Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Thank you dub, Nevis. Page for today:
'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 123:

Peter looked at Bundy with a concerned look and said, ‘When you look at it that way - it is a lot of money I’m wasting. I could buy a new car if I stopped drinking.’
‘Yes, you’re right there - you could.’
Peter stood and stretched his hand to Bundy with an invitation of shaking it saying, ‘thankyou, I know what I’ve got to do now. Thank you again for your help.’ and left the office.
Bundy was in a state of shock. He found the experience of first speaking with Glen, listening to his problem, and then comparing his conversation with Peter, astonishing considering the two different outcomes. Peter immediately identified his problem, to do something about it, when on the other hand it would be a slow hard road for Glen.
Bundy felt a sense of pure exhilaration of what had happened on his first day in the community. He was totally pleased. One of his clients needed an extended time, whilst the other client only needed a brief intervention.
Lorraine, a woman in her forties presented with an alcohol problem. She drank a bottle of wine each night when she was making dinner for her family. After dinner she’d drink another bottle of wine or more until she was totally intoxicated, falling asleep in front of the television. She enjoyed her wine each night, but her drinking was having a huge effect on her husband and children. She didn’t want to stop drinking only wanted to control her drinking.
On Bundy’s suggestion, Lorraine accepted to complete a control chart to record her drinking patterns until their next session. She needed to complete this chart daily indicating the date, time, what type of alcohol drink, how she felt and how much she’d drank. She needed to write this information into the appropriate columns. At her next appointment she’d return the completed chart of your drinking activities for Bundy to examine.
To purchase this book: click here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7688:
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 124:

All was going well as expected for Bundy in his first week of counselling in the community. To his astonishment Glen arrived early for his next appointment. ‘How has your week been Glen?’ Bundy asked when they sat together.
‘I’ve thought about what you told me to think about. I think I know what I want to do.’ Glen replied.
‘What is it you want to do for yourself?’
‘Do you remember in detox, how you ran those sessions talking about alcohol and stories of how you stopped drinking?’ He said.
‘Yes, I do.’
‘I’d like you to do something like you did here. I’ve spoken to a few others who have a problem like mine and they agree to give it a go.’ He said.
Bundy didn’t know what to say. In his mind he was trying to come to terms about Glen’s suggestions. Glen had accomplished so much in only one week. He actually had taken personal responsibility for what he wanted and thought of an idea to do it. What an achievement.
‘Yes, I’ll be pleased to hold a group each week.’ At the same time trying to remain calm and not show his excitement.
‘All, right then, would this Friday afternoon for the first session be okay to start?’ Glen said in an excited voice wanting confinement from Bundy.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 125:

‘That’ll be great - we’ll have it here at the office.’
‘I’ll be here about three o’clock then.’ Glen replied.
‘I’ll book you in.’ Bundy answered. He felt stunned and numb by what had just happened. His mind tried to compute the details, feelings of satisfaction rushed through his mind. He was realising how great a feeling it was to see people go out and to think up ideas for themselves instead of asking him what they should do. He felt GREAT.
It didn’t take long before Bundy was ‘run off his feet’. Normally, he would counsel four clients in a day and allow one hour per client. He received up to six clients per day, which did not allow much down time to complete paper work. Bundy didn’t worry about the number of clients he received. It was like a dream come true. How often, when he was worked in the ‘Detoxification Unit’, had he visualised this happening in the community? Now it was happening.
Lorraine arrived for her session and looked different to when she first presented at her initial session. She actually looked much brighter, ‘how have you been Lorraine? Bundy asked beckoning her into his office.
‘I followed your chart. Some of the writing is hard to understand. I wrote it when I was drinking or tried the next day to rewrite it but I couldn’t remember what I’d drink. It’s working because each day I feel not wanting to drink as much. It’s like something goes off in my head to stop.’
He read the chart and noticed Lorraine was right about her writing. It didn’t concern him for she had at least ‘had a go’ feeling better about what she was doing, ‘you’ve done a very good job Lorraine. I’m very proud of what you’ve done.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 126:

‘I understand what you’re getting at. Every time I have a drink, I think at the time, I’ve got to fill out the chart and this makes me think about my drinking. I feel much better today than I felt last week.’ She expressed to Bundy.
‘Be careful of the alcohol content in wine, it varies. You will know yourself when you’re drinking too much as you complete the chart.’ Bundy continued.
‘If I continue to complete the chart each time I drink, I think I can control the amount I want to drink. Can I have more of these charts? I think by using the charts I will be better and be in control of my drinking.’ she said.
‘I agree. It’s up to you to do what you want, here are more charts. If you need more, let me know but I think you will be fine.’ Bundy said.
Bill was Bundy’s next client who presented with an alcohol problem. He’d separated from his wife and children because of his drinking and wanted to do something about his drinking of alcohol. He didn’t know what to do. He had a full time job continuing to support his wife and children whilst he lived in a flat near to their home.
They spoke about his drinking history, which showed he had been drinking alcohol for a long time. Bundy explained to Bill about himself being an alcoholic, and was willing to share his life story with him.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:49 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 127:

‘I’m not an alcoholic.’ Bill exploded, ‘I like my drink everyday. It makes me feel relaxed.’ He continued.
‘How much alcohol would you drink each day?’
‘About six stubbies of heavies with a bottle of rum, Bill explained, ‘I get a bit pissed, but I always know, what I’m doing.’
‘That’s far too much alcohol to drink per day if you don’t want to cause damage to your body.’ Bundy explained.
‘You tell me what I’ve got to do then.’ Bill said.
‘Do you have a family doctor?’ Bundy inquired.
‘Yes.’
‘Would you make an appointment and ask him to conduct a liver count, so I can determine if there has been any damage done to your liver? You can ask your doctor to telephone me if he wants too.’ Bundy said.
‘Do you think I’ve got liver damage?’ Inquired Bill showing signs of concern about what Bundy had said.
‘I don’t know, but if you don’t have tests now, it’s better to be sure and certain at this time before we go any further.’ Bundy said.
‘I’ll stop drinking straight away if my liver is damaged.’ Bill said in affirmation.
‘I want to be certain, that’s all.’ Bundy replied.
‘All, right then, I’ll go to the doctor now.’ He replied.
‘Do you think your wife would visit with you at your next session?’ Bundy inquired.
‘Why, does she have to come along? I want to do this myself.’ Bill explained.
‘It just may help with your relationship. That’s all, you think about it.’ Bundy explained.
Bill left the office looking puzzled.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:16 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 128:

CHAPTER 7

He’d come a long way in his life since he stopped drinking alcohol when he was twenty-eight years old. His latest experience was counselling in his own community and felt blessed to be able to spread his word about what he always wanted to do. This was his lifetime opportunity.
It had been a rollercoaster ride for Bundy up until this time. Was he eventually finding a purpose to his life? Sure, he’d experienced so much in his life through drinking alcohol and now walked beside those people who required his help in coping with alcoholism.
He thought about his time when he stopped drinking alcohol, carrying within himself a heavy burden of guilt for many years. It wasn’t until sometime later, until he at last shook off the shackles of doubt, about his own ability to develop his own personal growth.
Although Bundy’s ideals were good, unfortunately they would not work for every client. He wanted to walk beside his clients, along the pathway of discovery, so they too could develop their own personal growth to live a much-enriched lifestyle.
There were many clients who initially presented to him for counselling but declined to do the work for self-improvement. On the other hand the percentage of presented clients, who continued their counselling, reached their self-improvement goals, far outweighed those who didn’t.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:58 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 129:

At three o’clock on the following Friday afternoon Glen arrived at Bundy’s office with four of his friends to form a group. Bundy was beside himself with encouragement. This group didn’t need one-to-one counselling; they wanted to sit together in a group, and share their present lifestyles finding ways to improve their lifestyle. The initial meeting of five people suddenly grew to fifteen people by their fourth session. It became known as the ‘Friday Group’, very informal with no rules to speak of, only one person spoke at one time, allowing everyone in the group to listen. Each person spoke in his or her turn. Discussions in the group ranged from personal stories to ‘what was happening to their dog’.
After a couple of weeks, the group decided to relocate their meeting to a local park. For one member of the group, it was strange when he mentioned the park was the place where they’d previously drank methylated spirits. Since the group first began, each member had not drunk alcohol. They supported one another all through their time away from their group meetings.
Bundy attended each group session, but it was getting to the stage of growth for the group he was no longer needed. He made a suggestion for them to have a barbecue lunch to celebrate his final day with the group. Up until this time, the group had been bonding but never thought of adding a social wing into their group. Most of the members never before experienced a group of this type and were nervous about any changes. Bundy suggested he purchase the meat for their barbeque, whilst each member of the group provides bread rolls and other food to bring to their barbecue lunch.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter