Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 74:

‘Can I help Mr Gibson?’ Ryan asked.
‘If your parents are agreeable. You can help me anytime. In fact, how long before returning to school after the holidays?’ Joe asked Ryan.
‘They’ve got a week before school starts.’ Hannah interrupted.
‘Would you like to stay with Nat, Martha for the next week? Help me round up sheep?’ Joe asked.
Ryan’s smile spread across his face. Turning to his parents he pleaded. ‘Can I Mom. Can I Dad?’ His smiling face showed how much he wanted to stay to help Joe.
They looked at one another. Todd gave a slight nod. Melinda said. ‘Nat and Martha. Is Ryan okay to stay for the remainder of his school holidays?’
‘Absolutely.’ Nat said. A broad smile filled his face. ‘I’ll have ole Billy Campbell out here to bore where Ryan divined for water. No trouble at all. Be a pleasure to have him stay with us.’ Nat concluded.
‘Ryan, you behave for Mr Young and Mrs Young. I don’t want any bad reports.’ Todd explained to Ryan.
‘I’ll be on my best behaviour Dad. I Promise.’ He crossed his heart hugged his parents thanked them for allowing him to stay.
‘Martha, he hasn’t got any clothes.’ Melinda said.
‘Don’t worry about clothes. I’ll wash nightly so he’ll have clean clothes during the day.’ Martha solved the problem.
‘Todd. You never told us how you went yesterday with your hunting.’ Nat asked.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:09 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 75:

‘Apart from getting lost, you mean. Lucky your horse understood how to come home. I could’ve still been lost. I never realised how much bush. Looks the same everywhere.’ Todd, a little embarrassed after admitting he depended on Nat’s horse to find their way home.
‘The horse would find his way home. Is this the first time you’ve been this far west?’ Nat asked.
‘Yes. I’ve never been further than we’ve just been. I never dreamed this country being so dry. Likened to a desert. Those bushy trees everywhere all look the same when you have no idea where you are.’ Todd didn’t want to admit his inability to understand the environment. He was put on the spot with Nat’s questions.
‘Those bushy trees are mulga trees. We depend on them to feed sheep in dry times, like now. Normally Mitchell grass grows everywhere. Look, over in that paddock. Haven’t had stock for a couple of years.’ Todd was impressed by Nat’s knowledge of his craft as a grazier.
‘Your knowledge of this area impresses me?’ Todd said to Nat.
‘Mate. I’ve lived here all of my life. Worked in each paddock apart from ‘Tilbaroo Station’. Lived through good times, now experiencing the worst drought this country has ever had.’ Nat explained in a serious voice.
‘I understand why you wanted to be a member of this committee. Means a lot to you.’ Todd waited for Nat’s response.
‘If what Ryan did yesterday is any indication of how easy we can find water in these parts. Yes, I’ll be the happiest man in these parts. Water is everything. Pure gold.’ Nat finished his sermon.
‘I did find a couple of pigs yesterday. Don’t ask me where, I couldn’t tell you. After I dismounted from the horse I snuck up to where they were in a gully. I got off a couple of arrows. I may have wounded one, others got away.’ Todd wanted to share his story, a little intimidated.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:40 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 76:

‘Don’t worry. The one you hit with the arrow will either lay down die or when we’re out mustering may find ‘The Pig Todd Shot’.’ Nat smiled. ‘You didn’t happen to sight any dingoes by any chance.’
‘No. Can’t say I did. After shooting the pigs, they ran off. By the time I remounted they were out of sight. Sorry.’ Todd had nothing else to say.
‘With lambing season, some time off, we’ll keep an eye out for them. Dingoes are more of a worry than pigs. In one night, a dingo with their mob can kill most of the lambs for the year’s tally.’ Nat started to rise. ‘We better be moving home to let you people be home before dark.’
‘Are you certain about Ryan?’ Melinda asked. ‘I don’t want him to become a burden or a nuisance.’
‘Ryan will be fine Melinda. Don’t fret. We’ll make certain he’s home before school starts.’ Joe said tapping Ryan on the shoulder.
‘Yes Mom. I’ll be right. Don’t worry.’ Ryan explained.
‘Todd. Before we leave. Have you recorded everything you need to report to Brisbane?’ Joe asked.
‘Yes. Actually, I’m impressed. When each bore is finished, I’ll report them to Brisbane where they’ll make a record of the date, place location of each bore. I’ve named them according to location on what property they’re on so everything will be on record.’ Todd explained.
‘We’ll leave all the technical details to you. We’ll be your goffers.’ Nat finished.
After the horses caught harnessed to each sulky each party entered their rigs left ‘Tilbaroo Station’. Nat, Martha, Ryan, Joe left the others at ‘Kahmoo Station’ turnoff to venture onto their homestead. Ryan rode Buttons beside Nat’s sulky smiling with excitement of what to look forward to next week.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 77:

Chapter 11

‘How’d you sleep Ryan?’ Martha asked when Ryan entered the kitchen. ‘Have a seat. The others had their breakfast earlier.’
Ryan sat at the kitchen table with a huge smile on his face. ‘I had a wonderful sleep thank you Mrs Young.’ Martha placed a plate filled with sausages and eggs, a slice of toast on the table in front of him. ‘Thanks Mrs Young. I love sausages.’ Ryan started eating.
‘What would you prefer to drink. I have sunshine milk, tea or water.’ Martha asked. She continued, ‘I’ve washed your clothes from yesterday. They’re hanging on the chair. How did Nat’s shorts work as pyjamas?’ Martha asked attending to her own meal.
Swallowing a mouth filled with food, Ryan finished to say with an empty mouth. ‘Water will be fine, thank you Mrs Young. Clothes fitted great. Thank you for doing my washing. I hate to become a nuisance for not having sufficient clothes. This is delicious. Sausages are the best food I like.’ Ryan’s manners impressed Martha.
‘I’ve got some old trousers Nat used to wear. I’ll sew them today so you’ll have something to wear tomorrow. Here’s your lunch with morning smoko. Catch up with you with the others at dinner tonight.’ Martha finished to attend to her daily chores cleaning the kitchen, washing up, repairing clothes.
Ryan completed his breakfast, picked up his plate and glass carried them to the bench. ‘May I be excused.’ He asked.
‘Yes. By all means.’ Martha couldn’t believe Ryan’s good manners.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 78:

After dressing in his clothes Mrs Young placed on the chair, he returned to Mrs Young said, ‘Thank you Mrs Young. I’ll tell the others. Where are they?’ Ryan asked.
‘Nat saddled Buttons tied him to the hitching rail outside. He told me to tell you they will be at the shearing shed when you’re ready to join them.’ Martha pointed south. ‘You can’t miss the shearing shed. Don’t forget to wear your hat. Have a good day, Ryan?’
Ryan bid Martha farewell left by the front door, pulled his hat firmly onto his head, walked to where Buttons was tied, mounted rode toward the shearing shed.
‘Bout time you got here. We need a hand, sleepy head.’ Nat called when Ryan rode toward him. ‘Tie Buttons over near the shed with the other horses. Help us with these stragglers.’
Ryan rode to the other horses, dismounted, tied his reins to the hitching rail near the shed, ran to Nat and Joe started calling to the sheep to move. A dog leaped on top of the sheep to help push them into the yards. Dust caused Ryan to sneeze.
‘You right Ryan?’ Joe called after forcing the final sheep into the yard.
‘I’m alright. Thank you.’ Ryan sneezed coughed. ‘Not used to this dust.’ He took a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe the dust from his face, then blew his nose. After the dust settled they walked to their horses.
‘I contacted Ole Billy Campbell. He’s started boring where you divined yesterday. Wanta have a look if he finds water?’ Nat called.
‘Yes Sir.’ Ryan shouted. A huge smile spread across his face. He couldn’t believe how important to find water. His self- confidence filled with expectations to find water below the surface where he divined. How deep. He had no idea. When the stick broke, showed water was deep because this had never happened to him before when he divined for water along the railway track.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 79:

They approached the drilling machine, a steam driven apparatus puffing smoke through a chimney stack. A huge pole type drill poised in front of the engine to bore into the ground. A man about the same age as Joe placed wood into the furnace of the engine.
‘How’re you going?’ Ole Billy Campbell walked to where the three horsemen stopped. They dismounted.
‘Ryan, would you take the horses tie them over near those trees. Thanks, mate.’ Nat instructed. Ryan collected the reins of the three horses walked them to the trees secured them to the branches returned to the men standing near the drilling machine.
‘So this is young Mister Ryan Carlson. I’m Billy Campbell. Pleased to meet you.’ Billy shook hands with Ryan. ‘A firm grip son.’
Releasing his grip Ryan said to Billy. ‘I’m pleased to meet you Sir. Hope you find water.’
‘From what I’ve been told about your exploits. I’m certain ‘Canadian Bill’ will find water even if we drill all of the way to China.’ Billy replied with a laugh.
‘Who’s ‘Canadian Bill?’ Where’s China?’ Ryan asked. A frown formed on his forehead.
‘A small joke between the four of us. After what Joe told me about your stick breaking I believe we’ll find water with ‘Canadian Bill’. Might be deep, but we’ll find something.’ Billy said, tapping his hand on the side of ‘Canadian Bill’ boring machine. ‘How did you start divining?’ He asked.
‘My Dad’s building the railway line from Charleville to Cunnamulla. Each time we moved camp I divined along the track to find water. Dad dug a hole where I divined. Everyone in the camp had sufficient water to use. Good clean water.’ Ryan explained.
‘If this works you’ll be employed divining for water all through this country. What class in school are you in?’ Billy asked.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed May 03, 2017 10:06 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 80:

‘Grade 6 Sir.’ Ryan said.
‘I never went to school. Me ole man wanted help with this rigging. I’ve been drilling ever since. I’d better be back to work. You can help if you want.’ Billy asked.
‘May I?’ Excitement in his voice. Joe nodded.
‘We’ll leave you two with the drilling. We have to ready the sheep for shearing tomorrow.’ Nat said, grabbed Joe by the arm. ‘We’ll call back this afternoon before we knock off.’ They left Ryan with Billy at the drilling site to return to the shearing yards.
Noise from the steam engine plus the bore rig caused Ryan to ask Billy a question. ‘Is this machine always loud?’ Ryan shouted above the noise.
‘The noise isn’t so bad. Works on your hearing. When you’ve been doing this as long as I have. No noise at all.’ Billy explained to Ryan. ‘Tell me about water here? I drilled over the other paddock all I got were rabbit warrens. To each their own. I suppose.’ Billy continued checking the plant and drill. In this type of soil, the drill only bored less than ten feet needed to be replaced. Pulling a lever, the drill stopped. Billy bought the drill to the surface. ‘I need to change the drill. They wear down quickly in this soft going. Won’t be a minute.’ Billy went ahead replaced the old one drill with a sharper one. Repositioned the bore into the hole, pulled the lever to re-start the drill. ‘Okay. Let’s leave the drill do its work. We’ll have a cuppa. What do you think?’ Billy finished.
Ryan nodded. Billy filled a billy with water from a canvas bag, placed the billy over the fire in the furnace soon bubbles rose to the top. Placing the billy onto the floor of the plant he threw in a handful of tea leaves, grabbed a rag nearby started to swing the billy around with his right arm. After he swung the billy three times to the right he placed the billy on the floor to wait while for the tea leaves to settle.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter