• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 60:

‘You’re a bloody hero Joe to do this for another person.’ Todd smiled at his friend.
‘Not a hero. More a bloody fool because Joe and Hannah never moved on with their lives. Joe went north to Barcaldine whilst I went to St Helena Island Prison for three and a half years for my troubles.’ Joe explained.
‘Now I understand why The Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA wanted you both on this committee. Makes sense. Tell me this. How did Joe Ryan become a member of Parliament?’ Todd asked.
‘After the thirteen of us were released from St Helena Island Prison we returned to Barcaldine where the actual ‘Great Shearers Strike of 1891’ commenced. You understand about the ‘Tree of Knowledge’?’ Joe asked.
‘Yes, doesn’t everyone. The place where the first Australian Labour Party formed.’ Todd answered.
‘The whole town came out. You couldn’t move, people everywhere. Everyone went over to the pub to celebrate. Joe Ryan came up to me. Whilst I was imprisoned he used my identity including my non-union contract to work in the shearing industry. Pastoralists wouldn’t employ shearers unless they held a non-union contract to work. Joe had mine. He wanted to speak with me about changing back to our original identities.’ Joe continued.
‘I bet you were pissed off when you first laid eyes on him.’ Todd interjected.
‘Actually no. The idea to change places was my idea in the first place. Joe had no knowledge of what I wanted to do. He and Hannah were engaged to be married. I wanted them to move on with their lives. Thinking back now, if I didn’t do what I did when I did, I would never have met Hannah. Never would’ve fallen in love with her to become her husband. I’ve got Joe to thank for bringing us together.’ Joe explained.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:06 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 61:

‘How did Joe become a member of Parliament?’ Todd asked.
‘Before we parted, he gave me enough money to return to Cunnamulla. I told him I wanted to return to Cunnamulla to look up Hannah. He wished me luck. He remained in Barcaldine to help the shearers with their fight for better working conditions and wages. Whilst he continued this fight he became the first elected member of Parliament.’ Joe finished.
‘Now that’s a story I can tell my grandkids. Joe, you are a hero to take the place of this coward who wouldn’t take his punishment. I’m pleased you’re on this committee. You also Nat.’ He shook both their hands in acclamation for their services. ‘I’ll be proud to serve as your Chairman on this committee. Certain we will accomplish everything we set out to do.’ Todd understood the whole story of The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA now out in the open.
‘When can we start this committee?’ Nat asked.
‘What about now. Nothing like the present. Obviously, you both have taken things into your own hands to dig a drain from your bore to Moonjaree Creek. I don’t understand what you’re referring to. Would love to have a look at your work plus your property before we start so I can put our plans into action. I’ll certainly record the bore on both your properties work with you Nat to find water on your other properties.’ Todd explained.
‘When do we start looking for water?’ Nat asked.
‘How about this weekend. Ryan should be free. We can take the day off travel to your property. ‘Kahmoo Station’. I’m not certain where your property is but if you give me directions.’ Todd said.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:56 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 62:
‘I’m about to return to ‘Kahmoo Station’. If you meet Hannah and I at our home, we’ll show you where to go.’ Joe stated.
‘That’s settled then. Any wild pigs on your place Nat?’ Todd asked.
‘Thousands – why?’ Nat amused by Todd’s question.
‘Would you mind if I hunted them with my bow and arrows.’ Todd asked.
‘I don’t mind. Please yourself. You’re welcome to kill them. They’re pests.’ Nat couldn’t understand Todd’s reference to bow and arrows. ‘What’d mean about bow and arrows?’ Nat asked.
‘I’ll explain. Since the first fleet, archery has sported through clubs. No official organisation as yet but I’m certain in years to come archery will be a sport throughout Australia. My father taught me when I was a youngster now I’m training Ryan. A great sport particularly hunting animals like wild pigs.’ Todd explained.
‘Todd, you’re welcome to kill all the wild pigs on any of my properties because like I said they’re a bloody pest. Shoot any dingoes, because without dingoes our lambs will survive.’ Nat said.
‘Okay, everything is settled. We’ll met you and Hannah at your home early Saturday morning, travel to ‘Kahmoo Station’. I’ll have the time of my life hunting wild pigs, dingoes whilst you take good care of Ryan finding water. Sounds great. I can’t wait for Saturday’. Todd said with a smile.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT DURING EASTER. TO ALL MEMBERS I WISH YOU ALL A SAFE AND HAPPY EASTER TO ENJOY WITH FAMILY.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 63:

Chapter 9

Shortly after daybreak on Saturday morning Joe heard the whinny of a horse, sound of sulky wheels against the roadway. Todd, Melinda, Ryan arrived.
‘Good morning all.’ Joe met them when they stopped at the front of his home. ‘Come in for a cuppa before we go.’ They followed him inside. Hannah prepared a cuppa in the kitchen. She rose early before daylight to cook bread.
‘Good morning Melinda, Todd, Ryan.’ Hannah gave Melinda a hug when she entered the kitchen. ‘Take a seat, I’ll have some freshly cooked bread on the table in a jiffy.’
Melinda sat at the table beside Ryan. Todd sat opposite Joe.
Hannah placed plates in front of each person with a bread and butter knife. She placed a tub of butter and jam tin filled with strawberry jam. After slicing the bread, she placed a slice on each plate. ‘I’ll make us a cuppa. What would you prefer Ryan? A glass of milk.’ Hannah asked.
‘Yes, thank you Mrs Gibson. This bread is delicious.’ Ryan said eating into a slice covered in butter thickened with strawberry jam.
‘Freshly cooked. Ma taught me how to cook bread when I lived with her. I still bake in her old stove. This stove was the first thing Joe placed in the house, built the house around the stove.’ Hannah explained slicing more bread handing slices to her guests.
‘I bake in a camp oven. Nothing like cooking in a stove.’ Melinda replied eating into a fresh slice of bread looking sideways at Todd.
‘We better be going before the heat of the day.’ Joe said slurping down the last dregs of tea from his pannikin.
‘How far is ‘Kahmoo Station’ from Cunnamulla?’ Asked Todd.
‘About ten miles. Takes a couple of hours. Mother will have breakfast waiting for us. She normally does.’ Hannah said.
‘I can’t wait to go pig hunting.’ Todd replied. ‘Okay. Let’s hit the road.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 64:

Crossing the old rattly bridge spanning the Warrego River the two parties continued along the Eulo Road toward ‘Kahmoo Station’. With a slight breeze blowing, heat from the morning sun beamed down on their back. They travelled at a medium pace to save the horses. Before leaving Cunnamulla, Joe handed Ryan a hat to wear. He didn’t want Ryan to suffer heat stroke in this arid land. Ryan looked the part of a mini bushman with his hat, trousers, shirt combination, a knife in a leather sheath fastened to his belt.
Arriving at the property Joe stopped his sulky in front of the homestead. Nat waved from the front veranda soon joined by Martha. Both walked to greet their guests. ‘G’day everyone. Welcome.’ Nat called meeting Hannah giving her a hug. ‘How are you Joe?’ Both shook hands. ‘Welcome Todd, Melinda. This must be young Ryan?’ Nat said shaking hands first with Todd then Ryan. ‘You’ve got a good firm handshake Ryan.’
‘Nice to meet you Mr Young.’ Ryan said after shaking hands.
‘Come inside make yourself at home.’ Martha said took Melinda by the arm. ‘Welcome to our home.’ She accompanied Melinda into her home.
Melinda smiled. ‘You have a lovely place.’ She told Martha.
‘I try my best except for this horrible drought. Hard to keep the plants alive.’ Martha replied. Everyone entered the home went to the kitchen. ‘I’ve prepared breakfast. Hope you’re hungry.’ Martha hurried to the stove to lift the frying pan filled with bacon and eggs.
After breakfast with the washing up done, Todd said, ‘Nat, whereabouts do I go pig hunting?’
‘Do you ride a horse?’ Nat asked.
‘Yes, of course. Too far to go on foot?’ Todd questioned.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:39 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 65:

‘Mate, these paddocks are seven-mile-long by three-mile wide. You wouldn’t walk the paddock in two days without a horse.’ Joe commented. He wasn’t certain of Todd’s bushcraft. Only thought of his well-being.
‘Have you a horse I can ride?’ Todd asked.
‘Yes, take your pick in the back paddock. I can give you mine, needs a little work so don’t go too easy on him.’ Nat said.
‘I’ll be off. Can you show me where the horse and saddle is?’ Todd asked Nat.
After Joe caught and bridled Todd’s horse, Todd slung his bow across his shoulders, swung his quiver of arrows across his back mounted the horse. ‘Be back tonight.’ He called galloped off heading west.
‘Hope he has some idea of where he’s going?’ Nat wondered. ‘All he needs to do is to keep the sun on his back until after midday, follow the fence back home with the sun on his back coming home. We’ll find him if he doesn’t return by night fall.’ Nat finished.
‘Okay Ryan, let’s look at what you can do.’ Joe put his arm around Ryan’s shoulder leading him to his sulky. ‘You’re the boss Ryan. Where do you want me to take you? Anywhere in particular?’ Joe asked sweeping his arm across the paddock.
Ryan’s eyes scanned the landscape. ‘I think we’ll head this way.’ He pointed due south-west then boarded the sulky.
‘Where do you want to go first?’ Joe asked frowning. Joe placed his faith in Ryan’s hands believing he would find water.
‘Honestly Mr Gibson, I’m not certain. When I discovered water along the railway track I walked for miles trying to find water. Perhaps if we go to the other end of this paddock. I’ll walk. I need to find a suitable fork stick to use. This one I have here is from a different area.’ Ryan explained.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 66:

‘Call me Joe. I’m intrigued with your knowledge about water divining because of your age. How old are you Ryan?’ Joe asked.
‘Eleven years old. In October, I’ll be eleven. I’m ten at the moment.’ Ryan corrected. ‘Not proper to call you by your first name. My parents taught me to call you by your surname because you are an adult.’
‘Okay. I don’t want to go against your parent’s teachings. I’d prefer you called me Joe when we’re by ourselves. When we’re with your parents call me Mr Gibson if you want. I think whilst we are working together you are entitled to call me Joe. Agreed.’
‘Agreed. Joe. Okay.’ Ryan smiled.
Joe drove toward a clump of mulga trees directed by Ryan. ‘This’ll be far enough. Thank you. I’ll find a suitable fork in amongst this lot of trees.’ Ryan said confidently decamped from the sulky. Taking his knife from the leather sheath fastened to his belt he walked toward the trees casting his eyes from one tree to another. Patience appeared to be uppermost in Ryan’s mind wanting to find the exact fork he needed to find water. His search took time. He walked through a clump of gidgee trees, stopped beside a bushy one, broke off a fork shaped branch began to pare away the bark. Stripping the bark using his knife he skinned the bark making the fork shiny. Once he trimmed the fork to the size he wanted, said. ‘This should do.’
Amazement beamed on Joe’s face to witness a ten-year-old child go about his task with determination plus skill way beyond his years. Joe wondered if Mr Clarke possessed this same ability. Obviously, he did, thought Joe. His knowledge of water divining was nil compared to what Ryan was doing. His knowledge only reading from a book. A term ‘Dowsing’ used to explain divination employed in attempts to locate ground water. His knowledge of how to divine for water compared to Ole Billy Campbell’s attempt boring holes throughout the paddock hoping water spurt from the ground. Ole Billy Campbell’s method of ‘scattergun approach’ didn’t impress Joe.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter