• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:17 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 53:

‘Have a look at that sunrise Nat. Best time of the day. I’ll cover the women’s breakfast. We’ll head off after I fill the waterbags.’ Nat nodded taking a final mouth full of food.
After catching the horses, they walked to where they left the delver on the opposite side of the bore head. ‘Hope this contraption works?’ Joe said harnessing both horses to the yoke whilst Nat fastened the delver. Joe stood behind the delver while Nat held each bridle on the horses. ‘Git up Joker.’ Joe yelled pushing the delver whilst Nat pulled both horses forward.
Both horses pulled together forcing the tongue of the delver to dig into the surface. Because the ground soft on the edges, the delver dug deeper until Joe held back on the handles to keep the drain at an even depth. Everything appeared to work. Joe guided the delver along whilst Nat guided the horses. Everything appeared to be working without any problems. Joe smiled thought how lucky his idea to be building this drain without many issues. His idea worked first time; a blessing in disguise.
Nearing a fence on the southern boundary Joe unfastened the wires kept the horses going toward Moonjaree Creek about half-a-mile. ‘We’ll give the horses a rest Nat.’ Joe called. They stopped to release the horses give them time to recover. Working since daylight tired each horse. After Joe reconnected the fence allowed the horses to graze they returned to the camp. Mid-day which is hottest part of the day.
‘Good afternoon ladies.’ They both said in unison entering the camp. Odour of fresh cooked damper travelled through their noses, ‘something’s good.’ Joe finished kissed Hannah on the lips before he took two pannikins to fill with tea. Shade under the huge gumtree cooled the atmosphere sufficient for Joe to loosen his shirt buttons on the front. A slight breeze blew through the camp.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:17 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 54:

‘Here Pa Joe.’ Hannah passed them an enamel plate with freshly cooked damper covered by strawberry jam. Both took their plates sat on a nearby log. ‘You were up early this morning both of you. How did you go? Did the delver idea work?’ Hannah asked once they were all seated.
‘Like a dream Hannah.’ Her father replied swallowing a piece of damper. ‘I’ve been thinking Joe. After you’ve finished this drain, I think you go to the blacksmith have him build a proper delver using your idea because after we have bores on all of the properties I want your idea of bore drains to water the stock.’ Nat finished after swallowing his last mouthful of food.
‘Nat, this is just an idea I came up with. If you think bore drains will help your places, by all means. We’ll make a stronger delver. We’ll need stronger horses to pull the delver. I think Clydesdales would do a better job. Their stronger used to ploughing.’ Joe explained.
‘First of all we need to start on drilling the bores for water. After seeing how this one works. Flow of water. Apart from brackish, almost good for drinking.’ Nat finished his cuppa. ‘Martha can I have another piece of tasty damper please.’ He handed his plate to his wife who prepared another piece of damper returned his plate.
‘When I worked here all those years ago I never imagined a bore on this place. We slept under the trees as we’re doing now. The working conditions rough because of no shelter to shear the sheep. We shore them on a sheet of canvas in the middle of the day. I always wondered what happened to this place.’ Joe shared his story with the family.
‘You need not worry about those days any longer my dear. This is our place thanks to my parents plus my marriage to you. I’m certain one day you’ll build a great shearing shed. One of those you built for Pa. We’ll raise our own sheep.’ Hannah leaned over took her husband’s hand with hers smiled.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 55:

Chapter 8

Over the following two days Nat and Joe worked hard dragging the bush made delver behind a couple of station horses. Hard going. Late afternoon on the second day Joe pushed the delver for the final time.
‘This will do Nat. I’ll dig a drain from the bore head to open the drain release water from the bore.’ Joe quickly removed all loose dirt. A whoosh sounded, water cascaded through the opening entered the bore drain. Water flowed freely from the bore along the bore drain in the direction of Moonjaree Creek.
‘Congratulations Joe.’ Nat shouted, grabbed Joe’s hand shook with excitement. ‘You bloody beauty. This works. You’ve succeeded.’
‘Yes, must have been a fluke to think this was going to work the first time.’ Joe smiled. ‘Let’s wait until the water drains down the bore drain to Moonjaree Creek. Shouldn’t take too long with the rate the water’s flowing. In the meantime, a cuppa with a slice of damper sounds good.’
They walked to the camp greeted by the women folk. ‘What about a cuppa with a slice of damper for a couple of weary ole workers.’ Hannah called when both men approached.
‘You’ve read our thoughts. Sounds great.’ Both said in unison, looked at each other smiled.
Joe’s pleasure of delving the drain from the bore head to Moonjaree Creek overflowed to the other three. After a cuppa, all four left the camp to follow the water from the bore down along the bore drain to finally reach Moonjaree Creek.
‘We’ll have plenty of water now Joe.’ Nat smiled. ‘I want these bores on each of my properties. Once they’re finished with water spurting from the ground, we’ll make bore drains through each paddock to water the stock.’ His smile mirrored his excitement. ‘We’ll be saved in the drought.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:50 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 56:

‘Hope we’ll have enough water.’ Joe’s question startled Nat.
‘Course we’ll have enough bloody water. Wait until we have a proper diviner to show us where the water is. Young Ryan Carlson will be worth his weight in gold if he can find water out in these paddocks.’ Nat swept his arm wide to show each location of his properties.
‘I’m satisfied this boredrain has the flow. Looks as if plenty of water deep down. What have we got to lose. Plenty of water in this country will save us from the greatest drought in our history.’ Joe visioned an ocean of water beneath the earth’s surface only needed to be brought to the top.
‘I can’t wait for you to take this bush delver to the blacksmith to make a proper one. Joe, we’ll need to contact Todd start this committee to show him what you’ve done.’ Nat’s excited voice flowed over to prove Joe’s theory worked.
With water flowing from the bore head down along the bore drain into Moonjaree Creek both men couldn’t have been happier. Everything worked like clockwork. After clearing their camp Joe and Hannah returned to Cunnamulla whilst Nat and Martha returned to their home. They arranged to meet in Cunnamulla the following day to speak with Todd about Ryan being the diviner plus to commence the committee for ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin’.
Early the following morning Joe visited the blacksmith who built the tongue for his delver to show him his bush made delver to make a solid replacement. After an inspection, the blacksmith agreed to ‘give anything a go’ promised nothing but at least the bush delver worked. The blacksmith needed to make the delver stronger more workable.
Nat and Martha arrived at lunchtime to join Joe and Hannah.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 57:

‘Joe, I couldn’t stop thinking about the delver you made.’ Nat smiled. ‘All I’ve thought about since seeing the water drain into Moonjaree Creek. A bloody miracle.’
‘You should talk. You kept me awake all night mumbling in your sleep about water, drains, Joe. At one time, I needed to wake you.’ Martha interrupted.
‘I took the bush delver to the blacksmith this morning. He’s going to build a stronger one. We’ll need to look for bigger horses. I’ll have a chat with ole Billy Campbell.’ Joe explained.
‘You go ahead. Do what you have to. What about we ride out to talk with Todd. I haven’t met young Ryan yet. Would love to meet him.’ Nat said.
‘He’ll be at school. A great student, attentive, always ready to learn.’ Hannah finished.
Hannah and Martha washed the dishes. ‘You don’t need us to come along? Say hello to Melinda from us, tell her to visit anytime she wants.’ Martha said to Nat before the two men left to ride to Coongoola Railway Siding.
With the sun at its zenith they didn’t worry about the heat of the sun because they wore broad brim hats. Approaching the end of the railway line the track edging closer toward Cunnamulla since Joe’s previous visit. Todd stood with men working at the end of the line.
‘G’day Todd.’ Joe called to him.
Todd looked up from his work when hearing his name.
‘G’day you two.’ Todd left his work walked toward the two horsemen who dismounted. They shook hands as a friendly greeting. ‘Come in out of this sun. Would you like a drink of water?’ Todd asked.
They all walked inside a tent used as an office by Todd. Todd poured water from a canvas waterbag filled two pannikins handed each one to both men. Joe sipped the water.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:21 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 58:

‘Did Ryan find this water?’ Returning Todd his pannikin after drinking the contents.
‘Yes, we moved camp a week ago. He found water nearby using his thingy-a-bob forky stick. Still can’t work out how Ryan finds water. Must be a gift. I dug a few feet before the water came to the surface. You want to take a seat. I’ll be right with you.’ Todd said walked from the tent. Shortly returned.
‘Okay gentlemen. What can I do for you?’ Todd sat behind his makeshift desk.
‘We’ve got some good news. Joe made a delver, dug a drain from his bore to Moonjaree Creek. When can we start with this committee. I want water on my other properties?’ Nat explained.
‘Before we start I received another letter from The Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA.’ Todd fumbled through papers on his desk. He handed Joe the letter to read.
Joe opened the letter read the contents addressed to Todd. Information in the letter approved the go ahead with the committee. Personal thanks for Joe and Nat being members on the committee. He handed the letter onto Nat. After Nat read the letter returned the letter to Todd.
‘Can I ask a question?’ Todd asked.
‘Depends on the question.’ Joe answered.
‘I can’t connect the dots with you two knowing The Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA.’ Todd asked.
‘Sorry Todd. A long story. I can’t speak for Nat but I have a problem when you refer to Joe Ryan as The Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA. He’s just Joe Ryan to us.’ Joe explained.
‘He is a member of Parliament; should hold him in respect of his office. I’d love you both to tell me how you met him. I’ve never met him, can’t understand why he picked me to be the Chairman of this committee. A lot of responsibility.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:05 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 59:

Todd questioned.
‘What about we tell you how we met Joe Ryan. Why he agreed for us to be on the committee.’ Joe asked.
‘Yes please. We have plenty of time. I’m listening.’ Todd sat silent.
‘Before I start you’ve got to promise you will continue on being the Chairman of this committee not walk away after I tell you about our association with The Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA.’ Joe sneered.
‘Yes. I promise. Now tell me your story. I’m listening.’ Todd quietened while Joe commenced to tell Todd his story of how he first met Joe Ryan shearing at ‘Tilbaroo Station’ in 1890. Joe continued his story about Joe Ryan attending the shearing conference at Bourke in New South Wales. When he got to the part of the story about ‘The Great Shearers Strike of 1891’ Nat interrupted.
‘I’d better tell this part Todd because Joe still doesn’t realise how important his actions to help Joe Ryan at the time. He still doesn’t realise what he did to change everything, including my own family.’ Nat told Todd.
‘I’m actually blown away right now listening to your story of Joe Ryan. He was the leader of ‘The Great Shearers Strike of 1891’. Why didn’t he go to prison with the others?’ Todd asked.
‘Because this Joe took his place. When the police came to arrest Joe Ryan at the shearers strike camp, this Joe swapped clothes went in his place.’ Nat patted Joe on the shoulder. ‘At the time Joe Ryan and my daughter Hannah were engaged to be married. This Joe thought better they ‘move on with their lives’ so he took his place acting as Joe Ryan.’ Nat explained. ‘Can I have another drink of water?’ He asked.
‘Yes, of course. Do you want one Joe?’ He asked. Joe nodded.
After drinking their water Joe continued. ‘When the police arrested me as Joe Ryan they locked me in the cells. I received a visitor. Joe Ryan went to Ma’s boarding house to tell Hannah and Ma about our changing places. Ma told him to leave, never return. Hannah came to visit me to tell the police the truth. I told her to go away, be with Joe, ‘move on with their lives.’ Joe took another sip of water.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter