• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 15:

‘Don’t look after him too much Mother. He doesn’t deserve the care you’re giving him.’ Hannah spat.
‘Thank you, Martha.’ Joe grumbled. ‘I’ll try my best to eat this delicious food.’ Joe scooped food into his mouth devouring each piece, vapour of fresh cooked bacon and eggs pieced his nostrils almost causing vomit rise from his stomach to his mouth. Joe’s condition wasn’t good. He’d never been effected by liquor before. Must have caught a bug in the beer.
‘Do you remember the conversation with The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA yesterday Joe?’ Nat inquired sipping tea.
‘Don’t remind me Nat. All I remember is he told us to call him Joe. Couldn’t remember much afterwards because the waiter kept placing a tumbler of beer in front of me.’ Joe explained between eating breakfast. His stomach churning with each bite of food.
‘You remember agreeing to become a recruitment officer to gather recruits to fight in ‘The Boer War’ in South Africa?’ Nat expressed in a serious voice.
‘I beg your pardon. Recruitment officer. Boer War. What did you do Joe?’ Hannah screamed, pushed her chair out, placed her hands over her mouth, sobbed, left the kitchen. Joe went to rise.
‘Let her go.’ Nat muttered. ‘Wait until she cools off before you tell her the news of you and others fighting the Boers in South Africa.’ Nat said. ‘Close your mouth Mother. You’ll catch flies.’ Nat continued.
Joe stopped eating, placed his face into his hands. ‘What have I done.’ He muttered.
‘Don’t worry Joe. You wouldn’t believe what The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA has for me.’ Nat quietened.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/758644.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 16:

‘You’re not going to fight the Boers? Are you Nat. Anyway, you’re too bloody old. Your place is on the property.’ Martha expressed.
‘What has Joe got for you?’ Joe asked finishing off his breakfast.
‘With Federation of Australia approaching in a couple of years he wants me to work with him to establish Australia. Bloody huge job. What do you think Martha?’ Nat asked.
Martha failed to open her mouth to answer instead stood still. Wheels in her mind turned at a million mile an hour. ‘What did you say?’ Martha asked in shock.
‘Joe has asked if I will assist him in establishing ‘Federation of Australia’. At first, I told him he had the wrong fellow. However, after another couple of drinks my ego took over from common sense. I agreed to help. Think about this opportunity Martha. To become involved in naming Australia, working with The Founding Fathers to establish the laws of this land. To start on the ground floor, witness Australia become a Nation. Witness our country grow into a Nation. Being involved. Not many opportunities come along like this one.’ Nat stood raising his voice almost heralding the beginning of a Nation. Nate’s patriotism taking hold. Pride to be an Australian rose in his chest.
‘Stop! Nathan Young. You’re a grazier. Not a builder of a nation. Remove those stupid thoughts from your mind right this instance.’ Martha demanded.
‘Don’t be like that, Martha. This will place me in a position of power in this country. Just think after all the colonies became Australia I’ll be in the position to guide my dream of Treasure House Of Nations Heart to be built in our area. Martha, I can’t miss this opportunity.’ Nat expressed almost thumping his chest. Martha sat silent.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/758644.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:54 am

Thank you for your 'like' Nevus. Much appreciated. Here is the page for today: 'The Year That Never Was' - Page 17:

‘Thank you for breakfast Martha. I’ll go speak with Hannah. If she’ll let me.’ Joe left Martha and Nat to discuss their future.
‘You’re not going to go along with this Federation of Australia thing. Are you Nat?’ Martha had never in their marriage interfered with any decision her husband made. This one different.
‘Yes Martha. This is too good an opportunity to pass up. I need to become involved. With Joe as Member of Parliament here in Queensland I have a foot in the door.’ He replied with glee. ‘Why aren’t you happy for me Martha?’ Nat responded.
Martha sat silent thinking of the possibilities of her future. Nat’s determination to become involved with the Federation of Australia clear in his mind. She never understood why he wanted to become so involved. When he mentioned Treasure House Of Nations Heart, bells and whistles went off in her head.
‘Alright. I understand your passion to be involved. I’ll need to agree with you. You’ll blame me for not allowing you to become involved. Okay, I agree.’ Martha admitted.
Nat moved around to Martha in one step, placed his arms around her shoulders, hugged her kissed her on the lips. ‘Thank you for giving me this opportunity. I won’t let you down.’ Nat whispered into her ear. ‘Joe needs to convince his wife he is going to fight in South Africa.’ Nat finished.

Joe knocked on the bedroom door. ‘Can I come in Hannah?’ His voice soft. Sobbing noise echoed through the walls stopped.
‘Come in.’ Hannah whispered.
Joe turned the door handle, opened the door; his wife sobbing. ‘I’m sorry Hannah. I should’ve spoken with you first before agreeing with Joe about fighting in South Africa.’ He walked over to his wife. She sat upright. He sat down beside her.
‘Do you want to fight in South Africa?’ She said in between sobs and hiccups.
‘Yes. I do. For our country and British Empire.’ Joe admitted. In his heart and mind, he understood why Hannah became upset with the news. She didn’t want Joe to leave her.
‘I suppose if you want to go. You should go. I will not stand in your way. I’ll wait for your return.’ Hannah blurted out her answer.
Joe wrapped his arms around his wife, kissed her on the lips. ‘I love you so very much.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 18:

Chapter 3

After the dust settled on Joe fighting in the Boer War plus Nat involved in Federation of Australia they completed their vacation in Brisbane returned to Cunnamulla.
‘Joe,’ Hannah said throwing her arms around his neck when the train arrived in Cunnamulla. ‘Great to be home. This is home Joe. Don’t you ever forget.’ Hannah smiled kissed her husband on the lips looked him in the eyes.
Nat and Martha stayed the night with Joe and Hannah excited about the news of Joe’s involvement in recruiting others to fight in ‘The Boer War’ South Africa. Nat’s excitement in working with The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA in forming Federation for Australia almost turned him into another person. Martha pleased his interest for the good of Australia.
Prior to leaving Brisbane Joe and Nat met with The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA at his office in Parliament, this time not accepting liquor. They spoke like ole times discussing about their tasks. Joe Gibson understood his orders. Be in Brisbane October 1899 to board a ship with other soldiers. Have their own horse. Saddles, uniforms, equipment supplied. Recruit as many as possible. Each would keep in touch with one another on a regular basis. Joe understood his task whilst Nat couldn’t wipe the smile from his face.

Hannah returned to school. Joe returned to working for her father on ‘Kahmoo Station’. Once most of the regular tasks completed Joe and Nat sat on the front veranda to discuss their futures.
‘Nat, while mustering out in the back paddock the other day, a mob of brumbies come in to water at the boredrain Billy Campbell made.’ Joe mentioned while Nat smoked his pipe, his mind on more important things.
‘Sorry Joe. What did you say. My mind is away with the pixies. Something about brumbies.’ Nat put his pipe away to pay closer attention to his son-in-law.
‘What I said. The other day while mustering; a mob of brumbies came in to have a drink at the boredrain Billy made. I was thinking.’ Joe hesitated. ‘A big black stallion led them. I’d love to capture him to take to South Africa. Tough horse for a tough journey.’ Joe finished.
‘Joe, do what you need to do. Have you asked Billy Campbell if he wants to go with you to South Africa?’ Nat expressed in a concerned voice.
‘Not yet. I wanted to raise the question at the right time.’
‘Better ask him.’
‘Okay. I’ll ask him. I wanted his help with mustering the brumbies. He may want to pick one for himself if he agrees to come with me.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:57 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 19:

Next day while working with Billy Campbell Joe mentioned about his task of recruiting men to fight the Boers in South Africa. Billy agreed without hesitation. ‘I’d be delighted to fight beside you Joe. What do we need to do? When do we leave?’ Excitement flowed from Billy.
‘First we need to muster those brumbies in the back paddock. I want to capture the black stallion. You may want one for yourself since you’re coming with me.’ Joe admitted.
‘What does Hannah think about you going over to South Africa?’ Billy asked.
‘At first, she wasn’t happy. She listened to my reason for going; understood I need to go. Pleased you’re coming with me. Someone needs to look out for me.’ Joe expressed slapping Billy on the shoulder.
‘I’ll always keep your back Joe.’ Billy finished.
In the next fortnight, the two men built a makeshift yard to hold the brumbies from escape at the end of the boredrain. Hidden in the scrub they waited at dusk for the brumbies to water. Joe couldn’t believe how majestic the black stallion looked leading the mob. Before entering the makeshift yard, the stallion baulked, raised his head, smelt the air, stamped his front hooves, walked into the yard toward the boredrain.
Joe and Billy sprang from their hiding place after the final brumby entered the yard.
‘Quick Billy, grab the gate before they escape.’ Joe called. Both ran toward the gate to stop the stallion and other brumbies from escape. They grabbed the gate at the same time, yelling to the brumbies to stop before forcing their way through the bush-made gate.
Joe swung his whip in a circle, sound of a crack caused the brumbies to stop in their tracks. Billy fastened the gate secure enough the brumbies couldn’t escape.
‘Let them settle, Billy. They can’t escape. We’ll camp here tonight. Tomorrow we’ll work on catching the stallion.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:45 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 20:

Have a look at him Billy. Tough, bright eye, built like a country dunny. Can’t wait to break him in to saddle.’ Joe expressed in excitement. Apart from Joker plus horses from the station this is Joe’s first horse. ‘You better pick one for yourself. We’ll break them in together.’ Billy looked across at the brumbies, settled, drinking from the drain.
By the end of the next day Joe controlled his black stallion he named ‘Spartan’ whilst Billy captured a bay mare to his liking. ‘I’ll take this one.’ Billy called to Joe after securing his mare. ‘She’s a beauty. I like her.’ Billy smiled.
After allowing the other brumbies to leave the yard; the tough work begun. Breaking in both horses would take a couple of days to calm them to Joe and Billy’s control. First Joe drove Spartan around the yard so they would join up. Man, beast together as one. Joe drove Spartan around the yard; Spartan’s ears moving forward, backward. Time to join up. Joe walked away from Spartan stood facing the outside yard with his back to the horse. If the horse displayed sufficient confidence with the breaker, the horse would walk up to Joe. Joe stood erect, not a muscle moving waiting for Spartan to join up. Billy sat on the top rail on the opposite side of the yard.
After a couple of moments Spartan walked up to Joe, placed his nose close to the side of Joe’s face, sniffed, stood still. Joe placed his hand onto Spartan’s nose, rubbed the horse's nose, spoke in a low voice, ‘good boy’. Joe wrapped a lead rope around Spartan’s neck moved a halter over the horse’s nose secured the straps behind the horse’s ears. ‘Good boy’. After clipping the halter into place, fastened the lead to the halter Spartan and Joe joined up. They would never be separated.
Billy couldn’t believe this manner of horse and man being joined. ‘How did you do that?’ He questioned.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 21:

‘Something I picked up one time. I always wanted to try to find out if this idea worked. Billy, this method works. Lot better than skull dragging the horse to force them to break-in to man. More gentle. You want to try this method on your horse?’ Joe led Spartan to the other side of the yard, tied him secure to the rail.
Billy prepared himself similar to how Joe did with his horse. ‘I’ve named her ‘South Africa’ on where we'll be going,’ Billy shouted to Joe. Billy whirled his rope around in a circular motion forcing his horse to gallop in a circle. More she galloped, faster she travelled.
‘Slow her down a little Billy. Let her realise you are the alpha in this mob.’ Joe interjected.
Billy did as Joe suggested. South Africa slowed to a stop. Billy walked to the railing, turned his back to his horse. Stood erect. Without delay South Africa walked to Billy, sniffed his face, Billy rubbed her nose saying. ‘You’re the best.’ After repeating what Joe did with Spartan connected the halter and lead, he led her to where Joe and Spartan stood. ‘I would not have believed what we did. This is unbelievable.’ Billy smiled, rubbed his horse’s nose. ‘Good girl. What now!’ Billy asked.
‘That’ll do for today. Saddles tomorrow. We’ll leave them here until tomorrow, return to our camp.’ Joe stated. Sound of a horse and sulky soon drew their attention. Nat drove toward them stopping near the makeshift yard.
‘How’re you two going? Thought I’d better bring some grub. You’ve captured your horses.’ Nat climbed down from the sulky securing the rein to a nearby tree. ‘Nice horses. I think we better leave this yard here in case we need more horses in the future.’ Nat walked over to the two men. Shook their hands.
‘We’ve picked our horses. Billy decided to come with me to South Africa. His is the bay mare. Mine’s the black stallion. I named him Spartan, Billy named his mare, South Africa.’ Joe said.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter