wage was the largest he had ever received for a job and now he needed to be careful because he didn’t know when the next trip would be.
With Falcon and Dusty safely tied in the rear compartment of the back of the truck, the dogs safely locked in their boxes, the children including Greg all gathered at the top of the back of the truck, Harry left Clifton Hills for their return to Cunnamulla.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 pm

'The Drover' - Page 125:

Chapter 16

It was good to be home again in their little bungalow in Cunnamulla. Work needed to be done to extend the home to make it liveable for the family of twelve children. The twins were now walking and talking, Annie continued to grow each day and eventually she learned to improve walking by standing straighter and even at times competed with the other children in running and playing.
Harry continued droving but the trips become less and less.
On one of his final trips he had a mob of sheep taking them from Coongoola to Cunnamulla. One night they were camped about ten miles north of Cunnamulla.
He was enjoying a smoke sitting around the camp fire when a flash looking car pulled up to the camp. To his surprise it was the Premier of Queensland - Joh Bjelke-Petersen who stepped from the vehicle. Harry had seen his photograph in newspapers and saw him at the pictures when they had the newsreel.
‘How are you today?’ The Premier said.
Harry sat on a log near the fire and this person came up to him offered his hand to shake, ‘I’m the Premier of Queensland, Joh Bjelke-Petersen, I’m out this way to have a look at the country. May I join you?’
Harry stood and shook his hand, ‘Yeah, okay – do you want a cup of tea or somethin.’ He asked. Harry was nervous and never before spoke to or had in his presence a person such as the Premier of Queensland.
‘Yes, a cup of tea would be lovely.’ The Premier replied.
‘Rose, this is the Premier of Queensland – I didn’t quite get his name, but would you get him a cup of tea.’ He said to Rose.
‘Please to meet ya Premier,’ Rose replied. ‘How do you have it?’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm

'The Drover' - Page 126:

‘Milk and one sugar thank you. Hope it’s not too much trouble.’ The Premier finished.
‘What about your driver. Does he want a cuppa too?’ Rose asked.
‘Bill, do you want a cuppa with these lovely folk?’
‘Yes please,’ he replied alighting from the vehicle.
‘And how do you have your tea?’ Rose directed the question to the driver.
‘Black and strong – thank you.’
After everyone sat around the camp drinking their tea the Premier said, ‘what are you doing here?’
‘Droving these sheep to Cunnamulla.’ Harry replied thinking why he asked a stupid question, obviously he saw the sheep in the brake.
‘Do you love droving?’ The Premier asked.
‘It’s my whole life.’ Harry replied.
‘You know road transport is taking over droving.’ The Premier implied.
Harry knew road transport was moving more stock and probably would be in the future but he had no control over that only he had sufficient work to keep him going.
‘Yeah, there’s not too many left like us anymore.’ He told The Premier.
‘Hopefully, I’ll get you away from all this.’ He said.
Harry felt a pain drive from the bottom of his stomach directly to his mind – shock - on hearing these words from the Premier of the State. He didn’t know what to say, if he had a crystal ball he might have known what the Premier was talking about.
They said their farewells and the Premier thanked them for their hospitality and left.
‘What do you think he meant by that?’ Rose asked Harry when the car left the camp.
‘I haven’t a clue. I suppose him being the Premier he would know what’s going on better than we do. I’d like to know what he’ll do for us if he got me away from all this.’ Harry said in puzzlement.
RCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/95766.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm

'The Drover' - Page 127:
Months turned into years and eventually the words from the Premier echoed in Harry’s ears – Hopefully, I’ll get you away from all this.
After five years of wondering, Harry knew it was the end of the road for droving. What would he do? It’s all he knew.
The children grew up fast; Claire finished school and wanted to go droving with her father.
‘It’s finished girl, you’ll need to find something else to keep you busy. Droving is finished.’ He told his daughter with a tear in his eye.
Eventually Harry got a job as town slaughterman employed by the local butcher. This meant he commenced work at six o’clock each day and finished when he’d slaughtered sufficient stock. At times he killed up to forty sheep; six pigs; and three bullocks per week.
Whilst the job paid the bills Harry wasn’t completely happy with how life had turned out. He’d rather be on the open plain droving sheep or cattle along the stock routes from daylight until dark. Rather than droving them he was now slaughtering them for the town folk of Cunnamulla.
At least Harry could afford to feed and clothe his children, all twelve of them, and he knew in his heart his sister looked down from above to see her children had grown up to be proper adults.
Unfortunately he didn’t see much of Les over the years, at times when Les visited Cunnamulla to see his children; he didn’t stay long enough to become acquainted. The children knew Harry and Rose more as their parents than they did their own father.
Harry was now fifty-six years old, he suffered what he thought was a common chest cold. Although he was tough and thought he could get through anything life dealt out to him, the doctor told him he had cancer; the probable cause being constant smoking of cigarettes since an early age.
Harry underwent a number of operations to find a cure, unfortunately the cancer spread rapidly; he lost the one fight he wanted to win and passed away in the Cunnamulla Hospital with his family by his bedside.
At his funeral service there wasn’t a dry eye in the church, the same church he and Rose married almost thirty years before.
Most of the town folk joined the family at the service and later Harry was laid to rest at the Cunnamulla Cemetery beside his son and sister. His hat and spurs placed in the coffin beside his body just in case he needed them in heaven.
The following words inscribed on the headstone –
Here lies Harold (Harry) Clarence Williams
The Last Of The Ole Drovers
May He Rest In Peace
THIS IS THE FINAL PAGE OF 'THE DROVER'. I HOPED YOU HAVE ENJOYED READING THIS STORY. IF I DID COULD I ASK YOU TO LEAVE A REVIEW ON THIS LINK: https://www.amazon.com/…/…/B005YTGUOM/ref=la_B008MQASQA_1_2…. MUCH APPRECIATED. NEW BOOK TOMORROW.

The Drover
Droving in outback Queensland was a roaring trade in the late 1940's and 50's. Australia lived off the sheep's back with wool being one pound sterling for one pound of wool. Everyone had money.Sheep and cattle needed to be taken from place to…
amazon.com
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Today is my latest book 'The Year That Never Was'. Book number 21. I want to thank you all for reading my daily post plus for your continued support. Much appreciated. Here is the introduction to this latest book:

AUTHORS NOTE:

Fourth in this 'Outback Australia' series from 1899 to 1902 in Australian history. Australians fought in the Boer War in South Africa. Federation of our nation. Two great events in our history during this period. Although this book is fictional many of the events are true in our history. Each character is created from my imagination.
One important addition to this book is a song written by my fellow member of Pomona Writers Group. At one meeting Evie Pikler asked to sing a song she'd written more than thirty years before. Evie sang 'Australia Calls Us Home'. Tears welled in my eyes after she finished her song. I asked her if she'd permit me to include her song into this book. Evie agreed. Click onto this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5T6OspSrvY to watch Evie's great song of 'Australia Calls Us Home'. I thank Evie from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to use her song in this book.

Story Thus Far:

The Shearer’:

‘The Shearer’ is the first book in 'Outback Australia' series. Set in 1891. Scene of ‘The Great Shearers Strike’. Major character Joe Ryan who fought for better working conditions and wages for his fellow shearers.
1890 Joe Ryan met his friend Joe Gibson, a fellow shearer to help fight for better working conditions and wages.
During the strike, graziers wouldn’t permit ‘striking shearers’ to shear their sheep. Contracted shearers were those who held a ‘non-union ticket to shear’ only hired by graziers. Joe Gibson held this ticket.
At the height of ‘Great Shearers Strike of 1891’ Joe Ryan gathered his shearers to strike on the outskirts of Cunnamulla. Four months they survived until police intervened to stop the strike. Joe Gibson met his friend Joe Ryan on the final day at the strike camp before police arrived. They exchanged clothing and personal items. Joe Gibson took Joe Ryan’s place to change identities.

‘Click Go The Shears’:

‘Click Go The Shears’ is the second book in 'Outback Australia' series. Follow-on from ‘The Shearer’. Joe Ryan who has the identity of Joe Gibson escapes capture whilst Joe Gibson takes the place of Joe Ryan to be tried for leading the strikers. Thirteen strikers appeared in court. Each sentenced to three years’ imprisonment for their part. Joe Ryan (Gibson) served his imprisonment at St Helen Island Prison in Moreton Bay.
At the end of his prison term both Joes met at Barcaldine (original town where strike occurred) to return to their own identities. Joe Gibson returned to Cunnamulla met Hannah who still resided with Ma at her boarding house. Joe and Hannah fell in love. In the final end to this story, they marry. Hannah’s father gifts his property ‘Tilbaroo Station’ to them as their wedding gift. The story continues:

‘Tilbaroo Station’

‘Tilbaroo Station’ is the third book in 'Outback Australia' series. Joe discovers an artisan bore on ‘Tilbaroo Station’. Nat wants all of his nine remaining properties to have bores. The only person who divined for water is deceased. By accident Hannah discovers a student in her class, ten-year-old Ryan Carlson who discovers water on Nat’s property.
Underground artisan water is discovered in 1897. Ryan’s father, Todd Carlson, Chief Engineer for Queensland Railway Department employed to build the rail link from Charleville to Cunnamulla has been selected by The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA to oversee the bores established in the region. A committee is formed with Joe Gibson, Nat Young being members of the committee. Todd Carlson, Chairman.
By the end of 1898 a newly constructed Cunnamulla Railway Station has been built. Underground water discovered on many of Nat Young’s properties. Todd Carlson, Chairman of ‘Great Artisan Water Basin Committee’ has been appointed Commissioner of Water Resources for Queensland. The story continues:

‘The Year That Never Was’

‘The Year That Never Was’ is the fourth book in 'Outback Australia' series. This is an exciting period for Australia because after Captain Cook discovered Australia in 1770, settled by Europeans, Australia finally became a Nation with the election of their first Prime Minister. Also, young Australians represented their Colony on behalf of British Empire left their homeland to fight Boers in the 'Boer War' in South Africa. Read on to discover this important occasion involving Joe, Hannah and her family.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/758644.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 1:

Chapter 1

‘Joe. The year that never was. I think 1898 being that year. Drought; our friends leaving, only you and I left.’ Hannah expressed to Joe seated on their swing on the front veranda at their new home on ‘Tilbaroo Station’.
‘Cheer up my dearest darling Hannah.’ Joe expressed in an endearing voice. ‘What about our other friends, Keith, Daisy, Desi, plus little Daisy? They’re still here. 1899 began with hope. Rain will come. One day, I hope.’ Joe looked toward the horizon to thin sweeping clouds. ‘Not much cloud. Plenty of heat. No bloody rain. More bores to drill. This year. A year to remember. Not that never was.’ Joe continued in an uplifted tone hopeful to cheer his wife. Joe’s greatest concern, Hannah. He didn’t want her to worry since their friends left for greener pastured.
Carlson family left six weeks before to take up their new positions in life. Hannah missed her friend Melinda, plus young Ryan. She needed to gain another interest in her life. A couple of days before, she received a letter from Melinda. Her family settled in Brisbane. Todd enjoyed his role as Commissioner of Water Resources for Queensland. Ryan enrolled at a prestigious school whilst Melinda tried to ‘fit in’ with city folk. Melinda couldn’t believe twelve months before she lived in a tent in the middle of nowhere. Now lived in the lap of luxury not wanting for anything.
Hannah’s thoughts returned when she first met young Ryan. One of her students at Cunnamulla State School where she taught. Her life changed from this moment. Ryan impressed Hannah with his ability to divine for water on her father’s properties. A simple task of finding an appropriate fork from a nearby mulga tree, striping the bark with his pocket knife, placing the fork between his index finger and thumb, walk, walk and walk until the fork bent indicating water below the surface.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/758644.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter