dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Advertisement

Crawley vs Wimbledon

Postby steveizy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Sorry about the late posting... this weekend has been busy.

Crawley 3 Wimbledon 2

Great match. Although Crawley were the better team, we had to come back from being behind twice. Wimbledon opened the scoring when Luke Moore found a gap and beat Kuipers in the 26th minute. Their lead lasted all of eight minutes before Hope Akpan hit an unstoppable low drive. There were a couple of clear penalties for The Reds during the first half but the, otherwise OK, referee missed them. All equal at half-time.

The second half was less than a minute old before Crawley found themselves behind again from a goal by Jack Midson. Crawley remained in charge though and my "man of the match" Sergio Torres soon put us back in the game when he neatly and accurately beat Brown after one of David Hunt's big long throw-ins.

Quite relieved by that lovely goal, it was all even again until Matt Tubbs secured our victory in the 64th minute with a beautiful volley past Brown.

Hope Akpan was sent off in the closing stages for a second yellow. I think he kicked the ball away in derision and the Ref gave him his marching orders!

A great game played on a glorious July evening in front of 3200 odd spectators and, of course, a great atmosphere with our closest rivals in League 2. Both sets of fans engaged in a lot of not so friendly banter, but that is partly the fun and attraction aside from the Football :yes

Now we have a date (Tue 9 Aug.) at Selhurst Park to play Crystal Palace at their place for real after our goalless friendly draw :applause

Can we win this? Yes. We have a big friendly against Premier League QPR tomorrow and they have promised a full-strength squad which will be a test and good experience. If we can do respectably well in this match and again on Saturday when we travel to Stoke to play Port Vale in our League debut then we are capable of anything :banana

I shall be at the QPR match and I'm hoping to go to Selhurst Park on the 9th, but regrettably won't be able to make the Port Vale tie.

Exciting times with the cup and commencement of League football on Saturday....Watch this space :scarf
COME ON YOU REDS!

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
steveizy
Support
Support

Have thanks: 482 times
Highscores: 2

Crawley vs QPR

Postby steveizy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:25 pm

Crawley 2 QPR 4

An entertaining game and the result quite good considering Steve Evans is still experimenting with line ups. He also didn't want to risk injuries to one or two star players. Against a Premier League side we did well.

It was up to Charlie Wassamer to provide both our goals although we did come close a few other times. Shearer looked a bit shaky in goal in the second half and McFadzean looked below par. As usual, our workhorse - Sergio Torres had a good first half and it was a shame to see him substituted in the second. I think Evans was considering injury possibilities and with our first league match coming on Saturday - who can blame him :no

Disappointing crowd of 1415 with 406 being QPR fans. Again this suggests that the club has got the pricing of tickets wrong for the friendlies, either that or there is just not the appetite amongst fans for the friendlies, maybe a bit of both.

That concludes the friendlies and our next match is on Saturday when we travel to Port Vale for our first league game ever. Lets hope we come away with 3 points :mexican
COME ON YOU REDS!
:scarf :crawleyscarf :scarf :reddevils :cheers

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
steveizy
Support
Support

League Two

Postby steveizy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Crawley started our campaign with a slightly unlucky draw against Port Vale. Port Vale 2 Crawley 2

Crawley had the lion's share of the play in the opening part of the game with at least five chances early on. The deadlock was broken after 39 minutes by Tyrone Barnett. Crawley's lead, however, lasted only for a few minutes when a Marc Richards free-kick beat the wall and Shearer. Half-time 1-1.

It was all Crawley again after the break and after 52 minutes Kyle McFadzean headed in what should have been the winning goal. John Dempster was booked twice within 5 minutes - obviously 2 yellows equal a red and Dempster was given his marching orders with some 10 minutes to go. Everyone agrees that this second booking was harsh. Ten man Crawley held on against a Port Vale offensive until the 91st minute when Louis Dodds hammered home a rebound from a Shearer save.

So one point from our first fixture and an away point as well isn't too bad. Crawley started last season with a home loss to Grimsby and went on to win the Blue Square by a record margin, so we need to find our feet and we will do well :yes

Next up at home is Macclesfield on Saturday 13th Aug and I will be at that match. Before then, there is the little matter of dumping Crystal Palace out of The Carling Cup at Selhurst Park on Tuesday :o
COME ON YOU REDS!

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 6
abcdef, dub, gonzo, lal, Mary, zappa
steveizy
Support
Support

Re: League Two

Postby smug » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:20 pm

It' was great to see Crawley Town FC won against the Silkmen (Macclesfield Town) last Saturday 13/08. :scarf
Two goals to nil presumably we get 2 points for that match :scratch
Betting odds were a bit short sided 2/1 for a win :thumbsdown you might have got 20/1 for betting on a four nil win :banana
In my opinion we will see much less of the trouncing scores we saw the :reddevils produce last season with stronger teams to beat :punch
We can still do it (it's in the lap of the gods) :youreds

For this message the author smug has received thanks: 7
abcdef, Djody Pieter, dub, gonzo, lal, Mary, zappa
smug
Support
Support

Have thanks: 129 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Sorry everybody for my absence. Everything has been rather hectic here as the construction of my "Supershed" has been taking all my time! More about the Supershed will follow in another article. Back to football!

Crawley 2 Macclesfield 0

Crawley's first league home match took place last Saturday in front of a disappointingly small crowd at The Broadfield. Macclesfield looked and played rather negatively almost as if they were there for damage limitation rather than play a game of football :thumbsdown Their tactics held us back and the first half ended goalless although Crawley had a few chances. The second half proved better as Crawley pushed forward. Soon the deadlock was broken when Tyrone Barnett put us ahead in the 57th minute. In the 75th minute Wesley Thomas, on as a substitute for Tubbs, sealed our three points. The low crowd of about 2300 hardly made any noise but we came away with our first league victory. Ho Hum.

Crawley 3 Southend 0

This was a stark contrast to the boring Macclesfield match. Reasonable sized crowd of 3220 including 975 away supporters who were initially very vocal made for a great atmosphere. In the first half both teams worked hard but to no avail. HT 0-0. The teams seemed evenly matched.

The second half was what football is all about. Fantastic entertainment from great football. The first Crawley goal was either brilliant or a fluke but it changed the game. Dean Howell sent in what appeared to be a high cross from the left wing to no-one in particular that had their goalkeeper as confused as the crowd. The next I saw of the ball was as it came down into the top corner of the goal (my view was obstructed by the stadium roof) :applause Either Deano had intended to lob the misplaced goalie or a wild cross serendipitously came right. Who knows :lol: A goal is a goal and from that moment Crawley dominated with The Broadfield really buzzing.

Soon after Tubbs and Barnett were both fouled in the penalty area in the same move and the Ref pointed straight to the spot :yes

Tubbs whacked home the penalty to make it 2-0 and to get his first league goal and a few minutes later he grabbed his second when he headed home from another Howell cross.

This win against worthy opposition puts Crawley in second place, albeit only after 3 games, in league 2.

In answer to Bulldog, yes some of the teams we will play will be stronger but some will in actual fact be weaker. There is probably not much difference between the bottom half of League 2 and the top half of the Blue Square Premier. This is illustrated by the Blue Square being a "graveyard" of ex-league sides who cannot get out :banghead

Two wins, one draw, second in the table with a healthy goal difference - I'm happy :yum
COYR!

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 6
51D, dub, gonzo, lal, Mary, zappa
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 am

Torquay 1 Crawley Town 3

Crawley are top of League 2 on goal difference after they outclassed a fancied Torquay at Plainmoor.

Scott Davies opened for The Reds after just 4 minutes with an amazing volley from 25 yards following a rebound from the Torquay wall off a Howell free-kick. The first half was all Crawley and the score could easily been 4! Just before HT, Charlie Wassmer headed home from a Davis corner.

The second half started well for The Reds as Josh Simpson headed in from a Howell cross in the 46th minute. Torquay were given a consolation goal when the ball rebounded around in front of Crawley's goal. Charlie Wassmer won the ball and attempted to whack it away only for it to rebound off Mansell and straight into the net :duh This was on one of the few occasions in the whole match where Crawley were under any pressure. Torquay had a bit more of the play after the gift but it didn't last long and Crawley soon took charge and continued to threaten more goals until the whistle.

With Rotherham only managing a draw at Barnet, Crawley move to the top of the table with a goal difference of 7 and 10 points from 4 games. Rotherham and Gillingham also have 10 points but have scored less goals in their wins.

After only 4 games played, it is far too early to make predictions, although this hasn't stopped the bookies and the press, but the season and League football have started well :cheers

Next up is the re-arranged Crystal Palace Carling cup tie at Selhurst Park on Tuesday which we could win on present form :shock: , then away in the League to mid-placed Cheltenham Town on Sat 27th August. Our next home match is against Bristol Rovers on Saturday 3rd Sept.
:scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :mexican :crawleyscarf :reddevils

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 5
abcdef, Djody Pieter, lal, Mary, zappa
steveizy
Support
Support

PreviousNext

Return to CRAWLEY