mzawf.org • View topic - Rons Rambles. Dorset, England.
Login

• Advertisement

Rons Rambles. Dorset, England.

Good Holiday Destinations!
:mz
Forum rules
Write about those good places you visited on holiday.
  • Author

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:48 pm

A thought for Ron Watts on his Birthday :party
:notworthy
Visit...
Ron watts facebook
Come Back and read

Ron Watts and his daily hoofs around the beautiful Dorset countryside.

An enchanting and captivating writer.

"Fast yomp this morning. The rain has gone, and clearing skies foretell a bright day. The village came to life earlier, folks on the way to their work or duties, they do this in a quiet manner and always pass the time of day, the real Dorset people are so kind, doors are left unlocked and in clement weather wide open, this is one of the lowest crime areas in The Western World!! Still I feel like a protector, on my early hoofs, I look out for all, and they would do the same for me. The little river Jordan , which runs through the centre of the ancient village is running full and clear after the recent floods, and rushing tumbling water along the mill race is the loudest sound in the air this am. Silver Street is a joy, houses from the middle ages, still beautiful and opposite the village pond, by the pub, and a natural meeting place. It`s easy to love this place."

Sutton Poyntz.jpg
Sutton Poyntz.jpg (20.01 KiB) Viewed 12545 times

About Ron Watts http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/features/lo ... the_story/
http://www.facebook.com/ron.watts2

For this message the author Ron has received thanks: 5
dub, Luma, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 63 times

Advertisement

Postby Ron » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Half Moon Hoof!
Out good and early, under a surprisingly bright waning crescent moon. The wind in my face, a north wind brisk and cool but not keening and damp underfoot but not icy, good hoofin` conditions. Kept to the main roads non the less, not a soul or bird and animal encountered, past Puddledock a most interesting lane which is sub titled on the sign, "not suitable for vehicles" well in the dark and full of the legendary puddles (more a series of ponds in reality) I gave it a miss! But I promise to take you there after a few dry days, And I have still to introduce you to the "top end" where the village climbs the mountainous bulk of the " back edge" and in a secret spot, you find yourself right back in the bronze age, the dorset Ridgeway is where you stand, be quiet and you will see Deer, wild boar, and other special creatures, and the view!! A panorama of the Jurassic Coast with up to forty miles of amazing coast to admire, dream on , home for breakfast, the day begins. :yum

Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Santa Claus, Hoof.
Very cold this early a.m. but I had a function to perform, to deliver a handful of Christmas cards to my chums in the village, set off under clear skies and dodgy underfoot! So staying on streetlight areas I went about this pleasant task, right at the top of one road where the Hill joins the asphalt, I could not resist a yomp on the field, went to the high point where the hamlet of Winslow once stood, then I looked up! It was the clearest night sky i have ever seen in mainland Britain, I was now above the light pollution, and this was an absolute grand panorama, a trillion stars!!!! This must be in honour of the late great Sir Patrick Moore, a real send off, Bless You Patrick. Now fortified in Soul, I carefully picked my way down, surprised to be greeted by a paper girl, a young Giantess who had been watching my progress up the hill, she inquired about my well being, and, satisfied that I had not blown a mental gasket, bid me "Good Mornin` Ron be careful don`t slip" I bid this to all of you this morning, People are great! :kiss

Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Sort of a late hoof this morning, I have no real reason to own an alarm clock anymore, and with daybreak getting later, natural light coming through the curtains is much later in the a.m. So, in a dulling cold half grey light , I ventured out, a few cars about, but otherwise just one , very frozen looking Man and dog. I was able to see where I was going for a change!! This enabled me to venture into new spots, for a small village there is lots more to find and relate, for instance a tiny lane off Plaisters Lane, which rambled past, old and wonderful cottages, and was along a tiny carrier of the river Jordan, I had never been here before. Then it joined Silver Street, at the back off Hardy`s famous mill, where I took a new detour along side the mill, walking in famous footsteps! This parish once belonged to King Harold, he of the battle of Hastings, so he must also have trod these tiny lanes some 940 years before! I feel humbled, and hungry, so a brisk march home, mornin` you all! :wave

Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 am

The Lights On Hoof.
Up early and out on a mild dry morning. Took a turn at the western fringe of the Parish, over the river bridge, and down a narrow footpath, to a road where the donkeys live, yes it`s the Weymouth Beach Donkeys, and they live in the village, there was no sign of them this morning, but on another visit I will give you all the lowdown! Now by cutting across on another path, still dark I came into the top end, and the lights were on! Christmas lights that is! Being Dorset there were some subtle and artistic offerings. The largest and poshest place in the village a virtual mansion, just had very pleasing banks of tiny blue and silver lights in the shrubs and bushes, top marks, in the cottages down Mission Hall Lane, so far just Christmas trees in the windows, twinkling at the world, passing children of all ages must love this display. Now in the real centre of the village, the real show is on, nothing ostentatious, but loads of wham anyway, how about this on a farm building wall by the pond, a twenty foot tall DUCK!! done in beautiful outline, a work of art! Nothing can top that, only in this place! These folks, just shake your heads! Morning :yes

Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Eventually got out and hoofed, there is a lot of ground water everywhere, the tiny River Jordan is doing a good impersonation of the Thames, running heavy and brown also a tad over the banks in some parts, no domestic flooding yet, thank god, the million pound flood prevention scheme at Fisherbridge Rd is just holding as of yet, more rain due later. I will go that way in the mornin` let you know, bye. :wave

Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:02 pm

As a reformed boozer, I still find old defunct pubs interesting, for all sorts of reasons, their position in the community for one, the little clues, which give away the past, like a hatch door at ground level to give the draymen access to the cellar. In the village I have identified three such buildings, and according to the locals, I was correct, only one has been named so far, The Butcher's Arms. But I will find out the others, given time. The village was very peaceful this Sunday morning, only one person to speak to this mornin` an old chap parking his car in the main street. The X mas lights were mostly still on and lovely, in this most tranquil of all dawns yet, this early hoofin` does me a lot of good, both physically and in mind. Now back to work a book to finish by May! :read

Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Next

Return to Holiday Favs