• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 95:

Todd couldn’t believe Ryan speared not one fish but four. After cleaning them Melinda cooked each one in a pan on the open fire. By sundown she completed cooking the fish placed them onto a plate for dinner. Melinda had never eaten yellow belly before.
‘These are tasty.’ She mentioned eating the flesh of the fish.
‘I speared them. Desi showed me how. I needed to take my hat off to stop reflection on the water scare away the fish. I like Desi. I want to learn his ways.’ Ryan kept eating.
‘Tell me. When did they move to their camp?’ Todd asked in between eating his fish.
‘Mr Meston, Aboriginal Protector, found Daisy and her family living on the Paroo River. Told them under the recent law to live on the out-skirts of Cunnamulla.’ Melinda said.
‘Where is her husband?’ Todd asked.
‘According to Daisy, went walkabout.’ Melinda replied.
‘That’s a shame because with the extension of the railway line to Cunnamulla we’ll be looking to employ fettlers to help maintain the line.’ Todd explained.
‘I’ll tell Daisy when I next catch up with her.’ Melinda finished.
Day by day at school Ryan instructed lessons with Desi to form words from the letters he put to memory. By the final weeks of school before the mid-term break Desi understood many words practiced his writing; read from books he borrowed from the library to understand the words and meaning.
‘What’re you doing on the holidays?’ Ryan asked Desi during a lunch period.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1853 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 96:

‘Help Mom. Fish, gather bush tucker. Why?’ Desi said who improved his English by learning his words reading books.
‘Mr Young wants me to divine for water on one of his properties. Do you want to come with me?’ Ryan asked.
‘What would I do? What you do to divine for water?’ Desi queried.
‘I select a forky stick near where I divine for water. Walk around until the stick bends toward the ground, then tell Mr Campbell to drill. I found water in Mr Young’s property at ‘Kahmoo Station’ earlier this year.’ Ryan explained.
‘Are you Kadaitja Man?’ Desi asked in shock.
‘What’s Kadaitja Man?’ Ryan frowned.
Desi explained his meaning of a Kadaitja Man. Ryan’s mouth opened. ‘No. I’m not a Kadaitja Man. I can’t explain how I find water but since I’ve found water on Mr Young’s property he wants me to find water on all of his other properties.’
‘Can I come to help you find water?’ Desi pleaded.
‘I’ll ask Mr Young. I think he’ll agree.’
School holidays arrived the two boys went with Joe to ‘Kahmoo Station’ dropped them at the homestead. ‘I’ve got to check on the stock. I’ll leave you both here with Nat. Be back later on.’ Joe allowed the boys to step down from the sulky, clicked Joker drove off toward the shearing shed.
Ryan introduced his friend Desi to Nat. ‘Mr Young, Desi wants to help me find water on your property?’ Ryan asked.
‘Of course Ryan. Any friend of Ryan’s is a friend of mine.’ Nat shook Desi’s hand.
‘Thank you Mr Young.’ Desi replied.
‘What about some lunch. I’ll ask Martha to make sandwiches plus a drink to have on the veranda.’ Nat left the boys to enter the kitchen.
‘Is that an aboriginal boy Ryan has with him?’ Martha asked when Nat joined her in the kitchen.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/681247.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 97:

‘Yes, his name is Desi Whiteman. I didn’t want to invite them inside because I understand you not having an aboriginal inside your home.’ Nat tried to explain without embarrassment.
‘I’ll make sandwiches. Feed them on the veranda. I don’t want an aboriginal boy in my home Nat. Where’re they going to sleep?’ Martha asked turned to make sandwiches.
‘I’ll make arrangements they stay on ‘Moonjaree Station’. That’s where Ryan will be divining for water.’ Nat explained. Martha nodded, finished making sandwiches placed them onto plates handed them to Nat who carried them to where the boys sat on the veranda.
‘Here you are boys.’ Nat placed the plates on the small table between the boys. He returned to the kitchen.
After they ate their sandwiches Nat said, ‘Ryan, I’ll take you and your friend over to ‘Moonjaree Station’. We’ll settle you both in. When you’re ready.’ Nat explained.
‘Thanks Mr Young.’ Ryan expressed in a positive voice. ‘How is the bore going?’ He asked.
‘Great so far. Plenty of water pumping. Billy is delving drains to different paddocks. He’ll be here for some time. Miles of bore drains to make. We purchased stronger horses. Joe had the blacksmith make a proper delver. I’ll show you if you want?’ Nat concluded. They both nodded between eating their sandwiches.
Nat drove to the paddock where Billy drove a dozen horses behind the new delving machine digging a deep drain from the borehead through the centre of the paddock. Nat stopped the sulky nearby.
‘I got a couple of friends to show what you’re doing?’ Nat called to Billy who stopped the horses calling their names.
‘I think time for smoko. What do you reckon?’ He called to Nat.
‘We just had smoko Mr Campbell.’ Ryan called to Billy leaving the sulky walked toward him. Ryan couldn’t believe the drain being dug so deep. ‘Mr Campbell. This is my friend Desi. He’s come to help me find water.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun May 21, 2017 10:16 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 98:

Billy shook hands with Desi. ‘Pleased to meet you, young fella. A friend of Ryan’s is a friend of mine. If you don’t mind, I’ll still have smoko. You’re welcome to stay have a yarn.’ Billy concluded with a smile. He gathered small pieces of wood to make a fire.
‘I’ll do that for you Mr Campbell.’ Desi interrupted sprinted to gather small sticks leaves to make a fire.
‘You can leave your friend with me if you want Ryan. I need an off-sider to help me.’ Billy said with a grin.
‘Can I stay with Mr Campbell. Please Mr Young. I’ll do everything he asks.’ Desi pleaded. ‘You don’t mind. Do you Ryan?’ Desi asked.
Nat looked at Ryan who shrugged his shoulders. ‘If you want too. Nothing much you need to do with me. Okay if Desi stays with Mr Campbell to help him with the delving?’ Ryan directed his question to Nat.
‘No problem.’ Nat was relieved because Martha didn’t want Desi in her home. This became a solution to his problems. ‘Okay Ryan we’ll be off then. I’ll drop some things off to you later Billy for Desi. You look after him until then.’ Nat requested.
‘Sure will Nat. We’ll be fine. How long before you two return to school?’ Billy asked.
‘Another week.’ Ryan replied.
‘In that time we’ll have Desi guiding these horses digging trenches. Catch you two later.’ Billy replied to return making his fire to boil the billy.
‘Catch up with you next week Desi after hopefully finding water for Mr Young.’ Ryan replied jumping upon the seat next to Nat.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon May 22, 2017 10:37 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 99:

Chapter 14

Desi remained working with Billy delving a bore drain across paddocks for the remainder of the week. By the end Desi drove the horses behind the delver calling to each one by name guiding them through soil making a deep drain for the water to flow.
‘Thank you for teaching me about these horses Mr Campbell. I love working with horses.’ He told Billy when they were about to stop for lunch.
‘I’m pleased you love this job because after Ryan discovers water throughout this country someone will be needed to make these bore drains to water stock.’ Billy laughed.
Desi kept silent, his mind created a vision to be the one person to drive the horses dig the drains. His smile wide. ‘Do we stop for lunch Mr Campbell?’ Desi asked.
Billy gave his approval to stop, unharness the horses while they boil the billy to have lunch. He made mutton sandwiches for each of them after breakfast. They’d camped beside the boredrain after Nat dropped clothes plus a swag for Desi. Desi loved this life working on the property.
‘How old are you Desi?’ Billy asked while enjoying lunch.
‘Have no idea. How old Ryan?’ Desi asked.
‘Eleven, I think.’
‘I eleven then.’
‘You like school?’ Billy inquired.
‘Alright. Ryan teach me read write. Good teacher. Mrs Gibson good teacher too. I like her.’ Desi answered taking a sip of tea.
‘I wish I would’ve went to school. They teach you to read and write?’ Billy’s question a little embarrassed to share his life with an eleven-year-old aboriginal boy who he only met less than a week before.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 100:

‘Ryan teach me about letters to learn. Twenty-six. He says these letters form words. That’s all I need to learn. Ryan smart.’ Desi admitted. ‘Why didn’t you learn to read write Mr Campbell?’ Desi asked.
‘I worked with my father. He never learned to read or write so what was good for him, was good enough for me. I now wish I learnt how to read and write.’ Billy explained.
‘Ryan teach you. He good teacher.’ Desi raised the question.
‘Too bloody old for learning to read and write. Can’t teach an ole dog new tricks.’ Billy finished his sandwich and tea. ‘Sleep. You talk too much.’ Billy leaned against a log, pulled his hat over his eyes, soon snores echoed telling Desi he was asleep.
Desi sat beside another log thinking about Mr Campbell’s words. If Mr Meston hadn’t found his family camped on the Paroo River taken them to Cunnamulla, he probably wouldn’t learn how to read or write. His family most important people to Desi. Many things he learned from his father, uncles, grandfather other members of his tribe. Not reading or writing, before sleep overtook him.
After the sun moved across the sky Billy woke which startled Desi. ‘Come on we’ve got more delving to do.’ Billy rose stamped out the fire covered the burnt coals with dirt. By this time Desi ran to collect the horses harness them to the delver. He continued delving the drain toward the western end of the paddock.
Late in the afternoon Billy called Desi to stop unharness the horses. He prepared dinner whilst Desi prepared the night camp. Each swag set away from the main dining area with logs used for seating. Billy cooked potatoes plus unions in the camp oven. Nat left sufficient salted meat to last a week.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed May 24, 2017 10:46 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 101:

Billy handed Desi a plate of food. ‘You must be hungry with all the work you did today. You’re a good worker Desi.’ Billy complimented his aboriginal friend. Desi nodded his head too busy eating his dinner. After dinner, he washed the dishes in a pan, dried them.
‘You want a mug of tea Mr Campbell?’ Desi asked filling the billy with water to boil.
‘Sure do. Actually, I’ve been thinking about what you said at lunchtime. If you learn how to read and write. You’ll be the first aboriginal to do so. Ever think about the possibilities you’ll have.’ Billy expressed a little excitement shudder through his body thinking to motivate this young aboriginal person to become someone in the world.
‘No idea Mr Campbell. I educated. My peoples Kunja people educate me in aboriginal ways. My peoples been in this country for thousands of years. Cunnamulla in our language means long stretch of water? My peoples been hunting fishing here since Dreamtime.’ Desi couldn’t believe him sharing this information with Mr Campbell. At that moment, a light bulb illuminated in Desi’s mind showing him years older standing beside Ryan well dressed in modern clothing. Suddenly the bulb dulled. ‘I’ll think about what you said. Become first aboriginal to read write.’ Desi pondered.
Shortly after daybreak the next morning Desi and Billy while having breakfast horses approached their camp. Ryan riding Buttons, Joe riding Joker stopped, riders dismounted.
‘Tie these over on that tree, will you Ryan. Thanks.’ Joe handing the reins of his horse to Ryan. ‘How’s everything going Billy, Desi? Got a spare mug of tea.’ Joe sat next to Desi.
‘Sure have.’ Billy rose from his seat called out to Ryan, ‘you want mug of tea Ryan?’
‘No thanks Mr Campbell. Just finished breakfast.’ Ryan called back joined the others.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter