• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:45 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 95:

Suddenly, Bundy became a person who was looked upon as being of very strong character for ‘giving up the booze’. Many a time other officers, who’d known him during his drinking days, commented how they couldn’t believe a person like Bundy could suddenly stop drinking alcohol after drinking so much of it for so many years.
It was five years since that faithful day on the 13th January 1977 when Bundy had his final drink of alcohol. Ada surprised him one morning by saying to him, ‘you can drink if you want too Bundy. It’s been five years now. I can’t understand why you just can’t be a social drinker. I have one now and then but I don’t need to drink the whole full bottle.’
‘Unfortunately I do when I start drinking. I am an alcoholic.’ Bundy blurted out not realising what he said. It had been the first time in his life he had personally acknowledged to himself that he was an ALCOHOLIC. He totally understood he had no control over alcohol. For him to have control over alcohol was not to have it. Bundy felt relieved he had at last admitted to Ada he was an ALCOHOLIC.
Life for Bundy and Ada became very strong for one another. They were both madly in love with one another, but Ada could not completely trust Bundy he wouldn’t return to his bad old days of drinking. She was always afraid of him returning to those ‘bad old days’ when she didn’t know where he was and didn’t know what time he would be home.
She was still not at peace with herself to again completely trust him. Ada was a good horse trainer; with many wins to her credit through training her thoroughbreds she trained both in the country and city tracks. She and Bundy raced one of their horses in the city running second. Her horse competing so well against the stronger horses from the city overawed her.
To purchase this book: click here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7688:

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 96:

On their journey home Ada said to Bundy, ‘would you mind if I had a drink of beer to celebrate. I’m so excited about how the horse run today I feel like getting drunk.’
Bundy couldn’t believe what Ada was saying, ‘Yes, of course I’ll buy you some beer. It’s strange for you to ask because you don’t normally drink.’
‘This time I want to try it.’ Ada replied in an excited voice. Bundy drove into the liquor store and purchased a large bottle of beer for Ada.
When they arrived home and settled the horse into his stall, Bundy couldn’t fully understand ‘why’ she wanted to drink a bottle of beer? Who was he to argue with the one person who’d saved him from his own self-destruction? Ada drank the whole contents of the bottle.
Bundy readied himself for bed. Hearing noises, as if someone was vomiting onto the lawn out at the back of their house, he went to investigate the noise. It was Ada vomiting from drinking the alcohol. ‘Isn’t this a sight for sore eyes? That’s what I used to do.’ Bundy said to Ada having never seen her in this state of intoxication before, come to bed after you’ve finished.’
He had almost fallen off to sleep when Ada joined him in bed. ‘You sink, get out of here - you smell rotten of grog.’ He said.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:14 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 97: Thank you for your kind thoughts.

‘I put up with you for years when you came home like this. What’s it like to have the boot on the other foot?’ She replied in a slurred voice at the same time lying down beside Bundy wanting to cuddle into him.
‘I suppose I can put up with it just this once. It probably makes up for the many times I did it to you.’ Bundy replied succumbing to Ada’s seductive actions. It was the final time Ada drank alcohol.
Bundy received a promotion in his career, returning them to the city. It was an appropriate time, for their children to attend senior school, providing them with a greater opportunity to improve their standard of education. his career came to a sudden halt because of a medical problem. He was medically discharged from the police force. It was a devastating blow for he was about to gain promotion to senior management.
Following his medical discharge he couldn’t work out ‘what he wanted to do’. He was only forty-two years old, which was far too young for retirement. Much water had flown under the bridge since he first joined the police force some twenty years before.
Ada provided as much support as she could. In her own right she had became a very successful horse trainer. Bundy helped Ada on occasions with her horses, but it wasn’t his ‘cup of tea’. She was the expert with horses. ‘You’ll have to go and get a job.’ She said.
Bundy wasn’t certain what type of work he wanted to do. His career as a Law Enforcement Officer suddenly being halted, together with his constant concerns of his medical condition affecting his heart, placed him in a position of not knowing what he was capable of doing.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:48 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 98:

He’d had a pacemaker implanted and this was the reason ‘why’ he couldn’t continue on with his career in the police force. If he was suddenly injured in the area of the pacemaker, it could cause permanent injury or death, which was very risky.
He answered an advertisement in the newspaper for the position as an ‘Alcohol and Drug Counsellor’. What a joke, he thought working as a counsellor after all of the alcohol he had drank since twelve years of age. It was to be the start of a new career and direction for Bundy.
At the interview Bundy was surprised when he was asked if he’d ever had a problem with alcohol. ‘I’m an alcoholic. I stopped drinking when I was twenty-eight years old and haven’t touched the stuff since.’ He said in disbelief of them wanting to know about his drinking of alcohol, disregarding his service of twenty years as a Law Enforcement Officer.
He was further surprised when told he had the position. Bundy couldn’t believe his luck. All of the training he’d put into becoming an alcoholic had finally paid off to secure a position depending on the amount of alcohol he’d drank.
His life was about to make a turn of a one hundred and eighty-degree turn around. He didn’t realise it at the time, but he would go on and help many people overcome their own problems with alcohol and drugs issues.
It was a whole new beginning. Those years in the police force enabled him to ‘know the law’ this new position in his life made him think there must be a greater force ‘out there’ guiding his destiny. He never imagined the twist of fate placed on him at that very moment. His mind was about to open up to answer many of the questions he’d been searching for since that first drink of alcohol at twelve years of age.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:50 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 99:

After the initial training period, Bundy commenced work in the ‘Detoxification Unit’. All Bundy wanted to do was to learn as much as possible about what he had to do. His first thoughts were of astonishment. Instead of arresting persons for drunkenness and placing them into a cell, he now accepted them as his clients to help them.
Medical staff initially assessed each client. These clients were similar to the same people he previously arrested and placed into cells during his career as a Law Enforcement Officer. He now was caring for them. What a turn around. These people literally staggered into the Detoxification Unit for help. He didn’t recognise any of them for he hadn’t worked on the streets for many years.
So he wouldn’t be identified by any of the clients, Bundy worked with nursing staff and other counsellors on the first floor of the unit, which was an in-patient facility. If by chance he were to be identified as a Law Enforcement Officer by a client who was admitted for detoxication, the grapevine throughout the clients would quickly spread. It was always thought if the clients knew the ‘Detoxification Unit’ employed a ‘Law Enforcement Officer’ there was a chance the police would be informed. However, it never happened.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:59 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 100:

After each client was medically assessed by a doctor, and cared for by a nurse, they were stabilised before proceeding upstairs to level one for a time to ‘detox’ the poison from his or her system. This period of ‘detox’ was between three to seven days depending on the state of intoxication of the client at the time of their admission. Bundy’s role was to assist the nursing staff with making of beds, which he had never done in his life before. He also accompanied clients to the meal room with a nurse, in case one of the clients happened to have a seizure or a fit. This was all new and was personally challenging and worthwhile.
These changes to Bundy’s life were a complete new experience. Until working in a ‘Detoxification Unit’ Bundy had no knowledge of ‘what happened’ to a person when they were completely intoxicated. He never knew the person suffered from ‘withdrawal symptoms’ and never before witnessed a person suffering from delirium tremens (D-T’s). It was a shock when he first witnessed a person having a seizure.
Many a time in the police force, he’d arrested people for ‘drunkenness’ in a public place. The thought reminded him about the time, when he started his role as a detective in the city. He worked on the ‘grave yard’ shift, which was from ten o’clock at night until six o’clock the following morning.
Shortly after starting his shift he was driving a police car and saw a person lying in the gutter outside of a hotel. Stopping the police car near to this person, he got out of the car to place this person into the rear compartment of the car. When he leaned over to take hold of the man, the revolver he was carrying inside of his coat in a shoulder holster, fell out of the holster and landed on the ground next to the man lying in the gutter.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:49 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 101:

Luckily, for Bundy this person was so drunk, he was passed out and didn’t comprehend what was happening to him. Bundy retrieved his gun replacing it into his holster. He drove the drunken man to the watch-house where he charged him, placing him into a cell, until he was sober enough to be released. Bundy had performed this procedure more times than he cared to remember.
After charging the person at the watch-house, he thought no more about what he had done. His only thoughts were, at least the fellow will have a bed for the night. He never understood the ramifications of placing people who was drunk into a cell. He was soon to find out.
How lucky for me to stop drinking at twenty-eight years old, he thought, I would’ve certainly ended up like one of these chaps here had I not stopped drinking alcohol. At least he’d experienced drinking alcohol.
Bundy experienced ‘blackouts’ when he couldn’t remember what happened to the time between eight o’clock and ten o’clock at night while he was drinking alcohol at the hotel. Thinking back to that period, Bundy was in total shock to realise how fortunate he was to stop drinking alcohol at that time of his life. When he now witnessed people suffering a seizure – shaking all over twisting and turning without self control, only to be sedated by medical staff. Some clients convulsed up to a dozen times before their seizure stopped, causing untold damage to their brain.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter