• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:56 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 118:

Never before in his life had he been committed to success than he was at the present. He knew in his own mind he had to at least do it for himself and not to blame others for his failures, as he had done so in the past. He had to learn to ‘tell the truth’ about everything, which was difficult for him, because all throughout his life he constantly ‘blew out’ stories to make them more believable, so people would think better thoughts of him.
One of the advantages he possessed was being a good listener. His role as a counsellor enhanced this skill to be honed near to perfection, together with his past skills of problem solving learned as a detective. His job now was to listen to his own self and to solve his own problems. His only concern was sharing his feelings with others.
In the past when sharing his feelings, he had been constantly abused, but recently sharing his feelings with Ada, she made him feel safe and reassured. It was probably the first time in his life when he actually had fun in sharing his thoughts with someone he could trust without being ‘put down’. Being truthful and trustworthy with Ada, didn’t change over night. It was another six years before Ada would completely trust Bundy.
With time, their relationships strengthen and their love blossomed. Bundy felt safe and secure in telling Ada anything he wanted to without feeling insecure. She in turn shared secrets with him knowing completely these secrets were to remain between them and not to be shared by any other person.
‘To thy self be true’ he repeated over in his mind, each time he was tempted to ‘play games’ with people. Or, if he felt he was about to exaggerate, what he was about to say, he remembered his saying, ‘To thy self be true’. If the other person didn’t accept his word, he didn’t worry. He knew he was telling the truth and understood HE was the problem. Over time Bundy’s ‘self confidence’ improved.
To purchase this book: click here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7688:
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1853 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 119:

After three years at the Detoxification Unit he was appointed a counsellor, to a ‘Drug Clinic’ to counsel clients dependent on hard drugs as heroin. It was a different type of counselling. His clients were totally dependent on heroin to live their lives.
Many a client asked him if he’d been a ‘copper’ to which he replied, ‘Yes.’ Asking how they knew - they knew – once a copper always a copper they said. It never worried them that Bundy had been a ‘copper’ because they’d joke how they had robbed banks to get money to buy their drugs. It became accepted to have ex-copper helping junkies.
After a short time at the ‘Drug Clinic’ he was appointed to his own office in the community. After all, this is what he always wanted to do, but he couldn’t have done it any sooner, because he didn’t have the required experience or skills in counselling. He was clearly intoxicated with excitement to have been given an opportunity of working in the community.
Excitement bubbled inside of him, knowing finally his wish had come true, to work in the community to provide a service of alcohol and drug counselling. At the Detoxification Unit it was a controlled place for clients to stay and detox and after completing his apprenticeship at the Detoxification Unit and Drug Clinic this was going to be a different kettle of fish dealing with clients in the community.
o purchase this book: click here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7688:
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 120:

Slowly he gained his self-confidence, by ‘fighting his demons’ especially his role as a ‘rescuer’ and felt personal growth and happy to know he was ready to do a good job. Who would have thought he would become an alcohol and drug counsellor with my own community? He was aware of the tough journey, which lay ahead.
On his first day at his new office, a client he’d counselled at the Detoxification Unit presented. His name Glen who’d been in and out of detox units most of his life and read in the local newspaper Bundy was the first alcohol and drug counsellor for the community and wanted help from Bundy to overcome his alcoholism.
Bundy knew Glen’s concerns with alcohol, which had taken over his life. Glen reassured Bundy he would do anything he wanted of him so he would not be dependent on alcohol again. This appointment was Bundy’s baptism of fire with Glen being his first client.
Glen’s history of alcoholism started early in his life through drinking beer, which progressed onto wine and methylated spirits. Glen, after purchasing his bottle of methylated spirits, walked to the nearest park consuming all of its contents of the bottle he had purchased.
In the past when Glen completed his detox at the Detoxification Unit, he returned home swearing he would never drink alcohol again. A couple of weeks later he presented at the unit once again for detoxification. On several of these detox admissions; Bundy spoke with Glen about his future and his drinking. Glen was a ‘revolving door’ client who were not ready to stop and the ‘penny never dropped’. It became one of Glen’s greatest challenges to stop drinking and was determined to do anything to stop.
SPECIAL NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT UNTIL 27TH OCTOBER 2018. CATCH UP WITH YOU WHEN I RETURN.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Thank you Nevis: Page for today. 'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 121:

He wanted Bundy’s help this time; he was going to do anything to stop his drinking and knew what Bundy himself had gone through to stop drinking alcohol. He’d heard his story during the group sessions at the ‘Detoxification Unit’. His was a different story to Bundy’s, but together they could help one another.
This was Bundy’s opportunity to complete his wishes to counsel clients like Glen in the community after they had completed their detoxification. They spoke about strategies on how he was going to stop drinking and remain sober. It became a challenge. Glen had not had a drink of alcohol since his last discharge from the Detoxification Unit, which was almost a month. Bundy’s initial challenge was to empower Glen to ‘take personal responsibility’ for his own actions.
Glen attended Alcoholics Anonymous, a programme for people who wanted to stop drinking alcohol. It is a twelve-step programme. Whilst Alcoholics Anonymous help many people to overcome their alcohol issues, it didn’t help Glen. Bundy wanted to try something different, which Glen would do for himself.
They spoke about what Glen wanted for himself. He was unhealthy; because of the years of alcohol abuse caused untold damage to his brain, liver and body. He wasn’t able to work giving him many hours of boredom and his family of his wife and children had long left him leaving him alone. He didn’t have any friends only those who he used to drink alcohol with. Now, he didn’t have any friends and rented a caravan at the local caravan park walking everywhere he needed to go.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:34 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 122:

At their initial session Glen spoke about what he’d like to do to stop drinking alcohol. His life was ‘a mess’. For Glen to take personal responsibility for his life, he first had to work out what he actually wanted to do. Their initial session ended by Bundy wanting Glen to decide before their next session, an answer to ‘what he wanted to do for himself?’
In counselling hours, Glen’s programme may take many sessions. Bundy allocated a total of nine sessions for each client. If they, the client hadn’t reached where they wanted to go by then, he referred them to another service. If they couldn’t get what they wanted in nine sessions, and then he couldn’t help them any further.
His next client was totally the reverse to Glen. Peter a young male of twenty-two years of age presented to stop drinking alcohol. He was employed full time and told Bundy he consumed almost twenty-four stubbies of beer per day. After making the proper introductions, Bundy requested from Peter how much in money it was costing him per week to drink alcohol. Peter admitted he was spending about $200.00 per week. ‘$200.00 per week, that’s a lot of money.’
‘I earn plenty.’ Peter replied.
‘That amounts to $10,400.00 a year. You must have plenty of money to waste on alcohol?’ Bundy said.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Thank you dub, Nevis. Page for today:
'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 123:

Peter looked at Bundy with a concerned look and said, ‘When you look at it that way - it is a lot of money I’m wasting. I could buy a new car if I stopped drinking.’
‘Yes, you’re right there - you could.’
Peter stood and stretched his hand to Bundy with an invitation of shaking it saying, ‘thankyou, I know what I’ve got to do now. Thank you again for your help.’ and left the office.
Bundy was in a state of shock. He found the experience of first speaking with Glen, listening to his problem, and then comparing his conversation with Peter, astonishing considering the two different outcomes. Peter immediately identified his problem, to do something about it, when on the other hand it would be a slow hard road for Glen.
Bundy felt a sense of pure exhilaration of what had happened on his first day in the community. He was totally pleased. One of his clients needed an extended time, whilst the other client only needed a brief intervention.
Lorraine, a woman in her forties presented with an alcohol problem. She drank a bottle of wine each night when she was making dinner for her family. After dinner she’d drink another bottle of wine or more until she was totally intoxicated, falling asleep in front of the television. She enjoyed her wine each night, but her drinking was having a huge effect on her husband and children. She didn’t want to stop drinking only wanted to control her drinking.
On Bundy’s suggestion, Lorraine accepted to complete a control chart to record her drinking patterns until their next session. She needed to complete this chart daily indicating the date, time, what type of alcohol drink, how she felt and how much she’d drank. She needed to write this information into the appropriate columns. At her next appointment she’d return the completed chart of your drinking activities for Bundy to examine.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 124:

All was going well as expected for Bundy in his first week of counselling in the community. To his astonishment Glen arrived early for his next appointment. ‘How has your week been Glen?’ Bundy asked when they sat together.
‘I’ve thought about what you told me to think about. I think I know what I want to do.’ Glen replied.
‘What is it you want to do for yourself?’
‘Do you remember in detox, how you ran those sessions talking about alcohol and stories of how you stopped drinking?’ He said.
‘Yes, I do.’
‘I’d like you to do something like you did here. I’ve spoken to a few others who have a problem like mine and they agree to give it a go.’ He said.
Bundy didn’t know what to say. In his mind he was trying to come to terms about Glen’s suggestions. Glen had accomplished so much in only one week. He actually had taken personal responsibility for what he wanted and thought of an idea to do it. What an achievement.
‘Yes, I’ll be pleased to hold a group each week.’ At the same time trying to remain calm and not show his excitement.
‘All, right then, would this Friday afternoon for the first session be okay to start?’ Glen said in an excited voice wanting confinement from Bundy.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter