• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:16 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 39:

‘Dad. I can find water?’ Ryan expressed in a convinced voice.
‘I’ve been given the task to establish ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ in Cunnamulla and beyond.’ Todd explained with a smile.
‘Dad! This is wonderful news. Congratulations.’ Ryan ran to his father wrapped his arms around his neck, ‘I’m proud of you.’ Ryan released his hold returned to his seat.
‘Thank you Ryan.’ Todd’s expression fell to embarrassment.
‘Dad, I’m proud of what you do. You’re the best.’ Ryan smiled with his beautiful smile showing white teeth with crinkled eyes. Others would kill for a smile like Ryan’s.
‘Don’t put yourself down so quick.’ Melinda butted into their conversation. ‘You’ll work something out. You always do.’
‘Mel, hope this projects works. This is a huge development. I’ve done little research so far my mind shows me an underground sea sits below us filled with water to service this outback. Graziers in this area will have more water than ever before.’ Todd let out a sigh.
‘Dad, you can only do your best. How does this include me?’ Ryan questioned.
‘Mr Gibson and Mr Young are the other members of this committee. I haven’t told you before but you remember the afternoon Mr Gibson and Mrs Gibson came to the camp awhile back?’ Todd explained. Ryan nodded his head. ‘Mr Gibson wanted you to divine for water on Mr Young’s properties. I instantly said ‘No!’’
‘Why would Mr Gibson want me to divine for water?’ Ryan asked.
‘Mrs Gibson told Mr Gibson how you find underground water.’ Todd continued. ‘I told Mr Gibson I didn’t want you exploited.’
‘What’s ex-ploit-ed, or that word you said, mean?’ Ryan asked.
‘Used by other people. You’re only ten years old. You wouldn’t understand. People use other people for different reasons. We didn’t want this to happen to you. Your mother and I agreed you are too young to work with older men to be used for their gain.’ Todd hoped he explained his thoughts clear enough so Ryan would understand.
‘What do you think Mom?’ Ryan asked.
‘I agree with your father. I didn’t want you exploited either. You’re only ten years old. Either of us don’t understand how you can use this forky stick to discover water. We didn’t want you thrown to the wolves.’ Melinda explained in her own words.
‘I don’t understand what both of you are saying. I’ve never seen wolves out here, only dingoes. I’m almost eleven years old. When I’m walking around pointing this fork to the ground my mind lights up with delight when water is below the surface. I’m really excited each time the fork bends. Doesn’t matter how strong I try to pull back on the fork but bends more until almost twists from my hands. I don’t think you need to worry about me plus that word you used. I love finding water.’ Ryan stopped explaining.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 40:

Chapter 6

At the hotel, earlier that day everything came together once Todd explained to Joe and Nat his plans of ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’. Todd acknowledged three were sufficient members to control these plans deciding to allow Ryan to become diviner in the project. This way he kept an eye on how Ryan progress through the ordeal of working with men; also, harshness of the countryside. Tough on a ten-year-old lad.
‘I haven’t made my mind up yet about becoming a member of this committee Todd.’ Joe expressed. ‘I’ll need to speak with Hannah before I commit myself to the job.’
Nate interjected. ‘Grow some balls Joe. Don’t worry about Hannah. This is far too important a project to not become involved. Do you realise this committee will go down in Australian history? Our names will live on forever?’
Joe took another swallow of his drink thinking about Nat’s words. In the past he never committed himself to anything unless he passed the idea by Hannah first. Nat’s idea of ‘growing balls’ didn’t sit comfortable in his mind. His thoughts; indecision on how he came across with Todd and Nat.
‘Right! I’ll grow some balls. Be on this committee. Like you said Nat our names will go down in Australian history.’ They shook hands. Nat left for more beers.
With three agreeing to form ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ they decided to return to Joe’s place to tell their wives of their decision. Swallowing the final beers from their tumblers they bid farewell to Alex walked to Joe’s home.
‘We’re home Hannah.’ Joe called walking up the back stairs into the house. The three women sat around the kitchen table sipping tea chatting.
Joe walked to Hannah kissed her on the cheek. ‘We had a good wake for Ma. I think she would’ve enjoyed her day looking down from above.’ Joe hiccupped.
‘What kept you so long. You couldn’t join us.’ Martha looked directly at Nat. ‘I suppose you all want a cuppa.’
‘Not for us thank you Mrs Young.’ Todd said. ‘We’ll need to return to camp before dark. Pleased to meet you. Look forward to working with you both.’
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:08 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 41:

‘Todd. Call me Martha.’ She said scrapping her chair back to farewell their guests. ‘Melinda, wonderful to meet you. Don’t become a stranger.’ She gave Melinda a kiss on the cheek.
They left.
‘What did Todd mean looking forward to working with you both?’ Hannah asked Joe. She gazed directly at her father.
‘Hannah, we always speak about everything before we make a decision. Todd has asked your father and I to be on ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’. Now, before you start, I wanted to speak with you first about this BIG decision but your father told me to grow some balls. I agreed to work with them both on this committee. I hope you understand.’ Joe explained, his sheepish look waiting for Hannah’s response.
‘Agree! Of course, I agree. The most important men in my life on the committee to discover water in this outback God forsaken country. You have balls Joe. Don’t let my father tell you otherwise.’ Hannah smiled placed her arms around Joe’s neck kissed him on the lips.
‘We better head off also. I want to be home before dark.’ Nat shook Joe’s hand. ‘Catch up with you at home.’ Both cuddled Hannah and left.
After their guests departed Hannah said to Joe. ‘I’ll make our dinner shortly but first explain this ‘Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ which you thought you didn’t have the balls to be a part of.’ Hannah placed her hand into Joe’s hand led him to the front veranda where they sat on the swing.
‘Todd received a letter from Joe Ryan who is now a member of Parliament. Joe requested I be on the ‘Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ headed by Todd.’ Joe explained.
‘What’s this about growing balls.’
‘Your father said those words after I told them I needed to speak with you first. Hannah, I can’t believe how important this is to outback Queensland. Todd has given Ryan permission to be the water diviner.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:29 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 42:

‘Didn’t take him long to change his mind about Ryan.’ Hannah expressed. ‘Who’s going to exploit him now. His own father.’ She raised an eye brow.
‘This is an opportunity I never thought possible. Imagine boring for water out here especially now we’re going through the greatest drought in Australian history, ‘Great Australian Drought’. Without water, we’re all dead.’ Joe explained.
Next morning after they finished breakfast Joe said, ‘I’m off to the blacksmith to ask if he’s finished the delver tongue.’
‘Can I expect you for morning smoko?’ Hannah asked.
‘Probably. Depending on how long I’m with the blacksmith. I’ll try to be back in time.’ Joe rose from his chair, placed his battered hat on his head started walking toward the rear door.
‘I’ll cook some scones. Like Ma used to make. Don’t be long. What about a kiss good-bye?’
Joe returned to his wife, wrapped his arms around her shoulders kissed her on the lips. ‘Will that do until I return.’ Smiling he left the kitchen.
Hannah prepared the mixture for the scones, stoked the stove to cook them. She remembered how Ma cooked scones but her scones never turned out the same as Ma’s because she didn’t have the secret recipe. Hannah’s scones cooked moist crumbly not like Ma’s scones soft tasty. She tried her best. Whatever she cooked pleased Joe.
Joe’s visit to the blacksmith proved fruitful because not only had he completed the tongue for the delver but exactly how Joe had in his mind’s eye. After thanking the blacksmith paid him for his services returned home to the sweet aroma of cooked scones.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 43:

‘These scones are as good if not better than Ma used to bake.’ Joe told his wife whose smile flashed across his face.
‘I tried something new. Pleased you like them.’
‘I need to return to ‘Tilbaroo Station’. I want to try out this delver tongue the blacksmith made. The idea I have is to dig a bore drain from our bore to Moonjaree Creek. If water flows from the bore head into the creek, will be sufficient water to keep the sheep alive.’ Joe explained to Hannah.
‘Can I come too?’ She didn’t want to miss out on a trip to their property.
‘If we leave shortly after smoko we’ll arrive in enough time to set up camp before dark. How long before you return to school?’ Joe asked.
‘Another week. I took the time off for Ma’s funeral.’
‘A week should do. I’ll take enough harness for both horses to plough the delver. I need to find strong thick branches from a gidgee tree. This is pure trial and error. My idea will work. I’ve got everything up here.’ Joe pointed to his temple while eating another scone.
Preparing for their trip Hannah packed sufficient food for seven day’s absence. They crossed the Warrego River heading toward their property. Joe’s mind filled to capacity with ideas to move water from under the ground to flow into dry creek beds. The natural flow of water through each creek bed would provide sufficient water to keep their stock from dying of thirst. Without water, they’d die.
‘Joe, wonderful to be home again.’ Hannah’s mind relaxed, a tingle passed through her body. ‘Can we make camp near the bore this time instead of near the burnt-out homestead?’ Hannah asked nearing the front gate.
‘Yes, whatever your heart desires my love.’ Stopping Joker, Joe climbed down from the sulky to open the front gate. After passing onto the property refastened the gate drove to the point under the huge gumtree near the bore. Before dark prepared their accommodation of the tent they lived in during their honeymoon.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:18 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 44:

‘My wish. To stay here forever.’ Hannah smiled.
‘One day we will. I promise.’ Joe commenced building a fire. Sunset glowed across the horizon sending the sun below for another day. A fire blazed to throw sufficient light for Hannah to cook their dinner. Hannah started to sing, her sweet voice flooded the landscape. Joe sat on a nearby log listening to the words his wife echoed through the bush. His life couldn’t be better. After washing their dishes, they retired to bed totally exhausted looking forward to a week on their property doing what they want to do enjoy one another’s company.
Sunrise the following morning Joe prepared his day. First to cook Hannah breakfast leave her sleep. This past week mourning the passing of Ma, preparing her funeral, attending the wake now being involved with one of the greatest discoveries of far western Queensland to be on a committee of ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ had taken its toll. How life has improved, thought Joe.
Hannah joined her husband at the fire. ‘You’re up early Joe. Wet the bed.’ She rubbed sleep from her eyes.
‘You’ve beaten me again. I wanted to serve you breakfast in bed.’ Joe continued with the cooking. ‘Take up a stump. Your breakfast will be ready in a jiffy.’ Hannah leaned across kissed Joe on the lips.
‘I’m the luckiest woman alive to have a husband as good as you Joseph Gibson’. Hannah found a seat on a nearby log to wait for her breakfast.
‘I’m the lucky one.’ Joe told her handed the enamel plate filled with delicious bacon and eggs plus johnny cake. Odour vaporised through her nostrils.
After making tea they sat side by side listening to the call of the kookaburra laughing perched on a nearby branch of the gum tree. A slight breeze flowed throw their camp.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 45:

‘Isn’t this delightful, Joe?’ Hannah smiled, looked across at her husband.
‘Life couldn’t be better Hannah.’ Joe finished his breakfast stood up.
‘I’ll clear the dishes. You go ahead. Do your thingy. Leave the house work to me.’ Hannah quickly took Joe’s plate and mug.
‘Alright. Do you want to come with me when I choose the timber I’m looking for?’ Joe asked handing Hannah his pannikin.
‘No. You go because I’ve got a lot of catching up to do with my work. I love being here in the quiet doing whatever I want. The peace quiet on our place Joe.’
‘I mightn’t be back until after midday depending on how quickly I find what I’m looking for.’
‘Everything’s okay.’ Hannah smiled. ‘I’ll have a go to try cook a damper in the camp oven.’ Hannah rose from her seat kissed Joe on the lips started to clean the camp area. Her smile told Joe he need not worry because Hannah believed she was at a comfortable place in her life. Why wouldn’t she be because Joe possessed the same comfort.
Throwing the axe over his shoulder he looked about for a suitable gidgee tree to select the right shape of branch to make the delver, also a yoke to hold the horses together to pull the delver. His plan cemented in his mind. His eyes roved from one gidgee tree to another looking for the correct branches to cut.
Joe walked across a paddock of gidgee trees arriving next to a huge tree taller than most. His eyes focused onto a twisted branch in the shape of a fork. This is the one I want. Paring away smaller branches with his axe he cut into the base of the tree. Once on the ground Joe cut off branches to finally have the section of tree he required. Trimming this portion of tree shelling the bark finally his wish came true in the shape he desired.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter