Crawley vs Wimbledon

Founded 5th century
Borough status 1974

"I Grow and I Rejoice"
  • Author
Re: League Two

Postby steveizy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Crawley 4 Cheltenham 2

Great result for Tubbs-less Crawley especially after the work put in by fans to clear the pitch of snow in the days leading up to this match. Our new signings all made brilliant appearances with Sanchez Watt scoring twice on his home debut. :clap

Unfortunately this was the first home match that I have missed this season. I haven't been that great this week ...man-flu probably, but that and being bent over double after a stint of plastering left me feeling totally unable to go. A triple whammy for me. I was keen to see our new signings in action and it seems that they all played very well, Cheltenham were top of the table and I hate missing football :cry I had to settle for live commentary from the Reds Player instead.

Cheltenham took an early lead against the run of play when in the 4th minute their Luke Garbutt hit a low ball into the bottom of our net from outside the penalty area. We weren't behind for long though - in the 12th minute Sanchez Watt got the equaliser and his first Crawley goal with a long drive from outside the area. By all accounts this goal was class :clap Then, in the 14th minute Barnett was on hand to hit another long one into the top of the goal. Class again! :clap in the 39th minute Barnett was on hand again to hit another one from the edge of the box again into the top of the goal :clap HT 3-1

The second half started with Crawley in control again and Cheltenham adopted the risky strategy of using all three of their substitutions at around the hour mark. It didn't help though as Sanchez Watt hit his second from close-in just after that, in the 64th minute :clap 4-1 with 25 minutes to go is a winning score but Cheltenham weren't having any of that and 10 minutes later their Darryl Duffy got a consolation goal from close range. 4-2 with 15 minutes to go! But we held on!

Karl Hawley was brought on as a substitute for fellow débutante Billy Clarke in the 86th minute and, by all accounts, put in a good show for his first few minutes of action in a Crawley shirt. Final whistle 4-2.

Great result for The Reds and puts us back at the top of the table on goal difference over Cheltenham but we still have a game in hand.

Hopefully by Saturday I will have recovered from this dreadful illness and am looking forward to our next home match against 18th place Aldershot which kicks off at 3:00pm. We played them earlier, away, in the season and won by a single goal. Unless yesterday's match was a one-off, I cannot see anything other than a Crawley win but anything can happen in football.
:crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf COME ON YOU REDS! :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 3
dub, goodtimesdisco, Nevis
steveizy
Support
Support

Have thanks: 482 times
Highscores: 2

Advertisement

Postby steveizy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Crawley P - Aldershot P

Sorry folks with Crawley touching -12 degrees overnight, it didn't really stand a chance :cry:

Hoping that our game away at Swindon on Tuesday evening goes ahead... starting to get "football withdrawal symptoms" !!

:crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf COME ON YOU REDS! :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, goodtimesdisco
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby dub » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:40 pm

steveizy wrote:Crawley P - Aldershot P

Sorry folks with Crawley touching -12 degrees overnight, it didn't really stand a chance :cry:

Hoping that our game away at Swindon on Tuesday evening goes ahead... starting to get "football withdrawal symptoms" !!

Lets hope the break doesn't break the squads stride (this unscheduled downtime) and they come back stronger.
Will have to source some good footy games for the arcade to help with your withdrawal symptoms at times like these. :-D
:reddevils Even Bigger challenges ahead, for instance Stoke on the 19th of Feb :crawleyscarf I bet you guys are all fired :firey up for the match.
Happy Days
:mz

For this message the author dub has received thanks: 2
goodtimesdisco, steveizy
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Swindon 3 - Crawley 0

Sometimes it is hard to sit down and write about something, particularly when it's not pleasant. This is one of those times.

After a bright start, Crawley were outplayed by a very strong Swindon team. That's it. There isn't much to add except that the Crawley side did not bear any resemblance to the team that beat Cheltenham the week before despite only one change. Scott Shearer was left out, injured, and Kuipers replaced him in goal. Kuipers looked rusty, having not played first team football since our home defeat to Swindon back in September. But it wasn't only Kuipers - the whole team seemed lacking in all departments and Swindon were very good. Enough said.

Crawley now drop to fifth place in league 2 behind Swindon on goal difference but both Crawley and Swindon have two games in hand over the top three and are only a point adrift so there will be plenty of changes in the top places. Crawley, of course, will miss another league game this weekend as we are playing the FA Cup match against Stoke on Sunday while all the other teams are playing so Crawley will probably find themselves in sixth place on Saturday evening.

Next- up in the league is at home to Morecambe on Wednesday 22nd February. We will be keen to win this match, preferably convincingly, so as to get revenge for the 6-0 tonking they gave us at Morecambe last year!

But before that all eyes are on our biggest match ever to be staged at Broadfield when we entertain Premier League Stoke City in the 5th round of the FA Cup. This is a sellout and will be the biggest gate at Broadfield so far. Stoke suffered a defeat on Thursday to Valencia but they will probably play a completely different side against us. We can win this but it will be tough and it really depends on Crawley raising their game. Win or lose, it will be a great occasion!

dub, goodtimesdisco, wired
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby wired » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:38 am

:crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf :crawleyscarf

Come on Crawley :thunbsup

For this message the author wired has received thanks: 2
dub, steveizy
wired
Tech
Tech

Have thanks: 52 times

Re: FA Cup

Postby steveizy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:53 am

Crawley 0 Stoke 2

The dream is over until next year. This was a much more even match than the score suggests and Crawley had more possession, more corners and more shots on goal than Stoke but they didn't get the goals. Stoke's first was a penalty and the second came from a Peter Crouch header. We had two penalty calls turned down as well as them hitting their own crossbar and, in the closing minutes, a ball cleared off their goal after their keeper was beaten. The referee has been criticised by fans of both teams and Stoke's appeal against the sending-off of one of their players (Delap) has been successful - adding to claims about the referee but I'll leave that to others. The sending-off was debatable as contact was made with the ball in a fierce lunging tackle on David Hunt who later limped off and needed stitches to a 4" gash on his fractured foot. A hard tackle indeed! but this happens in football. Most of the Crowd, both Stoke and Crawley were shocked that after consultation with the 4th official Lee Probert, a straight red card was shown to Delap. A yellow would have been fairer in just about everyone's eyes.

The sending-off worked in Stoke's favour as they seemed to galvanise better as a team and became a better, more fluent side. Stoke came back into the game after an initial barrage from The Reds when Peter Crouch nearly scored an own goal only to be beaten by the woodwork! Then, in the 41st minute another controversial decision! - a penalty for them for an innocuous challenge by McFadzean. Jonathan Walters hammered it home. Half time 0-1.

The second half was more balanced with both teams having chances but Stoke got another goal in the 52nd minute when Peter Crouch rose above everybody and headed home. Barnett, Howell, Torres and Watt all had shots at goal as Crawley got a bit stronger as the half progressed. In injury time another missed penalty for us as their Collins used his elbow to clear the ball from the goal line. Full time 0-2.

Oh well fifth round of the FA Cup two years running is not bad really for a club in it's first year in the League!

Now back to reality. Focus is now 100% on winning automatic promotion to League One... or is it?

Follow my League Two pages for the remainder of the matches this season :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Crawley 1 - Morecambe 1

A dreadful first half from Crawley resulted in Morecambe going into the break one up. We started brightly and put them under a bit of pressure but several chances were missed by poor finishing. We were mainly pestering Morecambe when their goal came off a break.

The second half was a bit better with big John Akinde on for Sergio Torres who seemed off form. John made an impression and charged through their defence and this did help. Scott Nielson came on as a substitute for new player Karl Hawley who had not really got into the game at all. This payed off as Scott drove home in the 49th minute off a ball from Billy Clarke. After this we pushed and pushed but, with a few saves, it was mostly our finishing that was lacking. Full time 1-1

This draw sees us in sixth place in the league, five points behind the leaders Swindon but we have a game in hand on them and two or three games in hand over the other teams above us but games in hand are not points on the table.

This match was played without Tyrone Barnett who has gone to Peterborough for £1.4 million and so soon after the departure of Matt Tubbs, it leaves Crawley with what can only be described as an untried front line and it looks like this will have to be worked on if Crawley are serious in their bid for promotion. We didn't get to see new loan signing striker Shaun Batt from Millwall this evening which was a shame.

I hope I'm wrong but with Barnett gone now, I think we will struggle to make automatic promotion but will probably make the playoffs. We as fans understand that key players are sold and in this case for a huge sum by League Two standards and it would be no good trying to stand in a player's way, but the timing of this sucks!

The next few matches are crucial... next we are away to fellow high flyers Shrewsbury on Monday evening . We beat them 2-1 back in October but they are a point ahead of us but we have two games in hand. Off course our team on Monday will be slightly different to the team back then.

I'm going on the coach and will report back!

dub, goodtimesdisco, Nevis
steveizy
Support
Support

PreviousNext

Return to CRAWLEY