• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:49 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 55:

'No one will ever find out Martha. In future I'll need to make certain you keep to non-alcoholic drinks. Leave drinking the hard stuff to me.' Julia giggled.
'Julia. I must apologise. Perhaps its time I went home. I've ruined your evening. I'm so sorry.' Martha pleaded.
'Martha. Don't worry. We'll be together for the next six weeks following our husbands on SS Australian leaving Brisbane tomorrow at two o'clock in the afternoon. I want you as my companion. I'll remember not to make you drink alcohol.' Julia explained taking another glass of drink from the waiter.
'I didn't realise we were leaving tomorrow. I'd better be getting home to pack. Thank you for a wonderful evening Julia. We are friends.' Martha stated kissed Julia on her cheek.
Julia spoke with a waiter to pass a message onto Nat. His wife was ready to leave. The waiter rushed off toward the ballroom. Julia stayed with Martha until Nat appeared before them.
'Is everything okay Martha. The times not twelve o'clock yet.' Nat smiled.
'Nat. Do you realise our ship leaves at two o'clock tomorrow afternoon?' Martha questioned her husband.
'Yes. Our trip will take about fifty days. You've found a friend Martha.' Nat questioned looking at Julia.
'Julia and I are now friends Nat. I want to go home to pack. Please.' Martha commanded.
'Give me a couple of moments to say farewell to Joseph and Sir Samuel.' Nat walked away leaving Martha to ponder if this journey was beneficial to her. She didn't want to stay on her own at 'Kahmoo Station' nor annoy Hannah by staying in Cunnamulla.
Nat returned with Joseph and Sir Samuel Griffiths. Sir Samuel looked at his wife. 'You have had a good night my dear?' His response made Julie sit more upright continued to drink her drink.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/758644.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:43 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 56:

'I'll arrange for your transport home.' Joseph waved to his driver to indicate his guests were ready to leave.
Nat and Martha bid farewell to their new found friends telling them they'll meet them on the ship. 'I'll arrange for my driver to be at your home by midday tomorrow. This will give you both time to overcome your activities tonight.' Joseph stated.
'I'll meet you on the ship tomorrow Julia.' Martha said who started to look the worse for wear after her drinking. Julia waved. Stood erect beside her husband who shook his head to show little interest in his wife.

Chapter 8

Arriving at the dock Martha smiled to bid farewell to George and Gloria, giving both a hug before walking up the gang plank to board this huge ship. Their first sea voyage. Standing on the top deck Nat and Martha stood by the railing waving goodbye to their parents.
Building up steam the whistle blew to signify SS Australian about to depart. Frantic waving from the passengers until the ship sailed along the Brisbane River entering the bay onwards to the ocean heading south to Melbourne. To break the journey the ship stopped a couple of days in Sydney when passengers departed whilst others joined the ship.
'A beautiful day for sailing.' Martha recognized a female voice. She turned to find Julia with Sir Samuel Griffiths beside them.
'Hello Julia, Sir Samuel.' Martha said with a smile in her voice. Julia's condition looked to Martha as if Julia hadn't drank any alcohol the night before.
'Would you join us inside for refreshments?' Sir Samuel asked. Martha and Nat nodded to join their friends accompied them inside the ship. 'Wine for Julia; beer for Joe. What would you like Martha?' Sir Samuel asked.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/758644.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:29 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 57:

'A cup-of-tea would be delightful Sir Samuel.' Martha replied.
'Would you do me a favour please Martha. Call me Sam or Samuel which ever name you prefer. People call me Sir Samuel all of the time. At times I wish I never accepted that damn knighthood.' Sam requested.
'I wanted to show respect for your title.' Martha answered. 'Isn't right to call you by your first name. I have difficulty saying Julia instead of Lady Griffiths.' Martha explained.
'Let me make a deal with you. If you're happy to call Julia by her name, then by all means I accept Sam or Samuel for my name. Would this be better?' Sam questioned. With a nod of her head, she agreed. 'This also goes for you Nat.' Nat nodded in acknowledgement.
Cordial conversation between the four took place until Samuel asked Nat to accompany him to a room on the ship to discuss their tactics when they arrived in Melbourne. Both ladies excused themselves to settle on a couple of comfortable deck chairs. A slight breeze swept past.
'Have you sailed before Martha?' Julia asked her friend.
'This is my maiden voyage. What about yourself. I imagine you've sailed all over the world with your husband's work.' Martha asked Julia.
'Yes. We've done our fair share. Since Samuel has been Premier of Queensland we haven't sailed as often. His present work to help draw up 'The Constitution' for the Commonwealth to make Australia a nation has taken much of his time.' Julia wanted to tell Martha everything. Her frustration at being left alone for long lengths of time gave her an excuse to drink; which put her mind at rest.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 58:

'Nat runs nine properties where we come from. He's away most of the time through shearing season. Time flies by because I keep myself busy. Have done for years.' Martha explained.
Martha continued to tell her friend about their properties, 'Kahmoo Station' where she'd lived all of her married life. She explained their assocation with The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, M.L.A., sharing he was once engaged to be married to their daughter Hannah until 'The Great Shearers Strike of 1891'.
'After all that I think. Time for a drink. Would you like another cup-of-tea?' Julia asked.
'Yes, please. You having your usual.' Martha commented.
Julia smiled, beckoned the waiter to their chairs. 'A cup-of-tea for each of us please.' She asked the waiter. Looked at Martha whose mouth opened. 'Close your mouth Martha flies might swam in.' Julia concluded.
After drinking their refreshments Julia said, 'I may need to stick with this drink of yours. Makes me refreshed.'

Nat and Samuel shared ideas about what should be in 'The Constitution'.
'Nat. What is your opinion of the aborigine?' Samuel asked.
'From where I come from I have a great respect for the aborigine.' Nat went on to explain his association with Keith, Daisy, Desi, Little Daisy. How Keith works full-time for Queensland Railway Department as a fettler. How Keith arranged relatives to work on his properties cutting mulga for the sheep during the worst drought in living history. Nat's pride showed through for his friend Keith when he spoke of Desi, how he helped build the bore drains on his properties at the tender age of eleven years old.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 59:

'Your opinion quite strong where the aboriginal is concerned.' Samuel asked.
'Yes. They lived on this land many thousands of years before we came along.'
'We can't include them into 'The Constitution'.' Samuel stated.
'Why not! They're entitled to be included as much as any white person.' Nat's blood pressure rose thinking about Keith and his family who were entitled to being a part of this new Australia than himself.
'What skills have they to improve our nation?' Samuel asked a question.
'Many. They own this land having settled here many thousands of years ago.' Nat believed to include the Indigenous people in this important document otherwise how would aboriginal people be recognised as being part of this new nation.
'I'm sorry Nat. Your concerns are rare. You are the only person who spoke on behalf of the Indigenous people. Knowing the other members of the committee I doubt they would be interesting as you may be.' Samuel admitted.
'Samuel, I'll leave you alone to digest my thoughts. You are the only person who can include the Indigenous people in this important document. I'll take my leave.' Nat rose left the room. His anger rising. Nat needed to leave otherwise he may lose his temper with Samuel which he didn't want.

Later when all four gathered in the restaurant for their evening meal Nat's attitude hadn't changed. He didn't want to burn his bridges with Samuel. His opinion counted because why would The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, M.L.A. ask him to accompany Sir Samuel and his wife to Melbourne.
'Have you discussed our talk with the ladies Nat?' Samuel asked after being seated.
'No. I haven't.' Nat replied as calm as possible.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 60:

'Shall I explain? Or would you prefer?' Samuel asked.
'You mean I can speak my mind.' Nat queried.
'By all means. Better off your chest now. These ladies may agree with your thoughts.' Samuel stated.
'Samuel is writing 'The Constitution' for our nation to become Australia.' Nat stated.
'What Nat is trying to explain is The Founding Fathers have been drafting a document over the past decade for all Australians to follow once we are a nation. In July this year this document is to be delivered to England for clarification before Australia is named as part of the Commonwealth.' Samuel continued. 'Nat impressed upon me Indigenous people should be included in this document. What are your thoughts?' Samuel waited for his companions response.
'May I put my tuppence worth in?' Martha asked.
'By all means. Go ahead. I'm happy to listen to any suggestions.' Samuel replied.
'Nat and I have Indigenous friends. Keith and Daisy Whiteman, including their children Desi and Little Daisy.' Martha took a breath. 'I'm guilty for not accepting these wonderful people when I first met them. Since we've been friends I've come to not only enjoy their company, more to enjoy Daisy's cooking of goanna, plus other bush foods.' Martha took a breath.
'You ate goanna.' Julia stated. Astonished by Martha's remarks about her aboriginal friend.
'Yes. A little like chicken.' Replied Martha.
'May I ask you both an important question?' Samuel asked more relaxed to accept their opinion.
Both nodded.
'What would Keith, his wife plus children add to our nation?' Samuel finished his last word when Nat jumped up from his seat, stared at Samuel.
'What can they add to our nation?' Nat bellowed almost embarrassing himself. 'Do you understand how these people lived before being herded up like sheep taken to reserves?' Nat directed his question direct to Samuel standing over Samuel to impress his message.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 61:

'Sit down Nat. I didn't mean to alarm you.' Nat sat down. Samuel continued. 'You mean when Queensland Government passed The Aboriginal Protection and Restriction of the Sale of Opion Act 1897 which granted power to 'Protector of Aboriginals' to remove aborigines; keep them on any reserve in the district.' Samuel concluded as if reading the Act from a book.
'Yes.' Nat said. 'I'll share with you what happened when our friends were herded like sheep taken to a reserve on the outskirts of Cunnamulla.' Nat's anger rose. Spittle spraying from his mouth.
'These are great people Samuel.' Martha stated. 'They lived in a gunya until our friend employed Keith as a railway fettler. Now they live in their own home as a family at Coongoola Railway Siding with other families. White families.' Martha tried in vane to pass her message across to Samuel.
'Again I ask. What can these people do for our nation?' Samuel's attitude changed. Both Martha and Nat realised whatever they tried to impress upon Samuel, their words wouldn't count. They'd met them the night before. Each had the remainder of the journey to change their minds about including Indigenous people onto 'The Constitution'.
After Nat and Martha farewelled their guests to return to their cabin both upset with Samuel's treatment of their friends. Both unable to sleep. 'What are we going to do Nat?' Asked Martha almost in tears. She wanted to help her friends.
'At this stage I haven't got a clue Martha. I've never been in this position before. Like talking to a brick wall. I can't imagine any reason why Samuel couldn't include the rights of Indigenous peoples of this country. They've lived here far longer than we have. What's our Joe going to say. Keith is his friend.' Nat's words exploded from his mouth. 'I need a nightcap otherwise I'll never have any sleep.' Nat finished, rang a bell to summon a waiter. 'Do you want a drink Martha?' He asked waiting for the waiter to arrive.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter