mzawf.org • View topic - Rons Rambles. Dorset, England.
Login

• Advertisement

Rons Rambles. Dorset, England.

Good Holiday Destinations!
:mz
Forum rules
Write about those good places you visited on holiday.
  • Author

Postby Ron » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 pm

The Up The Works Hoof!!
I was right up the works early this mornin` and I loved it! The Waterworks that is! There is a fine cluster of Victorian buildings, just where the village gives way to the fields that lead to the back edge, this is the water works, run by Wessex Water, which takes water from the ever reliable source of the River Jordan, filters it, and then pumps it to a reservoir on top of a near by hill. This is a wonderful quality of water to have a pure chalk stream , collected at its spring, and ready for use, ain`t we lucky!! This corner of the village is simply fascinating, with an ancient wood yard ( more on that later) and very old cottages, all in a happy little bundle! A place to live, work and love, not to mention prosper too.This is where folks would have built their houses back in the Bronze Age, and they were wise to do so, I do admire this part. Back through the village, the giant Duck in lights was winking at its friends on the duck pond, and I did not see a car or human soul on this hoof, good morning world. :-D

For this message the author Ron has received thanks: 5
dub, Luma, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 63 times

Advertisement

Postby Ron » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:19 am

The Upwey Hoof, took a Hoof to Upwey Station Yesterday, this is the nearest rail link to the village, and goes through some interesting countryside, The Mighty Chalbury Hillfort, for one, the first of the Bronze age Hillforts to be built in Dorzett. The Ramparts are fairly slight now, but the strong local legends persist, one is that if you go to a certain spot at a certain time of day, you will h
ear beautiful music, this near Bincombe Bumps! What names these places have! Got to the Station, to go to Dorchester, she was on the platform, now I`m fairly used to being a centre of attention, goes with the job. But this is something new to me, a kind of female stalker! well I say new it`s been going on since last winter, but not all the time, and never threatening, an example going to post a letter I walk past this lady, she going in the opposite direction , I got a direct neutral stare, fine, went on to post the letter, turned round and she is peeping from behind a hedge , just a few yards away, just one example. Today was quite different, I stood a short distance away on the platform, but when the train come she got in the same carriage, and sat next me in a nearly empty car!! Then she got her nuts out!! gently shook them in their bag! and put them back in her bag, pulled out a Whispa bar, and asked me if I wanted a bit!!!!,Oh my god! (to be continued) :o

For this message the author Ron has received thanks: 4
dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Pouring down with rain, but I don't care! Off out at the usual time, just decided to keep to the better lit areas, might as well get used to it, the weather forecast ahead is for much the same, flooding is predicted. But hey this is Dorset! People were everywhere, walking to work, getting the hounds to trees and lamp posts, all with a dollop of that Dorzett Joviality, which cannot be muted. One older lady was even trying to feed the ducks in the rainy dark, I didn't like to point out to her that the ducks would still be asleep, up at the Under Hill lake. She meant well. The Christmas lights look even better in the wet reflections on the road, welcome to a very damp morn in deepest Wessex. Wettest Hoof Yet. :wave

dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 pm

The wet Hoof (part two) down in Dismal Dorset, up and out, into the great squelch (I don`t mind I nice squelch!) so wet, rain is heavy and constant.
Togged up proper this dark morn, got my fishing attire on, from head to foot. I don`t have anything to report that I haven't told you about before, so really I will tell you why I do it! Three reasons come to mind. Fitness and freshness, I get fitter by the day doing this, with the aid of a new diet I have shifted 18 pounds, and I am now within 3 pounds of my target weight, and 12 days early, so right on track. Being out and active in early fresh wakes one up, and clears one`s mind, it`s away from all the electronic distractions, and I get a natural "burn and buzz". When it is possible I like to investigate new areas and even in a small but ancient village like this there are masses of things to uncover, given time, but the real reason I do this, well it's simple, to stay in touch with myself, and to look both backwards and then forwards, and as I do seem "young" for my years, I have much to do, and this one is for Amy,Top o` the Morning! :duke

dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Had to fit in some more Hoofs today. being Christmas and all, I combined them with other duties, Took a fast hoof, down to the river on a hunch, and found myself breaking into an involuntary run , good grief my body was taking over and giving itself a workout, and it was fluid and easy, so that will have to be added to the routines, got to the riverside at Fisherbridge, and floods everywhere, looking bad with more rain forecast. Some houses just had deep standing water in the gardens,and right up to the doors, sandbags are now being deployed. This at the seasonal peak of festivities, bless them all. will look again before dawn. :xmas

dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:20 pm

The pleasant Hoof.
Out and away, under a sky full of stars, and mild dry walking conditions, soon into my stride, The Jordan was back in it's banks, but the sandbags must stay awhile yet, more rain anticipated, fingers crossed for the riverside homes and families. A few souls out early this morning, a chap who was probably twenty years younger than I was "jogging" well I was walking faster than that, as I overtook him he looked miffed! But all power to him at least he was out there , having a go. Along a piece was a rather nice lady. Walking the dog, she bid me good morning, with a pleasant smile, and I admit to affecting my deepest most sonorous voice to return the compliment, pushing on, a fox bounded across the road, perhaps only thirty yards ahead, straight from one driveway into another and gone. That`s about as eventful as it get's here, although I have been invited to the pub this evening, I said I might go, but I know how these things pan out. After a few pleasantries, the questions will be fired in , they want to hear stuff about Johnny Rotten, Sid Vicious and if I`m lucky Son House and Lowell Folsom, If I feel chippy, I may attend, perhaps! Well breakfast beckons, this hoof is for Sara, her birthday, just two days ago, all of you have a great day. :cake

dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Walked out in dry weather, came back in constant drizzle, the river level is down and that is good news, but for how long? Love that massive Duck, still bright and twinkle , twinkle, not a single soul around this early morn. Back to my past present and perhaps future, coming from a sporting family, it was given that I would participate, and the gentle , patient instruction I had from my Mum`s side... of the family, in soccer and cricket, contrasted with my pa`s dad, the naval officer! I was recruited into his sea cadet`s, and was it rough!! To be issued with over large boxing Gloves at age seven and pushed into a makeshift ring, well it was`nt my idea of a wonderful tuesday evening, I tried my best and got through the ordeal, somehow, but it was back next week for more of the same, I knew that if I told my parents, they would pull me out of the cadets, and I wanted to be part of it, so I did the thing, and fought back hard, and became a sort of mascot, now that was dangerous, I kept getting pushed forward an evil cycle had started. Relate more on the morrow, tip my hat! :duke

What a mornin` Gales, with a bit of rain mixed in, I was joined on this jaunt by a fellow hoofer, and as the bins were emptied this holiday week on a Saturday, we had a chance to marvel at the alcohol imbibed by the good citizens of this Dorzett parish! Bottles galore, ok it is Christmas, only one soul about a lady sorting her rubbish in her nightdress out in her drive! Brave soul, the river levels are now about normal, and we noted it was running much clearer, a good sign! The Boxing? Well it went on for a few more years, but as a grammar school boy, proficient in many sports, and with an array of lovely young maids on my arm, I was a centre of resentment amongst this mad array of young thugs, they particularly hated that my Grandad was a teacher at Eton College, and that I participated in the sport of rowing, at Maidenhead Rowing Club, the two did not mix!! In truth rowing was just as tough as the boxing, but with much better team mates. But I digress, we stomped back to my place in good order, for coffee, Top o` the morning to you all! :thumbsup

For this message the author Ron has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Favs