Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 24:

Shopping Soothes The Soul

My friend Di loves shopping especially for shoes. Why shoes? Have no idea. Her spare bedroom fully stocked with shoes and handbags. 'Shopping soothes the soul', Di always told me when I inquired why she shopped so much, particularly purchasing shoes and handbags.
Di lives a fast pace through life. Once we travelled with her to Norfolk Island on vacation. Only one shop displayed shoes and handbags. Before leaving each of us needed to place Di's purchases into our travelling bags to carry home. 'Shopping soothes the soul' she mentioned more than once when asked why she purchased so many shoes and handbags. Di's soul must've be really soothed especially after shopping for so many shoes and handbags.
I must possess the soul of the devil when shopping. I hate shopping. Nothing worse to experience. I don't have a shopping gene in my body. I remember when being a teenager my mother purchased a shirt, shorts outfit for me. She selected the items. At the time warmth past through my body. I loved those clothes my mother purchased.
Alas, when the time came for me to purchase my own clothing, something crazy happened in my mind. I couldn't decide what to purchase. Possibly because from the item I choose to the time I paid the cashier. I changed my mind. I only purchased the necessary clothing to wear. Shopping certainly never soothed my soul.
My wife purchased my clothing which I must admit soothed my soul because I didn't need to make the decision. Do you realise I still have clothes hanging in my wardrobe dating back thirty years? These clothes are as good as the day my wife purchased them for me. Now when I want to purchase clothing for myself I walk into Lowes Menswear Store, select what I want; more particularly, what my partner selects for me to wear and purchase the items.
In retirement I don't need to change my clothes often as I do my underwear. Track suits last many years whilst shorts and tee shirts last longer. Why should I go shopping to soothe my soul? I can do many other things in my life to soothe my soul. Like what? You may ask.
I love to travel particularly to places I've never visited before. Mystery tours have soothed my soul. To travel on a mystery tour is mysterious. Only a month ago we went on a mystery tour which took us to Cairns in North Queensland, then to the Gulf where we stayed a couple of days at a resort in the middle of nowhere. This certainly soothed my soul.
Each to their own you may say. I agree. If Di wants to purchase shoes and handbags to fulfil her shopping soothes her soul, then I must admit to shopping for mystery tours to soothe my soul.
Word count: 481
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 25:

Straight From The Horse’s Mouth

'Straight from the horse's mouth, mate. I'm telling you. Have a couple of bob each way.' These words raised in my memory when at fifteen years old walking home after school beside thoroughbred racing stables in Deagon where I lived at the time.
Looking back to this memory over half a century ago if I acted each time to the number of people telling me their information 'straight from the horse's mouth' I'd be a millionaire twenty times over. Little did I realise at the time these young apprentice jockeys giving me information understood what they spoke about.
Some of these apprentice jockeys went on to become 'Kings Of The Turf'. How would a fifteen-year-old youth consider a crystal ball for the future? Throughout my life I followed these young apprentice jockeys throughout their racing career to reach the heights of winning all the major races in Australia. How fortunate am I to have connected with these 'Kings Of The Turf’?
Each afternoon I stopped to speak with these apprentice jockeys. Mick Ditman. His complaint: age and weight had allowed him to ride in races nor trials. Another apprentice jockey, Len Cook had a similar complaint. Each similar age to myself. These two apprentice jockeys went on to become Australian's finest 'Kings Of The Turf.'
Len Hill another apprentice jockey I often spoke with on my journey home from school. Each time these words 'straight from the horse's mouth' echoed in my mind, if at the time this information about the horses they tipped, I'd become a full-time punter. Eventually all three jockeys became Australian finest horsemen winning major races throughout the country and city.
Thoroughbred Racing in Australia is 'Sport of Kings'. Owners, trainers, jockeys are treated like royalty particularly when Melbourne Cup is run first Tuesday in November each year. Wagering on this race alone goes into billions of dollars. Each punter hoping their horse will win to provide a dividend. My imagination goes wild at the number of times a punter repeats these words, 'straight from the horse's mouth' to induce a wager.
After a lifetime of wagering on horses; in my latter years I don't have a wager. In fact, my knowledge of the name of the horses in the Melbourne Cup, I hadn't a clue little wonder having a wager.
In high school I ran a Melbourne Cup sweep. The year Bart Cummings won his first Melbourne Cup. Some years later I had the good fortune to meet the 'King Of Melbourne Cups' when I investigated a complaint received from the man himself. Roy Higgins sat beside him. His motor vehicle had been stolen. My off-sider and I captured the offender, returned the keys to the great man himself. His words, 'straight from the horse’s mouth. Have a couple of dollars on my horse tomorrow in the cup.' His horse won the Doomben Cup with Roy Higgins riding.
Word count: 496
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:34 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 26:

That's Not Funny

Advertised on channel seven is a programme 'Little Big Shots' soon to be shown about young children performing unbelievable acts in front of an audience. Jacob Jorgensen compares this show. In one scene, he is speaking with a male child who makes a comment causing the audience to laugh. Without hesitation, the child turns to the audience says, ‘that’s not funny’. My ribs hurt from laughing.
What caused me to indulge in this fit of laughter? Obviously, the manner how the child delivered the words ‘that’s not funny’ to the audience with such innocence not understanding what he said would cause others to laugh with him. What caused me to laugh so much to cause my ribs to ache from these words? Again, I think the words spoken by the child showed such innocence, straight facial features, clearly not understanding his expression.
Come to think about my actions I do apologise for laughing because I should’ve shown more restraint to not poke fun at another person, especially a young child who showed his innocence. Why do we do these things. When I think back to the incident; the child’s action and words ‘that’s not funny’ still causes a stir in my stomach to make my ribs ache. Human nature I suppose. I don’t really have an answer only my ignorance.
These words wouldn’t have been written into the script. You wouldn’t think for the child to say them after looking at the audience. Natural talent shown by the young child. His reply innocent probable not realising what he said or how he said these words would’ve had such an impact on the audience as well as myself.
Laughter is great for our soul. If we laugh more than cry our minds fill with joy instead of sadness, our lives would improve. I have a friend who is a laughter instructor. Susan travels the country conducting laughter session with companies for their employees. When she started this programme a decade ago she approached me with the idea to become a laughter instructor. At the time, I thought she needed treatment. She proved me wrong.
On a Sunday afternoon at Coolum Beach Susan perform a laughter session. I didn’t participate. Others whom performed this session followed Susan’s instructions, laughing, laughing with more laughter. How proud to have these people laugh from the bottom of their stomach to throw back their heads in laughter.
Susan’s success with her passion motivated me to work harder at my writing. If Susan’s success mirrored my writing, my success would follow. Since first meeting Susan helping her with the business of laughter she has succeeded to be one of the best in the business on laughter. She is in demand for her services.
That’s not funny because if Susan can make others laugh plus the actions of this small child on the up and coming television show, I can put aside my inhabitations to laugh with them.
Word count: 496
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:05 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 27:

The Day I Cooked The Books

During the late 1970’s in Australia many businesses adopted a system to reduce paying their taxes to the Commonwealth. This system ‘Bottom Of The Harbour Scheme’. I’ll share a story of my knowledge to this scheme.
Around this time, I worked part-time for a trucking business at Dalby on the outskirts of the Darling Downs. My role repair field bins. Another of my tasks to answer the telephone, record the messages for the owner to read on his return to the office. This being a part-time job I worked one full day a week.
Many times, I became the only person in the office to answer the telephone, record messages. One occasion a telephone call from another business person down the road wanted to contact the Boss about something important. No mobile telephones in those days. My only chance to hold onto the messages until the Boss returned.
When he returned I immediately told him about his messages including the emergency to contact his business friend. ‘I’ll phone him later. I want to thank you for taking care of business in my absence. Anytime you want a fulltime job.’ My Boss told me.
This being a second job, I couldn’t leave my permanent position. I thanked him for his offer declined under the circumstances. Before I left he wanted to speak to me about something important.
‘These telephone calls you’ve been receiving in my absence is from so-and-so down the road.’ His machinery business sold more farm machinery than any other business on the Darling Downs.
‘Yes.’ I explained.
‘He’s got me tied up in a scheme called ‘Bottom Of The Harbour Scheme’. Great idea he came up with to reduce tax paid to the Commonwealth.’ The Boss explained, taking me into his confidence.
‘Yes.’ Blank look on my face appeared not to understand.
‘Thought I’d share with you. Saved me thousands of dollars last year. I purchased another house down the Gold Coast.’ My mind exploded with visions of this other house.
‘Wow! How does this scheme work?’ My interest obviously showed to think I may be interested.
‘We place our money into movie deals. Claim the money as a tax deduction.’ He explained.
The penny never dropped. ‘How do you make money?’ I queried.
‘We don’t. Whatever money we invest, the money is a tax deduction at the end of the year. Hence the name ‘Bottom Of The Harbour Scheme’’.
‘Excuse my ignorance. How do you make money from investing into movie deals when they don’t make money?’ I queried.
‘The day I cooked the books to show how much money we invest. No movie has made any money at this stage. Deduction for loss returns to us at the end of the year through our tax returns.’ The Boss explained everything.
‘Sorry, I don’t understand. All I do understand is you cooked the books. I don’t understand what these words mean. Hope you’re never caught.’ I finished my employment immediately with this Boss.
Word count: 506
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 28:

The Family Plot

Technology provides us with instant information. I have cousins living in America who I’ve never met only on Facebook. One of these cousins established ‘The Ritter Family’ Group on Facebook. Since this happened many of the Ritter family have posted photographs, stories, information to be read only by members of this group.
Fascinating to view photographs of my grandmother’s grandmother dating back to early 1800. Other photographs with description of Ritter relatives also posted by different family members. The Family Plot started back in 1800’s in Prussia. My family in those times left their home country. Seven brothers, descendants of the Ritter family.
Four brothers migrated to America whilst three took up residents in Australia. My great, great Grandfather, Nicholas Ritter, started at Goulburn in New South Wales. My Grandfather, Peter Ritter, left his family at Goulburn travelled to Cunnamulla around 1880.
Immediate Ritter family originated from this time in Cunnamulla. Grandfather Peter Ritter meet and married Daisy Sharpe, also a resident of Cunnamulla. Together they raised eleven children. My father being a twin and second eldest. Ritter family left Cunnamulla around 1935 settling in Spring Hill, Brisbane.
On my mother’s side of the family, my grandmother, born in Cunnamulla in 1903. Her father, Joe Ryan, a shearer, instigated ‘The Great Shearers Strike in 1891’ in Cunnamulla in the hope of gaining improved working conditions for the shearers. The strike failed. My great Grandmother lost her life whilst giving birth to the youngest in the family. My grandmother ten years old at the time.
With the death of his wife my great Grandfather, Joe Ryan, gave his four daughters away ‘like a litter of pups’ to the townsfolk in Cunnamulla. My grandmother never found her youngest sister Nellie, taken by relatives. My grandmother taken in by the owner of the drapery store who was harsh and cruel.
At fourteen my grandmother left Cunnamulla to work on a sheep property as a house maid. She returned to Cunnamulla four years later. At this time, World War 1 ended, she met my grandfather. Soon married to have a family of seven daughters. My mother being the second eldest.
Both families were close. Around 1935 both families left Cunnamulla to settle in Brisbane. Ritter family settling in Spring Hill whilst my mother’s family lived at Ascot. Shortly after World War 11 my parents married. A year later I was born.
The Family Plot has given me total respect for the hardships each family endured from their early days beginning at Goulburn until the time I remember the many visits to my grandmother’s home in Spring Hill. Such great memories. With the introduction of Facebook, I can travel back in time to witness the various photographs, stories especially of my ancestor’s history which go deep into the past.
Hope you have enjoyed reading ‘The Family Plot’ as much I must collect the information and write the story.
Word count: 492
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 29:

The Ghost Inside My Head

Being an author the ghost inside my head always appear in my imagination. Take for instance the current novel I’m writing The Year That Never Was. Indeed, a strange title you may think. This novel is the fourth in Australian Outback Series beginning in 1890 with ‘The Great Shearers Strike’.
The Year That Never Was begins before Australia is a nation. Britain is fighting in South Africa in ‘The Boar War of 1899 to 1902’. Joe Gibson, who is a major character in this series decides to join the fight with his friend Billy Campbell to show their patriotic duty as a Queenslander plus to the British Empire. Both enlist. In October 1899, they board SS Cornwall at Brisbane for their journey to South Africa.
Neither Joe or Billy had ever fought in a war. 22nd December 1899, their ship docks at Port Elizabeth in South Africa. The ghost inside my head formulate a conversation in my imagination on how to make Joe a hero. When Joe, Billy with five hundred other Queensland soldiers arrive on South African shores no Top Brass from the British army meet them. Joe takes control to become their leader directing soldiers to wait until the Top Brass arrive.
After two hours of waiting finally a Top Brass member arrives to find Joe took control. Under instructions they board a train to Pretoria a journey to take two days. Joe’s troop board the train for their journey.
The ghost inside my head worked hard to determine what would happen next. Half way to Pretoria the train is attacked by Boar soldiers. Joe instructs his men to open fire on the enemy. All are killed together with ten of his own men. Before continuing with their journey all dead are buried beside the railway track.
Christmas Eve arrived whilst Joe and his band of merry men are on the train. The Conductor, who only speaks Africana explained his discovery of Champagne. Joe orders all bottles to be distributed amongst the troop including the driver and conductor. Merriment to enjoy Christmas Eve is enjoyed by all.
Once the liquor is finished Joe decides to return the empty Champagne bottles to the cartons to be stored where they were taken. If later someone found empty bottles, Joe would deny any knowledge of the contents. The journey continues onto Pretoria. The ghost inside my head worked overtime to figure out what would happen next.
Arriving at Pretoria Joe is instructed to follow a soldier from the train to an awaiting carriage. Joe has no idea what’s going to happen or reasons why he has been taken from the train. Arriving at Military headquarters office he is confronted by Lord Roberts who is the Commander in Transvaal Region.
The ghost inside my head tells me Joe is to be honoured by this Commander for fighting the Boars on their journey. Joe thought someone must have told the Commander about the liquor. What will happen to Joe and his soldiers?
This will be questioned created by the ghost inside my head.
Word count: 519
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 30:

The Last Thing On My Mind

The last thing on my mind before I go to sleep at night is words to write for Pomona Writers Group topic. Ideas float through my mind imagining the story to share with my fellow writers. Like for instance a book I read recently. Messages from the book repeated in my mind. A great story of boy meets girl under harsh conditions; girl falls in love with boy.
Nothing new with this story of romance. Father of girl tries in vain to stop both from becoming a couple until girl is involved in an accident. Boy saves girl. All is forgiven by father. Boy and girl live happily ever after. Typical of romance novel.
Ready to read on my kindle e-reader are fifty books. Daily or whenever I have an opportunity I read as often as possible. Some novels are deleted after the first page. Others, which are few, I read from start to finish; like the story I’ve told you. I read as many stories from different authors as I can. My reason because when I’m reading a story I place myself into the seat of the author.
The last thing on my mind is to criticise the author, although, I must admit I falter when glaring mistakes, such as spelling, punctuation, grammar. I can’t do anything about these errors only ensure I don’t make similar errors to my readers. Writing a book is tough work. Takes heaps of guts, patience, and a huge amount of self-discipline to complete the task.
If I have a good book to read nothing better than to seep into the words, devour them the author has written. I love when the story has taken over my mind in such a way I can’t put the book down. For instance, each evening I look forward to the daily news on television. If I have a book which over-rides this daily practice, I can’t put the book down until the news is finished, this is the type of story I want to read.
To become a competent author, one needs to read as much as they write. Behind this fable lies truth of an author. My journey to become an author has taken many, many years from writing in long-hand on a foolscap ruled paper to now directly type the story onto a computer. Practice, practice and more practice to become an author takes self-confidence to another level.
The last thing on my mind after I complete a novel is to ask myself if I enjoyed writing this story for my enjoyment plus the enjoyment of the reader. If my answer is ‘yes’; I’m satisfied. Daily I test the waters to determine if my stories are accepted by my readers by posting a page from a book I’ve written and published onto a group on Facebook for over nine and half thousand members to read daily. This is my barometer to measure if my readers enjoy the story I’ve written.
After posting this page onto Facebook I receive from ten to twenty comments plus ‘likes’ daily from members on this group. Comments amuse me when the member asked, ‘what’s going to happen next?’ I’ve been posting this page daily onto Facebook over eight years. I am truly amazed by the number of members who comment daily plus the extra numbers who join the group.
The last thing on my mind with my writing to improve each time I write a story, novel or a message.
Word count: 590
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter