• Advertisement

Crawley in League 1

Founded 5th century
Borough status 1974

"I Grow and I Rejoice"
  • Author
Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 am

Crawley draw Premier Swansea City in League Cup draw!

OK, I did want an away trip to a big stadium but I'm happy with this!

Swansea who are presently second in the Premier will travel to Broadfield during the week commencing 24th September. Details to be confirmed.

This, on current position, makes Swansea the highest ranking team ever to visit us. Stoke last year in the FA Cup, now this :thunbsup

It will obviously be a big test and a lot will depend on the team they play against us... but on home soil and hopefully good play from us with good support, anything is possible from the mighty Reds!

The match will almost certainly be all ticket, even after the Bolton fiasco. So if you want to come, the advice is to get a ticket as soon as they go on general sale. Once details are known, I will post them here.

The other fixtures from the draw: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19427903

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
steveizy
Support
Support

Have thanks: 482 times
Highscores: 2

Advertisement

Postby dub » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:35 pm

steveizy wrote:Crawley draw Premier Swansea City in League Cup draw!

OK, I did want an away trip to a big stadium but I'm happy with this!

Swansea who are presently second in the Premier will travel to Broadfield during the week commencing 24th September. Details to be confirmed.

This, on current position, makes Swansea the highest ranking team ever to visit us. Stoke last year in the FA Cup, now this :thunbsup

It will obviously be a big test and a lot will depend on the team they play against us... but on home soil and hopefully good play from us with good support, anything is possible from the mighty Reds!

The match will almost certainly be all ticket, even after the Bolton fiasco. So if you want to come, the advice is to get a ticket as soon as they go on general sale. Once details are known, I will post them here.

The other fixtures from the draw: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19427903

Thanks for the update steveizy and for the promise of reminder of when the tickets go on general sale :applause
The Mrs & me will certainly need make sure we are in attendance :yes
Swansea have squad of 39 :-D I imagine that it's normal not to play the first team :scratch Swansea trounced Stoke 2 to Nil in Oct 2011,
and to state the obvious :-D , Stoke stuffed us up !
Back Feb of this year 2 to nil :angry
Swansea are on a roll :notworthy Crawley are on roll :notworthy
I'm going to love this match :yes Come on you reds! :scarf :scarf :scarf
:thunbsup :thunbsup :thunbsup
:mz

For this message the author dub has received thanks:
steveizy
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Swansea match and ticket arrangements

The match will take place on Tues 25th September, k.o. 19:45 at Broadfield Stadium.

Tickets go on general sale on Friday 7th September.

Full details: http://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/artic ... 45035.aspx

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, zuluhotel
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:02 pm

dub wrote:
Thanks for the update steveizy and for the promise of a reminder of when the tickets go on general sale :applause
The Mrs & me will certainly need make sure we are in attendance :yes
Swansea have squad of 39 :-D I imagine that it's normal not to play the first team :scratch Swansea trounced Stoke 2 to Nil in Oct 2011,
and to state the obvious :-D , Stoke stuffed us up !
Back Feb of this year 2 to nil :angry
Swansea are on a roll :notworthy Crawley are on roll :notworthy
I'm going to love this match :yes Come on you reds! :scarf :scarf :scarf
:thunbsup :thunbsup :thunbsup
:mz

Well, they have the dilemma of whether to risk their best players who could get injured and, thus, risk their main objective - success in the Premier, or to field a lesser team and risk an upset :indifferent

They do have a large squad at their disposal, so I see a mix with one or two of their top players on the bench as impact subs if it is going wrong for them! They won't be taking this lightly though and I'm certain that they will pay us a bit of respect by putting out the strongest team they can manage.

If you and Nevis can make it, you'll have a great evening - of that I'm certain!
:reddevils

dub, Nevis
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 am

Crawley 1 Leyton Orient 0

It was back to League football yesterday after the recent excitement of the League cup.

Initially, Orient looked the better team and our keeper was forced to save a shot in the first minute. Gradually Crawley came back into the game as time wore on. The first half ended goalless but with Crawley looking more confident.

The second half was much the same and a lot of hoofball was being played by both teams and not a lot of passing football. This all changed in the 72nd minute when Nicky Ajose put us ahead. :applause The assist on the goal came from débutante Mike Jones who only signed on Friday :applause Three goals in three games for Nicky now! The remaining 20 minutes or so were tense but The Reds were the stronger of the teams with a couple of close attempts.

Three points from this match put us in 4th place in League 1. A good position to be in but early season placings do not really tell us much. The crowd of 3278, including 679 Orient supporters was disappointing again. It is hard to think of ways to get more people through the gates... maybe the town really doesn't have the hunger for League 1 football - dunno why :scratch

Next is our quest in another cup - The Football League Trophy a.k.a. as the Johnstones Paint Trophy when we entertain League 2 Gillingham at Broadfield on Tuesday evening. The previous matches with The Gills last season resulted in one win each, both being away wins. This is not such a high profile competition but will give Richie Barker some game time with his new signings, hopefully to see our strengths and weaknesses. Tickets are only £8.00 for the terrace and a sell-out is extremely unlikely! Full details: http://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/artic ... 25130.aspx

Then, next Sunday, 9th September, Crawley host Portsmouth in the league. This is a local derby and Pompey have already sold out their ticket allocation. Whether we achieve our highest ever gate remains to be seen but indications are good so far The match is being televised live by Sky sports hence the Sunday fixture - for those who can't come.

All in all, a busy time for the club at the moment :scarf

I will report on both games - stay tuned!

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby dub » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:52 pm

steveizy wrote:Crawley 1 Leyton Orient 0

It was back to League football yesterday after the recent excitement of the League cup.

Initially, Orient looked the better team and our keeper was forced to save a shot in the first minute. Gradually Crawley came back into the game as time wore on. The first half ended goalless but with Crawley looking more confident.

The second half was much the same and a lot of hoofball was being played by both teams and not a lot of passing football. This all changed in the 72nd minute when Nicky Ajose put us ahead. :applause The assist on the goal came from débutante Mike Jones who only signed on Friday :applause Three goals in three games for Nicky now! The remaining 20 minutes or so were tense but The Reds were the stronger of the teams with a couple of close attempts.

Three points from this match put us in 4th place in League 1. A good position to be in but early season placings do not really tell us much. The crowd of 3278, including 679 Orient supporters was disappointing again. It is hard to think of ways to get more people through the gates... maybe the town really doesn't have the hunger for League 1 football - dunno why :scratch

Next is our quest in another cup - The Football League Trophy a.k.a. as the Johnstones Paint Trophy when we entertain League 2 Gillingham at Broadfield on Tuesday evening. The previous matches with The Gills last season resulted in one win each, both being away wins. This is not such a high profile competition but will give Richie Barker some game time with his new signings, hopefully to see our strengths and weaknesses. Tickets are only £8.00 for the terrace and a sell-out is extremely unlikely! Full details: http://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/artic ... 25130.aspx

Then, next Sunday, 9th September, Crawley host Portsmouth in the league. This is a local derby and Pompey have already sold out their ticket allocation. Whether we achieve our highest ever gate remains to be seen but indications are good so far The match is being televised live by Sky sports hence the Sunday fixture - for those who can't come.

All in all, a busy time for the club at the moment :scarf

I will report on both games - stay tuned!

hi steveizy
Thanks for the update :thunbsup the fortunes of the :reddevils appears to be going from strength to strength :scarf
The club has had some top results lately and hopefully will continue building on this success :notworthy
The squad at Crawley consists of 26 plus 4 additional players :scratch and Gillingham have a squad of 27 + 3 additional players :scratch
Crawley will need to play a strong team on the night. :scarf
Gillingham who top league two drew 1 -1 at home against Chesterfield in their last match.
Chesterfield (ranked 19, league two) drew one all at Leyton Orient (ranked 23 league one) earlier this year.
We're coming on strong :punch

Ps: :thanks for sorting us out a pair tickets for the match against Swansea to be played later this month :applause
Topman ! :notworthy
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Crawley 3 Gillingham 2

Crawley progress to the next round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after this narrow victory over The Gills at Broadfield.

It was The Gills who opened the scoring when their Bradley Dack headed home at close quarters in the 22nd minute. In the 40th minute, new signing Joe Walsh hit a strong ball from the edge of the box into the top right of their goal :applause 1-1 First goal for Joe - great stuff. HT 1-1 which was a bit flattering to Gillingham.

The second half had only just started when we took the lead from a 47th minute Clarke goal. :applause 2 -1. The lead lasted all of two minutes. Gillingham weren't done yet! In the 49th minute Lewis Montrose levelled things up for The Gills 2-2! In the 86th minute substitute Scott Neilson hit a fantastic long range goal from outside the box straight into the top corner of the net :applause 3-2 Full time.

This was a good match to watch as both teams really wanted to win. Crawley had more chances and more of the play. Not much perfect passing and a fair bit of hoofball from both teams but good entertainment, none the less. It was also a good test for some of the players who haven't had much game time so far this season and the new lads.

The crowd was never going to be huge but the turnout of 1249 which includes about 150 Gills was disappointing considering the low ticket prices.

Next is the all ticket, televised League match against Portsmouth on Sunday. This will might be a big crowd at last.

dub wrote:
hi steveizy
Thanks for the update :thunbsup the fortunes of the :reddevils appears to be going from strength to strength :scarf
The club has had some top results lately and hopefully will continue building on this success :notworthy
The squad at Crawley consists of 26 plus 4 additional players :scratch and Gillingham have a squad of 27 + 3 additional players :scratch
Crawley will need to play a strong team on the night. :scarf
Gillingham who top league two drew 1 -1 at home against Chesterfield in their last match.
Chesterfield (ranked 19, league two) drew one all at Leyton Orient (ranked 23 league one) earlier this year.
We're coming on strong :punch
Ps: :thanks for sorting us out a pair tickets for the match against Swansea to be played later this month :applause
Topman ! :notworthy

My pleasure to be able to get you tickets. The club allowed us season ticket holders 4 each when normally it is one each. Hope this helps us get a record crowd for Swansea. To your other comment, it looks like Richie Barker chose a strong enough team to do the job but as I mentioned, it did allow game time for some of the other players in the squad.

I will report back on the Pompey match which we hope will bring us the points...

dub, wired
steveizy
Support
Support

PreviousNext

Return to CRAWLEY