• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer.
ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY.
  • Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun May 21, 2017 10:16 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 98:

Billy shook hands with Desi. ‘Pleased to meet you, young fella. A friend of Ryan’s is a friend of mine. If you don’t mind, I’ll still have smoko. You’re welcome to stay have a yarn.’ Billy concluded with a smile. He gathered small pieces of wood to make a fire.
‘I’ll do that for you Mr Campbell.’ Desi interrupted sprinted to gather small sticks leaves to make a fire.
‘You can leave your friend with me if you want Ryan. I need an off-sider to help me.’ Billy said with a grin.
‘Can I stay with Mr Campbell. Please Mr Young. I’ll do everything he asks.’ Desi pleaded. ‘You don’t mind. Do you Ryan?’ Desi asked.
Nat looked at Ryan who shrugged his shoulders. ‘If you want too. Nothing much you need to do with me. Okay if Desi stays with Mr Campbell to help him with the delving?’ Ryan directed his question to Nat.
‘No problem.’ Nat was relieved because Martha didn’t want Desi in her home. This became a solution to his problems. ‘Okay Ryan we’ll be off then. I’ll drop some things off to you later Billy for Desi. You look after him until then.’ Nat requested.
‘Sure will Nat. We’ll be fine. How long before you two return to school?’ Billy asked.
‘Another week.’ Ryan replied.
‘In that time we’ll have Desi guiding these horses digging trenches. Catch you two later.’ Billy replied to return making his fire to boil the billy.
‘Catch up with you next week Desi after hopefully finding water for Mr Young.’ Ryan replied jumping upon the seat next to Nat.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Cash on hand: 0.00
Have thanks: 892 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Mon May 22, 2017 10:37 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 99:

Chapter 14

Desi remained working with Billy delving a bore drain across paddocks for the remainder of the week. By the end Desi drove the horses behind the delver calling to each one by name guiding them through soil making a deep drain for the water to flow.
‘Thank you for teaching me about these horses Mr Campbell. I love working with horses.’ He told Billy when they were about to stop for lunch.
‘I’m pleased you love this job because after Ryan discovers water throughout this country someone will be needed to make these bore drains to water stock.’ Billy laughed.
Desi kept silent, his mind created a vision to be the one person to drive the horses dig the drains. His smile wide. ‘Do we stop for lunch Mr Campbell?’ Desi asked.
Billy gave his approval to stop, unharness the horses while they boil the billy to have lunch. He made mutton sandwiches for each of them after breakfast. They’d camped beside the boredrain after Nat dropped clothes plus a swag for Desi. Desi loved this life working on the property.
‘How old are you Desi?’ Billy asked while enjoying lunch.
‘Have no idea. How old Ryan?’ Desi asked.
‘Eleven, I think.’
‘I eleven then.’
‘You like school?’ Billy inquired.
‘Alright. Ryan teach me read write. Good teacher. Mrs Gibson good teacher too. I like her.’ Desi answered taking a sip of tea.
‘I wish I would’ve went to school. They teach you to read and write?’ Billy’s question a little embarrassed to share his life with an eleven-year-old aboriginal boy who he only met less than a week before.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 100:

‘Ryan teach me about letters to learn. Twenty-six. He says these letters form words. That’s all I need to learn. Ryan smart.’ Desi admitted. ‘Why didn’t you learn to read write Mr Campbell?’ Desi asked.
‘I worked with my father. He never learned to read or write so what was good for him, was good enough for me. I now wish I learnt how to read and write.’ Billy explained.
‘Ryan teach you. He good teacher.’ Desi raised the question.
‘Too bloody old for learning to read and write. Can’t teach an ole dog new tricks.’ Billy finished his sandwich and tea. ‘Sleep. You talk too much.’ Billy leaned against a log, pulled his hat over his eyes, soon snores echoed telling Desi he was asleep.
Desi sat beside another log thinking about Mr Campbell’s words. If Mr Meston hadn’t found his family camped on the Paroo River taken them to Cunnamulla, he probably wouldn’t learn how to read or write. His family most important people to Desi. Many things he learned from his father, uncles, grandfather other members of his tribe. Not reading or writing, before sleep overtook him.
After the sun moved across the sky Billy woke which startled Desi. ‘Come on we’ve got more delving to do.’ Billy rose stamped out the fire covered the burnt coals with dirt. By this time Desi ran to collect the horses harness them to the delver. He continued delving the drain toward the western end of the paddock.
Late in the afternoon Billy called Desi to stop unharness the horses. He prepared dinner whilst Desi prepared the night camp. Each swag set away from the main dining area with logs used for seating. Billy cooked potatoes plus unions in the camp oven. Nat left sufficient salted meat to last a week.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed May 24, 2017 10:46 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 101:

Billy handed Desi a plate of food. ‘You must be hungry with all the work you did today. You’re a good worker Desi.’ Billy complimented his aboriginal friend. Desi nodded his head too busy eating his dinner. After dinner, he washed the dishes in a pan, dried them.
‘You want a mug of tea Mr Campbell?’ Desi asked filling the billy with water to boil.
‘Sure do. Actually, I’ve been thinking about what you said at lunchtime. If you learn how to read and write. You’ll be the first aboriginal to do so. Ever think about the possibilities you’ll have.’ Billy expressed a little excitement shudder through his body thinking to motivate this young aboriginal person to become someone in the world.
‘No idea Mr Campbell. I educated. My peoples Kunja people educate me in aboriginal ways. My peoples been in this country for thousands of years. Cunnamulla in our language means long stretch of water? My peoples been hunting fishing here since Dreamtime.’ Desi couldn’t believe him sharing this information with Mr Campbell. At that moment, a light bulb illuminated in Desi’s mind showing him years older standing beside Ryan well dressed in modern clothing. Suddenly the bulb dulled. ‘I’ll think about what you said. Become first aboriginal to read write.’ Desi pondered.
Shortly after daybreak the next morning Desi and Billy while having breakfast horses approached their camp. Ryan riding Buttons, Joe riding Joker stopped, riders dismounted.
‘Tie these over on that tree, will you Ryan. Thanks.’ Joe handing the reins of his horse to Ryan. ‘How’s everything going Billy, Desi? Got a spare mug of tea.’ Joe sat next to Desi.
‘Sure have.’ Billy rose from his seat called out to Ryan, ‘you want mug of tea Ryan?’
‘No thanks Mr Campbell. Just finished breakfast.’ Ryan called back joined the others.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 102:
Billy handed Joe a mug of tea returned to his seat. ‘How’d you go Ryan. Find more water?’ Billy asked.
‘Sure did Mr Campbell. We built a stack of sticks for you. On the northern end of ‘Moonjaree Station’. How’re you going Desi?’ Ryan sat next to his friend.
‘Good. Learn to delve drain.’ Desi replied.
‘Time to return you fellows to Cunnamulla. You right Billy without Desi. Anyway, another bore to dig over at ‘Moonjaree Station’. Peter Grieg can’t wait to find out if you find water.’ Joe explained.
Billy said to Desi. ‘Thank you Desi. You’ve been a great help. I’m sure Joe’ll have more work for you.’ Billy gave a nod of acceptance to Joe.
‘He did well. Did he?’ Joe asked.
‘Desi’s a born delver operator. Great with the horses. Called them all by name. Ryan finds water, I bore for water Desi makes the boredrain. You have the right people for the job Joe. What’d think?’ Billy expressed with a smile.
‘We have a great team Billy. Sad, they need to return to Cunnamulla to attend school.’ Joe finished drinking, threw the dregs from his mug on the ground. ‘You ready Desi. Ride behind Ryan.’ Joe rose from his seat farewelled Billy, walked to where Joker was tied, unfastened him, mounted waited for Ryan and Desi to follow. ‘Catch up with you in a couple of days Billy over on ‘Moonjaree Station’. They rode off.
‘Thanks Mr Campbell. Hope to come again soon.’ Desi called sitting behind Ryan on Buttons. ‘Thanks for everything.’ His words faded in the breeze.
After bidding farewell to Nat and Martha, Joe harnessed Joker to the sulky to drive the two boys to town for their schooling. ‘I’ll be in town a couple of days after I drop these boys off.’ Joe shouted when he clicked Joker to move.
They waved until the sulky faded in the distance. ‘You still don’t like Ryan’s friend. Do you?’ Nat said turned to walk toward the veranda.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT UNTIL 3RD JUNE 2017. CATCH UP WITH YOU ALL ON MY RETURN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT. MUCH APPRECIATED.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
Rating: 11.11%
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:31 pm

Thank you dub. I'm back: here is the post for today: 'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 103:

‘Sorry Nat. I suppose he is a good friend to Ryan. I’ll try.’ Martha replied following her husband.
Joe dropped Desi off at his camp before taking Ryan to Cunnamulla. Since they left, the railway line ended in Cunnamulla. Todd and Melinda now lived in a new home in Cunnamulla near the end of the railway line. Queensland Railway Department built a home for the Chief Engineer and his family to live in whilst the construction of the Cunnamulla Railway Station being constructed.
‘Where’re you taking me Joe?’ Ryan asked when they entered the township rather than drive around the skirting.
‘Your parents now live in town. Your father has finished the rail line into Cunnamulla. The department built them a new house. I’ve never seen your mother so happy since she moved into her new home. Hannah has helped with the move including purchase of furniture.’ Joe explained.
‘Do I have my own bedroom?’ Cried Ryan in delight.
‘I imagine so.’ Joe continued on until he come to a brand new built home at the end of the railway line. ‘Look Ryan. Your mother’s standing on the front veranda.’ Joe stopped the sulky near the house. Ryan jumped down ran to his mother wrapped his arms around her.
‘Welcome home Ryan to your new home. Are you coming in Joe?’ Melinda shouted to Joe who stayed with his sulky.
‘I’d better be getting home to the missus. Been away too long. Catch up with you later Ryan. Thanks again for your help in finding water on ‘Moonjaree Station’. Say hi to Todd. Tell him I’ll talk with him before I leave town.’ Joe clicked Joker toward home.
Ryan’s excitement to live in town; have his own bedroom, overwhelmed him. ‘Mom. My own bedroom. Can’t wait.’ He said with a smile deep down he couldn’t have been happier than to have his own bedroom.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
Rating: 11.11%
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Thank you dub. Much appreciated. Page for today: 'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 104:

‘Sure. Through this way.’ Melinda led the way from the veranda down a hallway to Ryan’s bedroom. ‘Your own bedroom. I’ll leave you unpack.’ She left Ryan alone.
Through dinner Todd asked Ryan if he found water on ‘Moonjaree Station’.
‘Mr Campbell is going next week to start boring where I divined in the far western paddock. I walked for days until the fork bent toward the spot. Mr Grieg and I placed sticks on the spot. Mr Grieg couldn’t believe I found water with a fork stick.’ Ryan explained excited to explain his find to his father.
‘Never mind Mr Grieg. Your father has never understood how you have this so called ‘gift’. No matter what I think, finding water in this part of the world is important for the future. I’m pleased you have this gift. Never let anyone tell you different’. Todd smiled to show how proud of his son’s achievements at the same time ruffled his son’s hair to show endearment of his love.
‘Can I ask you something Dad?’ Ryan asked.
‘Certainly.’ Todd puzzled by his son’s request.
‘Now the railway line is in the town. When do you start building the Railway Station?’ He asked.
‘Funny you should mention about building the Railway Station. I received in the mail today plans for the construction. Do you want to have a look at them?’ Todd asked.
‘Yes. Please.’ Ryan asked in an excited voice.
‘Wait until we finish dinner, wash-up, then I’ll show you.’ Todd explained.
After finishing their chores Todd retrieved the plans from his office spread them on the kitchen table pointing to a platform station. ‘I don’t understand why they need to build something so small. Cunnamulla is at the end of the western line needs to show how important the town is growing. I’ve got to October 1898 to finish this project.’ Todd explained.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:55 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 105:

Ryan’s eyes widened at the sight of the plans. ‘How will you build this. Looks like a lot of work.’ Ryan asked.
‘Material is being transported here by rail in the next couple of weeks. Two gangs to be accompanying the material. They’ll do all the construction whilst I keep an eye on the progress to make certain everything is finished by October next year.’ Todd explained to his son.
‘Wish you luck Dad.’ Ryan finished.
‘I don’t think I’ll need luck son. The station is smallest one I’ve seen. Won’t take long with two gangs to build one this small.’ Todd looked desponded.
Joe arrived home to a warm welcome from Hannah. ‘I missed you.’ Hannah said when she placed her arms around Joe’s neck kissed him on the lips. Hannah so pleased to have her Joe living again under the same roof, to cook him meals, sit on the front swing after dinner at night discussing their plans for the future. This particular night Joe wanted to discuss the building of their home on ‘Tilbaroo Station’
‘Now the shearing is done for another year I want to ask your father if I can have the rest of the year off to build our home at ‘Tilbaroo Station’ to celebrate Christmas in the home on our property. What’d think?’ Joe explained.
Hannah immediately wrapped her arms around her husband’s neck, kissed him on the lips, ‘I love you so very much Joe Gibson. Tell Pa you’re having the remainder of the year off to build our home. He’ll agree or have me to deal with.’ A stern feature on her face showed Hannah’s ability she had her father wrapped around her little finger.
‘Okay, when I return. I’ll ask him. I’m so pleased with those two boys, Ryan and Desi. Wish school didn’t interrupt what I’m doing. Love them to help me build our home.’ Joe inquired.
‘Not possible. Perhaps after school is finished they can help.’
‘I think your father will have them working on his properties. Desi is handy driving the delver with the team of horses whilst Ryan, he finds water. Time for bed. Plenty to do tomorrow.’ Joe took his wife’s hand, led her to their bedroom.
Once Todd sighted the latest bore after Billy Campbell found water he recorded the details in a report to the Brisbane office for recording purposes. Peter Grieg went with Todd to the bore to show him the location.
‘You must be proud of your son for this gift he has to find water. I can’t tell you how happy we are of his achievements. Without water. Well, I don’t need to tell you what’d happen in this part of the country. He’s saved us in this terrible drought.’ Peter explained.
‘You don’t need to preach to the converted because honestly Peter, I have no idea how he finds water with that bloody forky stick. When we built the railway line from Charleville he found water at each camp along the track. Out here in the bush Ryan’s gift is a mystery to me and many others.’ Todd explained.
‘Mystery or not. He’s got something.’ Peter finished.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 106:

Chapter 15

Nat approved Joe have six months off work to build his home on ‘Tilbaroo Station’. In his generosity, he provided on full wages, same two men who helped Joe extend the shearing sheds on the properties. Joe couldn’t have been happier with Nat’s generosity especially allowing his men to help. In six months, Joe would have his home completed ready for Christmas 1897.
With sufficient timber on ‘Tilbaroo Station’ Joe his two workers cut timber into lengths similar to when he built Hannah’s home. Dragging them to the site near the bore his plan to replicate the home they lived in Cunnamulla. Joe attended to each piece of timber to ensure the accuracy and standard in the building. They worked from before daybreak until the sun disappeared over the horizon.
Six months went by in a flash. Hannah’s home finished, ready for inspection. On the final week before Christmas Joe bought Hannah to inspect their new home on ‘Tilbaroo Station’. Before entering the front gate, he blindfolded her so she’d be surprised when first sighting her new home.
‘Is this necessary.’ Hannah pleaded.
‘Yes. I want your first sight of the house to be a surprise.’ Joe told her.
Joe drove Joker onward stopping outside the house. ‘Hold on while I unfasten the blindfold.’
‘Joe.’ Hannah cried. Wrapped her arms around his neck. ‘This is beautiful. Thank you. Thank you, thank you.’ She released her hold. ‘Are you going to show me through our new home?’ Joe stood beside her to help her down. They walked to the front stairs hand in hand. ‘You’ve even put a swing on the front veranda. I love our new home Joe.’ Tears filled her eyes.
‘Pleased you do. If you’re happy. I’m happy. Second time around I didn’t make the mistakes I made on the first. Come inside, something I want to show you.’ Joe took Hannah by the hand, opened the front door. Lifting her up with his powerful arms, carried her across the threshold of their new home. ‘Welcome.’ He placed her feet onto the floor led her inside to the kitchen. ‘We needed to take the old stove from the burnt-out homestead. After a good clean everything worked. What do you think?’ Joe asked.
Hannah’s eyes went directly to a shiny stove reminding her of the one she had at her home in Cunnamulla. ‘As long as the stove cooks Christmas Dinner.’ Hannah ran her hand along the shiny metal noticing how clean the surface gleaned. ‘I can’t wait to have my parents plus our friends for Christmas Dinner. Seated around the kitchen table enjoying ourselves in our new home. I love you so much Joe. Thank you.’ They kissed hugged.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:03 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 107:

‘You said ‘my parents and our friends’. Who did you mean?’ Joe asked.
‘Ah, Mother, Pa, Todd, Melinda, Ryan, Daisy, Little Daisy, Desi, Keith whose returned from his walkabout. Anyone else you’d like to invite?’ Hannah expressed in a confident voice.
‘Do they realise they are all invited?’ Joe inquired.
‘Not yet. I’m certain they’ll all agree when I ask them.’ Hannah smiled, swung her arms around with glee. ‘I can’t wait to show them our new home.’ Hannah’s happiness flowed off onto Joe.
‘Hannah. Not sufficient room in the kitchen for all of these people. Our dining table isn’t large enough for a start. I’ll build a bigger one, plus seats.’ Joe tried to explain.
‘What about we have our Christmas Dinner under the gumtree where we had our first lunch.’ Hannah explained.
Joe thought for a moment. ‘Yes, I think that’d be okay. With the help of Ryan, Desi I’m certain we’ll have everything ready by Christmas Day. We have one week.’ Joe expressed. Tension leaving his body.
After everyone agreed to join them at ‘Tilbaroo Station’ for Christmas Dinner, Joe with the help of Ryan, Todd, Desi, Keith helped build a suitable table with stools for their gathering on Christmas Day.
‘I absolutely love here Joe.’ Todd expressed after they completed the task. ‘Fresh air with no worries. Can’t wait for Christmas Day. How about you Keith. Have you any work in mind?’ Todd asked.
‘None. Settle into town life. Not used sit around all day.’ Since Keith returned from his walkabout he met Daisy’s friends thanked them for looking after her during his absence. His surprise on how Daisy’s life changed from when they lived on the banks of the Paroo River. Life simple back then but with drought, difficulty hunting for kangaroo, Keith’s decision to return to live with his family bared fruit.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:00 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 108:

‘Now the railway line is through to Cunnamulla positions for fettlers along the line. I can almost promise you a job. Presently fettler huts being built at Coongoola. What’d you think?’ Todd asked.
‘Big move for me family. What would I do?’ Keith asked confused.
‘To make certain dogs are fastened properly to the railway track to keep in place.’ Todd explained.
‘Why would dogs be tired to the railway line?’ Keith frowned. He didn’t understand.
‘Dogs are not dingoes or other dogs. They are steel pegs hammered into wooden sleepers to hold the railway track in place. If any dogs came loose, the line would move causing an accident. Sorry. I didn’t explain myself.’
‘How many men work. In case something happens?’ Keith asked.
‘Six to a gang. You’d be one of six.’
‘If you say so. Trust you Todd. Suppose I better be used to this way of life. Not used to wearing trousers shirt. Only wear lap lap, no shoes. Boots, feet hurt.’ Keith twisted his feet inside his boots. His clothes boots supplied by Todd shortly after Keith returned from his walkabout.
‘Have a talk with Daisy. I’ll make arrangements for you and your family to move into the first fettler hut built at Coongoola Siding if she agrees.’ Todd explained.
‘Don’t need to talk with Daisy. I make decision. I work for you Todd.’ Both shook hands to seal the deal.
‘I’ll make the arrangements. At least you’ll be paid a wage.’ Todd said.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:00 am

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 109:
‘Nothing about money. Daisy look after money after we come to town. Mr Meston explained money to Daisy. She keeps money.’ Keith didn’t want anything to do with money.
‘I’ll explain your wages to Melinda. She will work out with Daisy what to do. We’d better finish this table and chairs before Christmas otherwise we’ll be sitting on the ground.’ Todd smiled.
By the end of the day a huge long wooden table finished placed under the gum tree. Four stools either side of the table, two on either end. Everything looked perfect.
Christmas morning Hannah rose early to start cooking. By early morning first guests arrived.
‘Merry Christmas Mother, Pa.’ Hannah greeted her parents when they stopped at the front of the house.
‘This place is beautiful.’ Martha looked at her daughter’s new home. She wrapped her arms around her daughter’s shoulders. ‘Merry Christmas to you too.’
‘Merry Christmas to you both. I’ll take care of your horse Nat.’ Joe arrived to greet his parents-in-law.
‘I’ll give you a hand. You did a great job here Joe. Congratulations.’ Joe unharnessed the horse letting him graze by the trees. ‘Can I ask you a question Joe?’ Nat asked.
‘Of course you can Nat.’ Joe surprised by his father-in-law’s request.
‘Is your aboriginal friends coming to Christmas Dinner?’ Nat asked in a soft voice.
‘Of course they are. Keith, Daisy, Desi, little Daisy. Why?’ Joe couldn’t understand why Nat asked the question.
‘This is embarrassing. Martha can’t understand why we need to mix with aboriginals. I’ve tried to tell her they are the same as we are but she wouldn’t understand.’ Nat tried to explain without causing embarrassment to his wife.
‘I’m sorry Martha doesn’t accept aboriginals. They have been in this country long before we white people have been.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:25 am

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 110:

Keith understands more about our country than anyone I’ve met. He’s now working on the railway thanks to Todd employing him settled his family into a fettler hut rather than living in their gunya down by the creek. Sorry about Martha’s beliefs but honestly Nat for Hannah’s sake can you speak with her so she understands they are our friends.’ Joe finished, his blood pressure rising. Today being his wedding anniversary plus Christmas Day he didn’t want any problems. He wanted the day to be joyful, relaxing.
‘I’ll have a word with her. Now what about a cuppa.’ Nat finished embarrassed about Martha’s misunderstanding of aboriginal people.
Whilst enjoying a cuppa Joe walked to the front veranda. ‘They’re here.’ Joe called to the others. Todd driving the sulky, Melinda, Ryan seated beside him. Keith, Daisy, Desi, Little Daisy in the back seat all waving as Todd stopped the sulky near the house.
‘Look what we got for Christmas Dinner.’ Called Ryan excited to show Joe. He lifted a goanna into the air with both arms. ‘Mr Whiteman and Desi killed the goanna on the way out here. Said we’re going to eat him for Christmas Dinner.’ Ryan jumped down from the sulky holding onto the dead goanna to show Joe.
Martha stood on the front veranda watching Ryan display the goanna to Joe. A huge smile of elation on his face. She placed her hand to her mouth to stop a scream. ‘I can’t do this.’ She cried. ‘Nat take me home please!’ She returned inside of the house. Nat followed her.
‘Martha. For crying out aloud, a goanna for Pete’s sake. You’ve seen plenty of them since you’ve lived in the bush.’ Nat tried to explain to his wife now seated at the kitchen table sobbing.
‘Yes.’ She sobbed. ‘I’ve never eaten one.’ Martha’s sobs lessened. She wiped her eyes.
‘You’re not the only one here Martha.’ Nat said in a stern voice to show his wife he meant business to behave herself in front of guests. She met Desi but never met his parents or sister. ‘These people are friends of Joe and Hannah. Show them respect you would if they were your friends.’ Nat left his wife to greet his friends.
‘They’ll never be my friends.’ Martha muttered to herself wiping tears from her eyes. She stood, rearranged her dress walked to the front veranda.
‘Mother. I’d like you to meet Daisy, Keith, Little Daisy. You already met Desi.’ Hannah introduced her friends to her mother.
Daisy stepped forward held out her hand, ‘I’m so pleased to meet you Mrs Young. Hannah and Desi have told me so much about you. Thank you for looking after my boy when he was at your place with young Ryan.’ Martha looked like a stunned mullet, her mouth opened. She didn’t want to shake Daisy’s hand but thought of Nat’s words - ‘These people are friends of Joe and Hannah. Show them respect you would if they were your friends.’. Martha shook hands with Daisy.
‘Can I build the fire to cook the goanna?’ Asked Ryan still holding the goanna.
‘I’ll be right with you. Show you what to do. Lovely to meet you Mrs Young. I’ll show these boys how to cook a goanna.’ Daisy smiled, returned to Ryan and Desi to help build a fire.
‘I’ll give you a hand.’ Hannah said excused herself from her mother walked with Daisy a short distance.
‘Put the goanna down here Ryan. Desi, help Ryan gather wood to build a fire. We cook this goanna in no time.’ Daisy commanded.
‘Can I show Ryan how I rub two sticks together to make fire?’ Desi asked his mother.
‘If you like. Don’t show off. Your father can help.’ Daisy finished.
‘What can I do?’ Hannah asked.
‘Just be here with me. I’ll show you how to cook a goanna.’ Daisy told Hannah. ‘I think your mother needs her space.’
‘Daisy. I’m so embarrassed about my mother. Try not to worry. Takes time for her to understand everything. Her mood will change. I hope.’ Hannah reassured her friend.
‘I certainly hope so Hannah.’ Daisy lay the goanna out straight on the ground. ‘Should be enough for all of us.’ She laughed. ‘We’re aboriginal Hannah. I’ve never been so happy with the help you and Melinda have given me since we settled in Cunnamulla. I’m truly blessed to have friends like you both. Melinda has taught me about money now Keith working. Our home is different to live in since all I’ve ever lived in is a gunya. Cleaning floors, washing clothes, cooking on a stove. Everything so different. But good. You and Melinda are my closest friends. Thank you.’ They both embraced. Martha stood on the front veranda in sight of her daughter hugging Daisy.
In no time Desi and Ryan had a roaring fire. Desi showed Ryan how to rub two sticks together to make a fire, aboriginal way of making fire.
‘You’re clever starting a fire rubbing two sticks together Desi. Can you show me how to do this one day?’ Ryan’s eyes almost popped from his head when Desi placed a stick on the ground surrounded by leaves. Placed a pointed stick into a hole of the first. Using both hands rotated the stick back forth in the hole to cause friction steadily blowing on the join until a fire began.
‘How you boys?’ Keith walked beside them. ‘Good job Desi. You finally learned how to light a fire with sticks.’ His father confessed proud his son used the aboriginal way to light a fire.
With the fire now roaring into life the boys stood back placing more sticks onto the roaring flames.
‘Let the fire settle boys. Wait for the coals. I’ll throw the goanna onto the coals to cook. Won’t take long.’ Daisy interrupted. Daisy cleaned the goanna before placing the reptile onto the coals to cook. ‘Should be done in about fifteen minutes.’ She told Hannah.
‘We better set the table for Christmas Dinner.’ Hannah expressed to her friend.
They joined the others at the newly made table and stools. Hannah placed table cloths along the table. Set knives, forks, spoons at each place. She placed the children at one end with the adults along each side. Nat sat at the head of the table.
By the time the goanna taken up by Daisy placed on the table everything else in readiness to celebrate Christmas Dinner. Hannah asked her father to open celebrations with grace.
‘Dear Father in Heaven, bless this food we are about to partake. Bless our friends, family gathered around this table especially our new friends. Merry Christmas everyone.’ Nat shook hands with Todd, Keith, Joe. Kissed the women and children to wish them his greetings for Christmas.
Martha hesitated to wish her aboriginal friends a Merry Christmas however relented when her husband gave her an evil look. She wrapped her arms around Daisy whispered, ‘I’m sorry.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:02 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 111:

Chapter 16

By the end of the day after everyone left, Joe and Hannah sat on their swing holding hands. ‘Happy Anniversary’. Joe muttered to Hannah. Both totally exhausted, relieved their Christmas celebration went off so well.
‘Happy Anniversary to you also.’ Hannah replied. ‘This has been the best year of my life.’ She replied with delight. A huge smile spread across her face.
‘After today, who would’ve thought your mother and Daisy become friends?’ Joe placed his arms around Hannah, kissed her on the lips hugged her. ‘I’m the luckiest person in the world to have you as my wife. I love you Hannah Gibson with all my heart and soul.’
‘I love you Joseph Gibson. Always.’ Hannah kissed her husband. Her heart swelled with love for her husband and best friend.
‘Eating the goanna went over well. Don’t you think?’ Joe admitted. ‘A bit like chicken. Hard to tell the difference.’ Joe smiled visualising Daisy digging her fingers under the skin of the goanna, tearing away flesh place portions onto plates for the gathering to eat. Total surprise when Martha placed a small portion on her fork, raised the portion to her nose, sniffed, placed the portion into her mouth. She devoured the remainder from her fork asked for more.
‘Yes. Everyone loved our Christmas Dinner. Wonder what’ll happen next year.’ Hannah finished. Her eyes closed. She leaned against Joe’s shoulder. Sleep overtook her thoughts. Joe stood, lifted his wife into his strong arms carried her to their bedroom. Taking her shoes off he folded the covers back from the bed placed her under the covers.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:06 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 112:

‘Have a good sleep, my love.’ Joe muttered returning to the swing on the front veranda. Relaxed pondered his thoughts about the day’s events. Ryan couldn’t have been happier when he received a pocket knife from Santa Claus. Desi’s face broke into a huge smile opening his present showing he received a similar gift, different colour.
Santa Claus didn’t forget the others either giving them useful presents. Keith asked Joe who Santa Claus was? Once Joe explained the theory around his mid-night visitor Keith understood thanked Joe for his present. Everyone enjoyed themselves so much by the end of the day’s festivities no-one wanted to leave. Eventually, all returned to their homes.
With the home finished at ‘Tilbaroo Station’ Joe had time off until beginning of 1898 before starting work with Nat at ‘Kahmoo Station’. Most of the shearing sheds completed with overhead shearing plants, only a couple to finish. Once Joe completed these tasks his plan to build a shearing shed on ‘Tilbaroo Station’. One day he wanted to raise his own sheep. His mind filled with an idea. His eyes closed decided to join his wife in their bed.

Melinda wanted to celebrate the beginning of 1898 New Year at their new home in Cunnamulla. Everyone accepted her invitation. When she spoke with Daisy, Melinda asked about another goanna. Daisy replied, ‘I’ll do better than catch a goanna. We find porcupine. Better eating than goanna.’
Everything began with the gathering of friends at Melinda, Todd, Ryan’s home. A huge fire roared in their back yard. Daisy, Keith, Desi, little Daisy arrived earlier to cook three porcupines they captured near where they lived at Coongoola Railway Siding. Daisy allowed the fire to die down to coals to prepare the animals for cooking. Martha and Nat arrived with Joe and Hannah.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter