• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu May 04, 2017 10:45 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 81:

‘Why are you doing this?’ Ryan inquired.
‘Making a billy of tea. Don’t want to suck on tea leaves. Do you?’ Billy explained. He grabbed a couple of pannikins from his tucker box filled each one with tea. ‘Here you are. Have a go at this?’ Billy handed Ryan a pannikin plus a sandwich. ‘I made these this morning.’
They ate their sandwiches drank the tea. ‘This is good.’ Ryan said with half his mouth full of sandwich.
‘Which is good. Tea or sandwich?’ Billy asked.
‘Both. I’ve never drank tea this good before. Fresh or something like that. Sandwich is also good. Thank you.’ Ryan finished his sandwich slowly sipping his tea from the pannikin.
‘You never answered my question about water before. How can you tell water is down here?’ Billy asked pointing toward the ground.
‘When I’m divining, thoughts of water flows through my mind. I concentrate hard on finding water. Water is beneath the ground. I can’t say how far water is below the surface. Water is somewhere.’ Ryan explained. This was the first time anyone asked how he found water.
‘We better return to finding this water.’ Billy thought about Ryan’s comment hoped his summation right because drilling for water became expensive, hard work if not found. Like looking for a needle in a haystack. One needed the luck of the Irish or personal belief in Ryan Carlson.
‘Have no idea how deep down. Only when the stick broke showed me water a lot further down than I’ve ever had before.’ Ryan explained.
‘We’ll keep going. I’ve got to have confidence in your divining on how you explained your method. I believe you when you tell me. We’ll keep going.’ Billy continued to monitor the drilling plant deepening the bore.
‘If you want to do something, gather more wood for the fire. I’ve got to keep this puffing billy going to continue boring.’ Billy commented.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Fri May 05, 2017 10:58 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 82:

‘I’ll be right back.’ Ryan left gathered branches of mulga or any other dead branches to use to keep the fire going.
Late in the afternoon Nat and Joe returned.
‘How far are we down Billy?’ Nat asked dismounting from his horse tying the reins to a nearby branch.
‘Almost three hundred feet. Haven’t found water yet. Long way to go. Young Ryan tells me the stick broke he used for divining so I can’t imagine how deep we need to go.’ Billy explained to Nat.
‘I don’t care how far you gotta bore. Keep going until you strike water.’ Nat instructed sternly.
‘What happens if I go further than we’ve ever gone before?’ Billy said.
‘Keep drilling. I don’t care about the costs. I believe in young Ryan.’ Nat admitted.
‘Okay. You’re the Boss. I’ll keep drilling. Might have to gather more wood for the furnace.’
‘Leave the gathering of wood to me. I’ll have a couple of workers gather enough wood to keep you going for a week.’ Nat finished. ‘We’d better be getting home Ryan. Martha will have kittens if we’re home after dark. You ready.’ Nat asked.
‘Yes Sir. Why would Mrs Young have kittens?’ Ryan said mounting Buttons. Nat and Joe laughed.
Before daybreak the following morning Ryan finished breakfast with Nat and Joe.
‘What’re you going to do today Ryan?’ Nat asked finishing his tea.
‘I’d love to help Mr Campbell. If that would be alright Sir.’ Ryan explained.
‘Fine by me. What about you Joe. Did you have any chores for Ryan to do?’ Nat asked Joe.
‘None at all. You ride over to help Billy today. We’ll come over this afternoon when we’re ready. Take some lunch with you. Billy would make you something but you take something from here just in case.’ Joe said as he rose to make sandwiches for Ryan to take with him.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat May 06, 2017 11:06 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 83:

After Joe finished making mutton sandwiches Ryan packed them into a saddle bag Joe handed to him. ‘I’ve saddled your horse. Buttons is tied up outside with the other horses. Have a great day. Don’t let Ole Billy talk you into too much. Catch up with you this afternoon.’ Joe finished. Ryan bid his friends good-day, left the house, threw the saddlebag behind the saddle on Buttons. After mounting Buttons rode toward the plant.
‘Good morning to you young Mister Ryan. Did you sleep well?’ Billy asked after Ryan tied Buttons to a nearby tree grabbed his saddlebag walked to the plant.
‘Have you discovered water yet Mr Campbell?’ Ryan sang in a cheery voice placing his saddlebag on a platform of the plant climbed upon the platform with Billy.
‘Went through some hard shale, thought I broke a couple of bits. Still boring. Down past seven hundred feet. The deepest I’ve ever drilled is one thousand feet. Hope to find water soon. Found moist soil late last night but this morning back to the hard grind.’ Billy explained to Ryan.
‘You worked all night?’ Ryan asked surprised.
‘The plant never stops mate. As long as we have sufficient wood to stoke the furnace. I never sleep.’
‘Don’t you ever tier?’ If he didn’t have proper sleep he’d never function the next day. This time of the day was much too early for Ryan but because he was on holidays hopefully before the weekend came around for him to return to Cunnamulla they’d find water. He hoped. ‘Anything for me to do?’ Ryan asked wanting to help out in some way.
‘Not at this stage. The plant is doing all the work. Sufficient wood to keep this machine going until the end of the week. No. Nothing to do but listen to ‘Canadian Bill’ hoping to reach water whenever that will be.’ Billy informed Ryan.
All through the heat of the day ‘Canadian Bill’ puffed bored deeper and deeper.
‘One thousand feet.’ Billy called out. Light faded. Joe rode toward the plant.
‘How’re you fellars going? Had any luck?’ Joe asked dismounting.
‘Down one thousand feet Joe. No water yet.’ Billy expressed in a depressed voice.
‘Keep going Billy. The Boss said keep boring until you locate water.’ Joe told Billy. ‘Are you ready to go home Ryan?’
‘Thank you Mr Campbell for today. Hope you find water shortly or you may strike China.’ Ryan giggled walked to Buttons mounted.
Early the next morning, still dark, someone shook him. He awoke to find Joe, ‘Quick Ryan. Out of bed. Billy found water. Water is shooting out of the ground twenty feet in the air. Come on quickly. You were right.’ Ryan jumped out of bed. Quickly changed his clothes pulled on his boots followed Joe to where the horses were tied to the railing.
Riding through the darkness they came upon the plant. Odour of water breathed through his nostrils fresh water with slight sulphur.
‘You bloody beauty Ryan. You were right. Water here everywhere. I needed to go down to almost fifteen hundred feet.’ Billy cried with glee wrapped his arms around Ryan’s shoulders. ‘You’re a bloody beauty Ryan Carlson.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun May 07, 2017 10:25 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 84:

Chapter 12

Bush telegraph alive, news spread of this discovery especially young Ryan Carlson making him an instant celebrity with the newspaper heading: ‘Mysterious Diviner Boy Finds Water’. Water gold to these graziers. Ryan returned to school after his epic discovery. His fellow students waited anxiously for Ryan to share his story. Standing in front of his classmates presented the broken fork he used to discover ‘The Great Artisan Water Basin’ at ‘Kahmoo Station’. His explanation humble; his classmates applauded his gift to find water especially through the harshest drought recorded in their country’s history.
After his presentation at school he returned home to the applause of his parents with other railway workers.
‘Congratulations Ryan.’ A loud cry of appreciation applauded him. Joe and Hannah were amongst the crowd with his parents and friends.
Joe approached Ryan. They shook hands. ‘You’re the most popular fellow in these parts. Good on you mate. I’m proud of you.’ Joe tapped him on the shoulder. A sign of appreciation.
‘I can’t understand why everyone is so excited.’ Ryan replied in a high-pitched voice unable to understand his sudden rise of status in this community.
‘Mate, you’ve discovered gold. Underwater gold. If we don’t have water in these parts we wouldn’t live.’ Joe explained. ‘You saved our country.’ A smile spread across his face.
‘I’m proud of you, son.’ Todd said shaking Ryan’s hand. Tears filled Ryan’s eyes hearing his father speak these words. Ryan didn’t think he’d done much. To receive praise from his father certainly gave him self-assurance to find more water.
‘Thanks Dad.’ Ryan gaffed.
Melinda wrapped her arms around his shoulders whispered in his ear. ‘Love you Ryan. With all my heart.’ She released her hold.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 85:

‘Love you too Mom.’
‘Todd, may I have a few words with you please about Ryan.’ Joe asked Todd.
‘Sure mate. What’s wrong. Come over to our tent where we can talk in peace. Been quite an afternoon. I’m so proud of Ryan. Still buggered how he discovers this water with a bloody forky stick. Who cares. He found water.’ They walked to the tent entered. ‘Take a seat. I only have water I’m afraid.’ Todd joked. Joe nodded sat on a makeshift lounge. Todd handed Joe a tumbler of water. ‘Now what’s up?’
Joe took an envelope from his pocket, handed the envelope to Todd. ‘Nat asked me to give you this for Ryan as payment for finding water.’ He sipped on his drink.
Todd opened the envelope seeing money, notes. After taking them from the envelope he counted five pounds in one pound notes. ‘We can’t take this money from Nat or anyone else.’ Todd said in surprise.
‘Nat wants you to put the money in the bank for Ryan’s education. More where this came from. Nat has Ryan lined up to divine for water on all of his properties. He’s got plenty for Ryan to do. I can tell you.’ Joe explained.
‘Alright then. I’ll deposit this money into an account for Ryan plus any other money which he earns. This is a lot of money Joe. I don’t earn this amount of money. Did he do THAT good a job?’ Todd said in disbelief.
‘He certainly did. Honestly, what gift he possesses for finding water. He’ll do us.’ They both clicked their tumblers together to celebrate Ryan’s discovery. Todd continued, ‘Ryan has become the pinup student for Cunnamulla State School. His reputation extended to the capital of Queensland. The Right Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA received regular correspondence sent by me the Chairman of ‘The Great Artisan Water Basin’ Committee for record purposes. This particular finding became especially important because Ryan being my son. Do you realise Ryan’s discovery has reached the-powers-to-be in the Capital?’ Todd expressed.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue May 09, 2017 10:27 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 86:

‘I didn’t. No. Isn’t this good news?’ Joe stated.
Todd moved from the lounge to his make shift desk retrieved a letter which he handed to Joe. ‘This is from your friend, The Right Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire, MLA. Wait until you read what he wrote. This is interesting.’ Todd sat silent whilst Joe read the letter.
‘Queensland Parliament has passed The Aboriginal Protection and Restriction of the Sale of Opium Act 1897 (Qld) which grants power to the ‘Protector of Aboriginals’ to be removed to, and kept within the limits of, any reserve situated within such District.’ Joe read aloud. ‘What’s this got to do with us?’ Joe asked.
‘Archibald Meston has been appointed ‘Protector of the Aboriginals.’ Todd expressed.
‘What’s this got to do with me?’ Joe appeared confused. A crease formed on his brow.
‘The Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA is forever in your debt for what you did to save his coward hide from going to prison. He’s paying you back for what you did.’ Todd explained.
‘He doesn’t need to. On one hand, I’m pleased he appreciates what I did at the time; more pleased how he keeps me in the loop. I can’t complain. What about this fellow Archibald Meston?’ Joe finished.
‘Nothing to do with us. According to this letter from your friend in Parliament Archibald Meston has power to muster all aborigines to place them in camps. A huge task.’ Todd explained.
‘I wish him the best of British luck because those aborigines have lived in this country far longer than we have. Over the time I’ve lived here I’ve seen tribes move from place to place in search of food. I suppose with this drought they can’t hunt for their food nor fish in the rivers. Let’s hope Archibald Meston has some idea of caring for these people. Hate to be in their shoes, if they wore shoes, to find places for them to settle.’ Joe’s agitation showed to think how a do-gooda will change the plight of a human race thousands of years old survived longer than any white man to be controlled by a white race. ‘He’s got to be kidding.’ His final remarks.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed May 10, 2017 11:10 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 87:

‘Joe, why would this upset you so much?’ Todd asked.
‘I’ve met, with aborigines over time. Honestly they are good people. To be herded up like sheep placed into camps appear to be a bit over the top.’ Joe handed the tumbler back to Todd. ‘I’ve got to go. Tell me when you want to meet again for a committee meeting.’ Joe left the tent.
Within a month the first aborigines were gathered up settled in the sand hills south of Cunnamulla township. Out-of-sight plus out-of-mind. They settled near enough to Warrego River to fish, far enough away in the sand hills not to annoy any white townsfolk. They built gunyas, a construction of bark from trees with branches to house a small family.
During lunch break Ryan with a couple of his classmates often swam naked in the Warrego River. This particular day they went to their usual place. An aboriginal youth similar in age to themselves stood holding a spear looking into the shallow water of the river.
Ryan stood silent. This youth stared into the water holding a spear in his right hand. Suddenly he threw the spear into the water spearing a fish which hung on the end. Ryan couldn’t believe what he’d seen. His eyes almost bulged from their sockets.
‘G’day.’ Ryan called to this youth who became startled, picked up his spear with the fish attached to the end ran from the river heading toward the sand hill. Ryan called for him to stop but the youth increased pace before Ryan blinked, the youth disappeared.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter