mzawf.org • View topic - From Fjords to Lochs with 2 Aussies
Login

• Advertisement

From Fjords to Lochs with 2 Aussies

Good Holiday Destinations!
:mz
Forum rules
Write about those good places you visited on holiday.
  • Author
From Fjords to Lochs with 2 Aussies

Postby mzawf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 pm

This year trip takes us on trains, boats, planes and cars!
First stop Amsterdam, we try to avoid the crowds so we travel in early May hoping to see some tulips. We stay in a lovely 5 stars’ hotel in the centre not far from the red light district, too many people even in May!
The sound of wheels from suitcases rolling across the cobbled street is ear splitting and the waft of marijuana is making us a bit high…. I think, or could it be just a sugar high from an over indulgence of chocolate.
Three nights in town, did a lovely canal cruise, nice way to see Amsterdam with commentary.
We caught an organised tour booked from the hotel out to the Kikkenhoff Park to see the tulip festival, the park was beautiful, the surrounding fields of tulips were no more but the park still was full of colour.
Tulips at Kikkenhoff.png
click to enhance images / watch in slideshow :-)

We caught a train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, we booked first class on the train for the security so we could keep an eye on our luggage, all very easy except lugging the suitcases onto and off the train was tricky, rather steep and a huge gap between train and platform. Journey took about an hour on the fast train.

At Rotterdam we jumped on a cruise to the fjords in Norway, only 7 days which is enough for us and with only 1000 passengers, we felt it was the easiest and most relaxing way to see the fjords as in early May the weather could be unpredictable. As it turned out the weather was glorious most of the time. First stop was Eidford, we went on an organised trip from the cruise after spending a day and night sailing on the open sea, not too rocky! We went to the top of a mountain and to my delight it was snowing, so glad I had my down jacket with me! pretty spectacular.

Then we head for Hardanger fjord breathtaking.
Hardanger fjord.png

As usual we are over eating but trying to counteract it by pounding the promenade deck and visits to the gym. A veranda suite on a cruise on the fjords is essential, all day everyday the scenery is spectacular and there always something wonderful to see.

Second stop was Alesund, the history of the town is it was burnt down in the 1930s and has been rebuilt in art deco style, we had a great tour to the local museum, there were Viking boats and historical houses showing how people used to live in this cold climate a few 100 years ago. very interesting and being fans of the TV series “The Vikings” we had a keen interest.
Alesund and our cruise liner.png
We didn’t use the internet on the ship as it was very expensive, so we caught up with the family news at every tourist office as they had free Wi-Fi. We are heading there first to catch up on emails etc. along with many other passengers loitering around the tourist office with the same idea.

Next port of call was the Garinger fjord, quite busy with tourists, one other cruise in the fjord at the same time, would hate to be around in the peak of the season with 4 or 5 cruise
ships docked!
Garinger Fjord.png

Last stop Bergen, did a great walk here, through the forest to the top of the mountain with the most spectacular view, took almost the whole day and only just made it back to the ship on time, they don’t wait for late passengers by the way.

Rotterdam
A wonderful city, interesting harbour side outside museum, great markets.
The highlight of Holland for me was the trip out to the Kinderdykes.
From the city we jumped on a ferry, a 40 minute journey to the windmills, we hired bicycles and cycled around the canals and old windmills. Very flat and easy, so pretty, would be lovely to walk it too. Had a nice simple lunch in a bakery in the village nearby, very warm and a super day.
Windmills at Kinderdikes.png
Fly to Edinburgh.
Lots of people and of course, first stop the castle, its raining as to be expected its Scotland after all! Bought a bottle of water while waiting for it to open at 10 o’clock, in my change was given ‘out of circulation’ Scottish 10-pound note, not knowing accepted it, wasn’t until I tried to spend it I was informed, beware. Also don’t try and spend Scottish money in England. All the statues in the city were wearing orange traffic cones on their heads compliments of a drunken stag party the night before no doubt, amusing.
Edinburgh Castle.png
2nd day in Edinburgh we walked from the city out to see the royal ship Britannica, well worth it, poor Princess Diana must have been pretty disappointed to have to spend her honeymoon on it! So much smaller than I imagined and not very luxurious, there is a restaurant there if you fancy a bite to eat.
Picked up the hire car and heading out to the highlands, had a lunch stop at Blair Castle, nice, beautiful gardens.

Headed to Inverness stayed in a b&b next to the Ness River, if you’re a fan of Outlander the TV series, the sight of the Battle of Culloden is nearby as are the area of the stones.

Next stop Ullapool on Loch Broom, pouring with rain, some beautiful vista as we drive to Loch Maree, where we spend the night in a hunting lodge which desperately needed some renos, but it was a bit better than sleeping in the car! Still raining.View on the way to Loch Maree
View on the way to Loch Maree.png
From there we made our way to Loch Torridon and to Applecross. (The trip to Applecross was quite a detour and upon reflection not worth the effort of the extra millage, spend more time around Torridon if you can). Another few hours drive and then across the bridge to the Isle of Skye, staying at lovely old pub on the water, tasted some local homemade distilled whiskey which was awful, we are not whiskey appreciators.

A visit to the fairy pools is a must, although choccas full of tourists and a bit of a hike, you won’t see any fairies by the way!
The Fairy Pools.png

The isle of Skye is a must stay, dramatic scenery.
A ferry back to the mainland, heading to Glencoe, had a bit of a Faulty Towers moment the ginormous hotel sign had lost its letter T which we discovered had landed on our balcony, not bad for a 4 star!
Fort Williams is a nice place, especially along the locks on the canal where you get a nice view of Ben Nevis. On our way to the district of Sterling via Loch Lomond
Had a nice lunch on the loch. We arrived in the afternoon to Aberfoyle in the Tussocks. This area was amazing, walking is a must. Visited Loch Kathrine which is the main source of fresh water to Glasgow.
The following day we drove to Sterling for a spot of shopping stopping at Lake Menteith, this is the only lake in Scotland and apparently Mary Queen of Scots visited the island in the lake when she was 4 years of age.

This marked the end of our trip to Scotland, so we are off to the south of England stopping off for a pee break at Gretna Green where we took the opportunity to renew our vows. (Only joking!)
[partyanimal.gif]
More from the Two Aussies series arrow Two Aussies in the Dolomites arrow Two Aussies Touring England

Last bumped by mzawf on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 pm.

For this message the author mzawf has received thanks: 2
Nevis, smug
mzawf
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 515 times

Advertisement

Return to Holiday Favs